Salt Really Does Make A Difference

Hi Everyone,

Well as some of you probably already know I have been doing rather poor lately. When I was feeling really good my legs kept swelling up, and it was worrying me. So I thought I was just getting too much salt. So I quit trying to get salt in, and just forgot about the salt. In another post thankful said she eats eggdrop soup for the salt, and I thought wow chinese, I bet I could get my appetite going for that. So last night my husband bought me some, and I put plenty of soy sauce on it. At first I only ate a little, but I started to feel better right away, and went back for somemore, and was really hungry, and ate it all. I felt better last night, and even slept better with less pain. So this morning I wasn't feeling really good again, and decided the chinese was so good last night, so I went and got some more. After eating I am feeling much better. I would say it was just the plain fact that I ate, but I have been eating (though not enthusiastically) just not salty stuff. Then I remembered that I just decided not to eat so much salt!! :) I really didn't think it made a difference, but I guess it does. Just thought I would share that with everyone. I hope everyone is having a good day.....Oh and thank you thakful!!

Suzy

Good deal, I'm glad it's working out better for you.

Just watch out for the MSG---monosodium glutimate (spelling?). It's a flavor enhancer sometimes added to chinese food, gravy, flavored chips, soups, some frozen foods ect. It can aggrivate POTs symptoms, sometimes causing more tachycardia, bloating, or worse. I just had some bear creek soup, and it doesn't say actual MSG, but said flavor enhancer. This soup immediately affected me with big bloated cut, and some tachycardia----Thankfully I only had a small amount. I can tolerate a little in flavored chips---things like that. But there must be a lot of it in the soup. There's a lot in chinese food, unless your request that it not be added. I love chinese, so if I get it I request no MSG.

V-8 juice is good----very high sodium. Packaged foods always have a lot of sodium too. Pretzels have high sodium----especially rold gold brand pretzel twists---over 500 mg. Soup is good for high sodium levels also, but watch out for the MSG in that too. Unfortunately, when MSG is not added to soups, the sodium is lower too.

One thing I found that wasn't good was adding salt to gatorade. It tasted pretty bad, and almost mede me sick. However, it does help if you can stand it. :)

Maxine :0)

YAHOO!!! So glad to be able to help!!! Yes, I think the high salt concentration helps. And we tend to feel nauseated often but soup is usually something I can take in. Usually I eat it, start feeling better, and then move on to more substantial food. The one trick I have to do every morning is drink salted liquids prior to getting up. I add 1/2 a tsp salt to 20 oz of G2, or I drink a cup of chicken broth. There are lots of old posts on here about how to get salt intake up.

Hi ladies,

Thanks for the replies.

Maxine, thank you so much for that. I do think I have severe problems with msg., because when I was in Phoenix once we ate kentucky fried chicken, (which always makes me sick.)andI got a really bad hive outbreak. I get them, but when I can connect it with something is when it is head to toe, and severe. I ate Panda express which they say doesn't have any. But that is important to remember, because when looking for salty you often do find msg. Thanks for reminding me.

Jana, What is it about rold gold? they seem to have a better flavor. I think that is my favorite brand too.

Thanks again Janie, I like the idea of the chicken broth. I used to buy reduced sodium!!! :lol: It really did help me, and I just hadn't thought about the fact that I had cut my sodium back. You just never know what information you share with someone that will end up helping ;) . Like me I thought with the swelling I was doing something good for myself. I probably just needed to get off of my feet. So thank you for mentioning it, although I am not running a marathon, (or even working around the house) at least I feel a little better laying down. And my head is up!!!

Suzy