Too Sick To Cope....

Hi everyone,

I haven't been around for a few days because I have been so sick. I wasn't feeling too good to start with, when my bad tooth that is broken down to the gumline took off hurting. The whole side of my face, and head and all the way down to my chest hurt. The reason I haven't taken care of this yet is because the last bad crash I had started because I tried going to the dentist, and took and antibiotic, which sent me into a one year spiral of missery. And the worst part was I never made it to the dentist. I took the antibiotic, and my body freaked out. So my tooth took off hurting a few nights ago, (and to be honest I have lost all track of time, and can't remember when.) and I couldn't take the pain. I was ready to take anything to stop hurting. I found myself huddled on the floor crying hysterically, and decided to risk taking something for the pain. My mistake. I took some childrens tylenol, so I could just take a little at a time. I took all the way up to a pediatric dose for an 11 year old. It did numb the pain somewhat, but the price I paid wasn't worth it. From there I went into a tailspin of confusion, pain, severe headache, the list goes on and on. The brain pain and confusion were enough in itself to make me regret the decision. The only thing I remember of the last few days after I took the tylenol was moment after moment of pain and misery. And thankfully that is kind of blurry. I don't think that Drs., or nurses, fully understand what I mean when I say I can't take meds. I think they think I mean I don't want to. I REALLY do. I wanted more then anything to just pop a codeine the other day, and feel better, not worse. But no not me, I take childrens tylenol, and feel like I am dying. Now my kidneys hurt, my vision is messed up, but at least I am coherent today. Do you guys think that this is just from my inability to metabolize drugs? Why can't this be easier??!!

Suzy

Hi Suzy,

I don't really know if your current problems are from you body's inability to metabolize the tylenol or from exacerbation of your autonomic symptoms. Either way, I'm so sorry. I just posted about needing to take narcotics occasionally for my burning skin pain. I can't imagine having to take nothing at all. Oh, I wish you didn't have to go through this....

Hugs :rolleyes:

Janie

Hi Janie,

Thanks so much for the support. Sorry you have to take narcotics for burning skin. That must feel just miserable. I am going to try catching up on what's going on with every one this morning while my brain is still functioning. I wish you didn't have to go through this either. Sometimes the only thing that makes it bearable is knowing we are not alone. Take care.

Hugs

Suzy

As I have posted on this forum before there are tests out there now that can determine if you can metabolize meds. I took it myself and it has made all the difference in my life, it takes the guess work out of this issue. Pharmacogenetic testing is rapidly becoming a part of responsible medical practice. It gives physicians the ability ot know in advance how a patient will metabolize prescribed medications, reducing the risk of adverse drug reactions and making it possible to prescribe the right dose for maximum therapeutic effect the first time. I took this test in 07, it's very easy, either a blood draw or mouth swab and wait for the results. I have pages of meds I can't take and now when a doctor wants me to try another med all I do is call my doctor at this lab and she personally tells me if I can metabolize the drug or not. The web site for this is www.pgxlab.com. They have a phone number right on the site and you can talk to someone right away about your health issues. I can't stress how helpful this has been to me. Hope this helps you.

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

I haven't read your previous posts on this, but I have had some of the tests done. I was missing a gene for cyp2d6. They want me to come back for the next one coming out, because he suspects that I am going to hae trouble with more then one gene. I got a printout of what I couldn't take, but I was never told I could call to find out. Where do you go? I had mine done at Mayo in AZ. And you know the worst part of this is I have the list, but I was so out of it with already being sick, and the pain, that I didn't even think to look at the list. For all I know acetametaphine could be on it....Duhhh....I feel dumb now. Have you found anything you can take?? I became so sick because I took medicine for over a year, even though I was getting sicker and sicker on it. I think I overloaded my liver, and may have caused some damage. Now it doesn't seem to matter what I take I end up feeling very bad. I am a little more with it today, but I feel like I am coming and going in reality. Thank you for sharing this with me. I am glad to know I am not the only one. Take care.

