Chest Pain

Hi.

i was at my EP appt this morning and told him how much my chest hurts at times. Pain...but sometimes just tight and sometimes up my throat. Always... related to how long i have been upright. It hurts so bad sometimes. My EP thinks it is related to my hr but even when my hr is controlled on toprol I still get the pain. It makes me lay down!! If I lay flat for a couple of hours it can go away.....or lessen considerable. Does anyone else get this...I know I have read some who do....any ideas why?

Thanks!!! :)

Erika

wish i could tell you! I've had chest pain at various times that has always been atypical-- and been tested up and down. If it's new, I would make sure your doc takes you seriously. Right now, it's a lot better since getting the other ans symptoms under control. IT was debilitating last summer.

wish I could be more helpful, too. I have several different kinds of chestpain, no doubt caused by a variety of factors. I do most definitely get the kind you are talking of. It is heart rate related to a degree, I think, as it's not as bad now that through medication my heart rate is not as high. I also think, in my case, it's related to blood pressure dropping. If I've been upright for more than a few minutes, I rarely have a measurable blood pressure. Think the heart just isn't getting enough blood back into it. Like any muscle, I suppose this causes that achy-ness.

I have CP frequently and I would love to know why. Some times it goes along with bradycardia. I can't walk any decent amount of distance without having CP. It's very frustrating. I've tried anti-inflams with no relief. I'm thankful my stress test was negative and I'm only 37. It doesn''t make it any less frustrating though!! Sorry no answers from here but great question!! I have the throat tightening a lot too. HMMMM!

Brye

Interesting that you brought up the stress test. When I have been up and active for a while, my EKG begins to get slightly abnormal. I have been admitted to the hospital for this a few times before my POTS diagnosis (now I just stay home). BUT in the morning after resting my EKG would be normal again. Anyone else?

Also....my cardiologist from a few years back (pre-pots) said my EKG had changed since POTS. But when I saw him it was in the afternoon...I bet if it was in the am it would have been ok..!

Erika

The stress test was a good thing for me. It clearly demonstrated that I lose measurable blood pressure quickly after assuming an upright position. Yeah, I've had tilt table testing, but the stress test is something that more health care professionals are able to relate to, I believe. My EKG during stress testing was slightly abnormal, too. Again, anyone's guess as we're dealing with a few irregularities. This helped point out to many what I was actually dealing with. Yeah, they should all understand the ramifications of a failed tilt table test, but in reality, they don't. The stress test is much more readily understood.

My stress test was in the a.m. and had no abnormalities. I didn't have any CP though during my stress test and they were afraid I would pass out if they got to that point. I would love a good EKG while I was having my CP and I would feel a whole lot better. I just have this horrible fear that there is some small ischemic event going on every time I attempt a good walking pace.

Brye

Last year I had a huge saga on this front. Chest pain led to adenosine thallium streee test led to false positive led to cardiac cath which was normal. once i could stabilize my bp and hr, the has been better. i still sometimes get cp, but a lot less. if ischemia means inadequate blood flow, then that may be accurate--even if it's not from a blockage