Prescription Pain Meds

Hola Everyone~

I've started taking Percocet for some chronic pain, and lately the pain has been worse so I've been taking 10 mgs with 650 acetominophen once daily. Anyone else? Did this affect your symptoms one way or another?

Thanks!

jana

I have a prescription for vicodin. I take on average about 1 to 3 pills a week (broken in half), although if the weather is warmer then my skin burns more so I take 1/2 to 1 pill a day. This is what I've noticed: narcotics act a lot like alcohol. They peripherally vasodilate while suppressing our sympathetic nervous system. If I'm going through a period of excessive adrenaline, like when I get these flushing episodes and my BP will be 150/100, then the narcotics help me feel so much better. I sometimes take a benadryl with it if I'm really over stimulated. But on average days when I'm struggling with pooling, narcotics make me feel more sluggish. But they are the only medication that gets this burning pain under control!

I've also noticed my body develops tolerances to these medications easily. If I take them at the same time for a week or so straight, I have more adrenaline-symptoms if I stop taking the pills. So I really try to tough things out except for on my worse days. Sometimes the pain is quite severe, though, for a couple weeks in a row and I have to take pain pills regularly just so I can sleep through it. Odd thing however, is that if I take more than 1/2 a pill at bedtime then I end up staying awake for hours! My mom has the same problem too. Either I stay awake from the pain or from too much narcotic. Wierd!

So basically, there are some days that narcotics really help me, especially if my adrenaline is pumping. Other days, I only take it when my burning pain is quite severe because it makes me pool more and I feel much more tired.

Hi Jana,

So sorry to hear you are going through this. I'm sure you know what a hard time I have with meds. I just tried tylenol sometime in the last few days, and ended up too sick. It is hard to try and find a balance of what helps, and what hurts. I hope you can find a balance of helps. Take care.

Hugs

Suzy

Suzy,

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm so sorry that you're having so many difficulties right now. I'm thinking of you often..get better soon, my friend.

Hugs back,

Jana

I took a muscle relaxant recently that caused me to wake up in a cold sweat feeling like I was going to pass out in the middle of the night. It was a new one supposedly much better than the flexerill I had requested. I forget the name. Now I stick with naprosyn. I do have pain flare ups out of the blue. Some of the pain meds they took off the market were really good.

I've been taking pain meds the past few weeks for a back problem. I have a POTS diagnosis. If I take any sleepy meds I'm way more likely to hit the floor ... especially during the middle of the night bathroom trips when I'm already half asleep. Be careful and RISE SLOWLY.

Brye

Yes, the pain meds definitely make me more dizzy and likely to pass out. I have to move very slowly, but when I take them, I also feel like my anxiety is much better. I guess it's the sense of calmness. So far they haven't affected my BP much, but I have put on about 5 pounds. I'm trying the weekend without them...

Jana