Information On Diastolic Dysfunction

hello all,

searched "diastolic dysfunction".... found nothing...

does anyone have information/experience...

recently diagnosed with situational dysautonomia/hypovolemia/venous pooling/probable IST... and stage I diastolic dysfunction...

awaiting final report from cleveland... but in the interim any information would be greatly appreciated...

healthful wishes to all.

peace,

cordelia

Hi Cordelia,

the best thing to do is to ask for more information from the doctors that did the tests. Diastolic dysfunction is a term used to describe movement of the ventricles of the heart. Between heart beats (contractions) the left ventricle relaxes and is filled with blood. Sometimes the heart muscle doesn't relax or remains a bit stiff that is called diastolic dysfunction. However sometimes a normal heart looks like it has diastolic dysfunction because it is too full of blood but is actually working fine.

Hopefully you'll get more info from the doctors but in the mean time I found this on wikipedia.

Flop

Hi, my echo just found left vertricular diastolic dysfunction (relaxation phase). Which means the heart isn't filling all the way after a contraction. My ejection fraction that is measured along with this is still normal.

So you need to find out what your ejection fraction is before you worry and what phase. Stage 1 if your ejection fraction isn't normal is the first phase of congestive heart failure. Many people have this and it never progresses beyond and is very treatable at this stage. It will need to be followed though to make sure you don't get worse.

hello,

thank you so much for responding.

was informed that DD can progress to heart failure even if the EF is quote' normal.'

am unsure about the mechanics and hemodynamics involved.

will see cardiologist locally. scheduled cleveland teleconference for next week to discuss the DD finding

and its implication. i will post any additional information.

hope to explore dietary and sodium restriction; paced fluid intake; cardiac rehab....

peace,

cordelia

• 2 weeks later...

Cordelia and all,

I was just diagnosed with the same problem, but it was after a syncope and terrible problems catching my breath when walking stairs, leaning over and lying down in the bed.

Stage 1 of congestive heart failure (CHF) is symptom-free, so I believe that with my symptoms I am further along than that.

Flop has good advice to check out the wikipedia page.

The only connection I have found between POTS and CHF is info from Dr. Byron Hyde, who treats M.E., where both conditions are considered common, and from Dr. Paul Cheney, who treats CFS and believes it is mostly a cardiac disease of POTS, etc.

I went to my CFS doctor on Monday in Charlotte to discuss this. He suggested that Dr. Cheney is nuts. He stated that he had seen these cardiac results before in POTS patients but had absolutely no advice whatsoever as to whether it was dangerous, would progress like normal CHF, if it was caused by my 20 years of uncontrolled high blood pressure from H-POTS, whether I should cut down my activities or anything else.

COULD I ASK FOR SOME HELP FROM THE GROUP?....

The cardio nurse called me to tell me I had flunked my echocardiogram and it showed left ventricular diastolic dysfunction and abnormal left hear filing, but that would not cause my trouble breathing. This is very odd, as the trouble breathing was why I was given the test! She claimed that it was some kind of "coincidence" and I needed to go to another doctor for trouble breathing.

I asked for an appointment to have this explained to me by the doctor, but she refused to let me see him until I was compliant and took their treadmill test. She insisted that I stop taking my beta blockers and clonidine before the treadmill test.

My PCP called back and got me an appointment with the head cardiologist at this heart mill (23 doctors); he was pretty angry. Dr. Cheney and the renowned M.E. expert, Dr. Byron Hyde (www.nightingale.ca) state on their websites that treadmills and related exercise are very dangerous for people with POTS and left ventricular diastolic diagnoses (if related to CFS or M.E>) and not to do them, so I will not do it.

Any advice or experience with this in the group?

Cornelia, I hope you can get some straight answers. I will PM you when I get more information on my situation.

Hugs to all

Elegia

i was told the same thing by my dys doc, that i was showing signs of diastolic dysfunction and that i needed to get my bp up. i am way on the low end of the scale. i haven't seen him since and that was 4 months ago. he is sick, and i won't see him again for at least another month or 2. but, i try not to worry about it. it showed it on my last ttt, which i thought looked "normal", but that's what he said.

when and if i ever get to see him again, will ask what about this DD junk your laying on me.

will come back and give info that i am given.

sorry, you are going thru this.