SuzY

Suzy,

How timely. I just went to the dentist today for some throbbing tooth pain, and we had to go through the pre-medicate or not...I usually do have to pre-medicate, so when I found out I need a crown for one of my molars, I wasn't too excited. Amoxicillin usually makes me pretty sick, too. I really am sorry about all the problems and pain you're going through right now. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Hugs,

Jana

I am sorry you are in such pain. Everytime I go to the dentist for a filling I end up sicker than ever. I wish I had an answer for you. Even if you have genetic testing you still won't be able to tolerate the drugs. I've had a lot of allergy testing done for different medicines & hormones. I've spent alot of money & I'm no better off. You're right the dr's usually don't believe we can't take the meds. I've had them say I was paranoid or had a fear of drugs, what a lie. After 40 years of trying different med's I guess I do have a fear of them now. I've nearly died more than once from prescribed & OTC meds. I can't even remember what drug allergies I have now there are so many. I know the 3 drugs I can take small doses of & that's all I try to remember. Just keep trying the tiny doses of things you know you can take. I found I could take 1/2 of a reg Tylenol better than I could tolerate children's Tylenol. There's usually dyes in the childrens products. Don't give up.

Hi Jana,

I have read that you have some heart problems on here. Is it because of the pacemaker that you have to take the amoxicilin? When I took it the last time I had a dental appointment I went to the cardiologist who prescribed it to me, and he determined I was having an allergic reaction. Which it did somewhat feel like one, but I didn't get hives or anything from it, and I get hives a lot. I was fine with the first pill, but you have to take four of those what are they 250 mg pills. About 10 minutes after the second one I started to go numb, and it was downhill from there. Now if I go I can't take amoxicillin, and have to take the next one on the list, which has way more side effects. The dentist pulling my tooth said I didn't need to take it, but I am very concerned about getting an infection in my heart, as I was told to always take it because I have insuficent valves. But he asked me if I had any mechanical parts, and I said no, so he said I shouldn't need it. Of course I went searching on the internet, and found a story about a guy who thinks everyone should take them, because his mother got a abcess in her brain right after dental work, and died :o ! So right now the plyers in the shed are looking like a good alternative!!! When are you having your crown done? I sure wish there was a different way to protect us from the endocardidtis. I hope you don't have any trouble taking the antibiotic. You know it is sad, as a kid I never had trouble with antibiotics. I think my body is just tired.

Hugs

Suzy

Hi Jana,

I have read that you have some heart problems on here. Is it because of the pacemaker that you have to take the amoxicilin? When I took it the last time I had a dental appointment I went to the cardiologist who prescribed it to me, and he determined I was having an allergic reaction. Which it did somewhat feel like one, but I didn't get hives or anything from it, and I get hives a lot. I was fine with the first pill, but you have to take four of those what are they 250 mg pills. About 10 minutes after the second one I started to go numb, and it was downhill from there. Now if I go I can't take amoxicillin, and have to take the next one on the list, which has way more side effects. The dentist pulling my tooth said I didn't need to take it, but I am very concerned about getting an infection in my heart, as I was told to always take it because I have insuficent valves. But he asked me if I had any mechanical parts, and I said no, so he said I shouldn't need it. Of course I went searching on the internet, and found a story about a guy who thinks everyone should take them, because his mother got a abcess in her brain right after dental work, and died :o ! So right now the plyers in the shed are looking like a good alternative!!! When are you having your crown done? I sure wish there was a different way to protect us from the endocardidtis. I hope you don't have any trouble taking the antibiotic. You know it is sad, as a kid I never had trouble with antibiotics. I think my body is just tired.

Hugs

Suzy

Hi alicia,

You are so right. I didn't think about the dye in the tylenol. You are also right about the genetic testing. I already know I am missing one gene, but it doesn't make it any easier when I need to take something like the antibiotic I will still have trouble with it. But it does help with not having to argue with the doctors about why I can't tollerate the meds. It is sad, because I am starting to wonder why I go. I feel like I can't take anything they offer, so why try. I've been told I was afraid of medicine also, and I was really sick, and being threatened to keep taking the medicine. I luckily found one doctor who believed the medicine was at least in part to blame, and told me to stop taking it. (xanax) But he wasn't my regular doctor, and with the possibility that they might be to blame, none of the doctors who did the prescribing would help me get off. I begged them to put me in a detox, which was recommended by the doctor, but they wouldn't, and told me to drop half a dose for 3 days, and I would be done. After 12 hours from my last dose I went into the emergency room having fits. I am fairly certain I had a seizure, because I lost control of my bladder. I did the rest of the withdrawal myself on my living room floor. I was given anything I wanted to try and stop taking it. I wouldn't call someone who had to withdrawal from a drug someone who is just scared of them. Sorry...I didn't mean to go on like this...guess we just opened a can of my worms! Anyways thank you for the support, and I really understand what you are going through with the med thing also. PM me if you want to talk.

Suzy

Hi Suzy,

Yes, the antibiotic use if for my problem with cardiomyopathy and my pacemaker. If I take it with food, sometimes it's not too bad. Just going to the dentist freaks me out because I've had so much work done on my teeth. I never have 'just' a cavity, it's usually a root canal with a crown. This time it's just a crown from a badly decayed large filling, but I shudder just to think of that...I'm a wuss, I admit it. My initial appointment is next Wednesday, they'll prep the tooth and make a mold. I can hardly wait! :o

Hoping you're feeling better!

Jana

Sweetie.. I am sooo sorry for you !! DANG!!

Tylenol and other meds with acetameniphine sp? is BAD for your liver.

I just wonder if your LIVER cannot metabolize ANY meds..but esp with Acetamenaphine.

I liver DETOX..they can take blood work to see if you liver enzymes are too high.

When I over did the meds with a BAD toothache..I get loopy.. lost periods of time..spacing out..

only to find out my liver enzymes were way off the chart.

Good luck sweetie...I am praying for you

Jan

Hello,

I certainly feel for you with that toothache. I had that toothache over the weekend, and had to get an emergency root canal on Monday. Pain was better on Monday, but today I started having drop spells and a lot of mouth pain. Now, I am running a fever. I guess if I still have one in the morning I will call the endodontist and let them know so they can put me on an antibiotic. Blah.

I am allergic to antibiotics myself. I can't take penicillin or erythromycin.

Good luck!

Angela

Hi Jana, No one with pots and cardiomyopathy is a wuss! But I get where you are coming from with the dentist. I don't have a fear of the dentist, or the pain, mine is of the drugs or infection!! I know I can't get trough them extracting a tooth without any pain killer, so I already have to go there. Then if I take antibiotics I am just scared I will end up this bad for a long time. I will say a prayer for you that you will come through with flying colors next wednesday. Freaked out with ya!! Take care, I will be thinking of you.

Hi Jan, Yes every time I take even one dose of meds my liver enzymesgo up. I can't tell you how many times I have been checked for hepatitis. A,B,andC. It takes them a while to go back to the normal range. And when I had a MRI of my head because there was something behind my eye they were already up then too. After that I just thought I would die. Then I read some stuff on that, and I have the symptoms of some neuro disease related to gadolinium, the dye they used. I am wondering if that is what is causing the blisters on my back. I would do a liver detox, but really don't think my body would get through it right now. And besides I don't know a doctor who would do it. We don't realize how much that big organ in the center of our body does, but it is important, and I can tell you that just from that one pediatric dose of tylenol I was SICK! The worse part was it gave me a headache!! It's supposed to get rid of those!! :o ha ha! oh well! Thanks for the support.

Hi Angela, sorry about your tooth pain! I really hope you don't get an infection. That's why I am just having mine pulled. I feel for you. My tooth pain is better now, just the sickness left. Those are the 2 drugs that I can't take also. But like I said I turn numb, and strange feeling everywhere, then other stuff starts to happen, so I don't really know if it is an "allergic" reaction or not, but I don't want to take a chance. What do you usually end up taking instead??Thank you for the support, and I really hope that you get feeling better soon.

Thanks girls, as always you are all jewels!!

Hugs

Suzy

Suzy,

I'm sorry I haven't replied yet, but wanted to send a little support you way. I'm struggling to post, but I read a lot of the posts.

I feel for you, as I know all about dental issues. I went througha big ordeal last year, but it ended up working out well.

Fortunately I can tolerate tylenol, but I also have a very difficut time metabolizing drugs, and I'm terribly sensitive to antibiotics.

I was able to tolerate Ceftin fairly well when I had strep throat this past winter.

I hope you can get this behind you quickly.

It's frustrating when you get so sick, and you can't take anything to feel better.

HUGS,

Maxine :0)

awwwwwww Maxine, thank you...I know how it feels not to be able to post. As much as I want to sometimes I can't. I did come here for the last few days a couple of times, but nothing was making any sense to me. Thank you so much for your support. I will have to look up ceftin, maybe I could try that. I just hate being so darn sensitive.

Hugs back at you

Suzy

Hi Jennifer,

Than you so much....It means so much to me.

Hugs

Suzy