Sensation Of Falling Or Motion

jump

I've been having this sensation like I'm falling, or like I'm in motion, when I'm not. Sometimes it's so strong that I actually think I am fainting, and I kind of "black out" visually for a split-second, only to find that when I "come to" I'm still standing up. It's a very uncomfortable sensation. Sometimes it happens when I'm sitting, and the sensation is that my chair is somehow moving, like someone picked it up with me in it to move it across the floor. Again this is usually accompanied by a very short visual disturbance. I more frequently get the "falling" sensation when I'm standing or walking, which makes me think it must be POTS related.

It actually very disturbing and leaves me feeling disoriented. I wonder if this is like what people experience when they have vertigo? I have noticed that some of my other POTS symptoms have been worse this week, so I wondered if it was all related.

Can anyone relate and/or shed some light on what might be causing this?

Oh my goodness, Jump! I understand completely... you have described exactly what I feel on a daily basis! I experience this in waves with the same disorientation and momentary feeling of "blacking out" that you described. I feel it most strongly when I am standing, but it also occurs when I'm sitting. I have many ways to describe what it feels like, but it is as though my body is suddenly falling, gliding, tipping, or shifting, or that this is happening with the floor or chair under me. I often do what I call "bracing" against it where I tighten up my body to "brace" in opposition to this sensation. I have told this to numerous doctors, but no one evers knows what to say about it. I'm not sure if it is related to a momentary drop in cerebral perfusion. I also have severe myofascial problems in my neck and head, so I have considered that these proprioreceptive disturbances may be related to that. I have mentioned on the forum in the past that I get craniosacral therapy done, and the practioners have implied that these sensations may be attributed to imbalances in my CSF flow and the rhythm of my cranial bones. I am sorry that you are experiencing this, and I wish that I could be of more help. However, I can say that I completely understand and I hope these episodes pass quickly. How long have you been experiencing them? Have you measured your blood pressure when they are occuring? Feel free to PM me if I can offer you any other information or support.

Broken Shell :)

Jump,

Yes. I do completly understand this. It is one of the things that laid me up when I couldn't get out of bed. I litterally could not balance even sitting up. But this was when I was on meds, and everything was severe for me. I get it now, just not to that level. It feels like you are moving or the earth under you is moving. I will grab ahold of something to try and balance, but it does not help. I did tell a neurologist about this, and he did call it vertigo. It is an awful feeling because you just can't get away from it. I get it even when I am laying down. I have had many tests trying to figure out the cause, and they even did a physical therapy thing on me that has to do with the balance in your ears. It did nothing for me, so they said my ears were not to blame for this. Do you, or brokenshell find yourself holding walls when you walk? Or do you find that when you go to reach for something you miss it? I fall off of curbs, and even straight ground because of this. I also walk into things. Do you guys? I end up black and blue when it is bad, and have ended up with a bad sprained ankle too. I hope this improves for you. I wish I had some advice, but other then getting off my meds I have found no help for this. But I understand. Take care, and try and stay steady.

Suzy

I've had this for years. I always associate it with Meniere's. Before I was diagnosed with Meniere's I thought I was having seizures. I have times when I felt like someone came up behind me & shoved me hard. I felt like I was going to fall or black out but I realized I was still standing. Sometimes you will hit the floor. It is called drop attacks. I've fell into mirrors down steps etc. It can be dangerous.

It seems you're in good company. I also have Meniere's, and it's one of the worst feelings...Hope you don't suffer from them too much. Sometimes it seems like Dramamine or Meclizine will help me, or maybe it's wishful thinking. Something to try...

Best,

jana

I get this constantly and its related to POTS (presyncope and altered position-sense). My dad got it as well when he had heart failure. Uncomfortable aint it?

Oh yes, i get this as well...

ramakentesh, i really like your describtion:

"altered position sense", thats 100% how it feels like. Any idea why our bodies don't sense the positions right? How is this related to POTS?

carinara

If your symptoms are from Meniere's adding more salt to your diet will make it worse. The vertigo is caused from fluid in the inner ear & salt increases that. With POTS & Meniere's it's always been difficult for me to know how much salt to use. Meniere's is the sickest sick I've every experienced so I choose to try to keep my salt intake low.

I have the same feelings. Very Strange!!! I think it must be what it feels like to be weightless. I always say I wish someone would stop the world and put it back on it's axis.

Let us know if anyone figures out what this is and what we can all do about it.

Babette

Yes, I can totally identify with what many of you are describing! This can be one of the more frustrating symptoms at times, because it is hard if not impossible to explain, it happens for a split second, but multiple times a day. It can make you feel unsteady etc. and not want to do a whole lot due that you don't feel comfortable in the space you are in due to your positional/proprioceptive sense being totally off....

CRAZY! I have no idea what to do about it or how to avoid etc... A mystery I would like to be able to solve... :)

• 10 years later...

Jump, wow, you are the first person I encounter that describes exactly how this drop spinning sensation feels, and I can relate. I've been looking for a related conversation for years.  I have had Meniers for 15 years now, but even my otologist who treats my condition says this drop/motion sensation is not related to Meniers. Mines have been occurring for the last two years, sometimes in months intervals, sometimes 2 weeks, or one month, two, or 5 is the longest interval. So, they are not too frequent but they can come in dangerous situations like driving. I've had it standing, sitting, getting on bed, out of bed, and the fact that you have to close your eyes because the sensation of motion, but you're conscious, it's scary, even though it lasts a few seconds.  Now, I always feel that I fall to my right side. My son witnessed the very first one, where I was at a store just waiting on line to pay at the register. Even though I felt that my body fell to the right and felt like I pulled my arms up going down to the right side, my son told me that I just dropped straight to the floor like a poppet when strings are dropped.  Very strange.  When driving, I fortunately just had put my foot on the break at that exact moment because the car in front of mine reduced and stopped.  Again I had the sensation of fainting to my right side, and this time my son said that he saw me reaching to him while in the passenger side. I've had a lot of other similar situations, and this morning, I was sitting in my recliner, just writing a text on my phone when it happened, and I panic and called my daughter only to have nothing when she came to see what was wrong.  They go as fast as they come, and I still do not have any diagnosis. Even my cardiologist does not related to my BAVD (Bicuspid Aortic Valve Desease).  He suggested to use pressure socks...which I did for a while, but stopped since I had it while using them too.  I just read an article about "falling/dropping sensation" which is an anxiety symptom, and it makes a lot of sense.  This is very stressful symptom, of something that it's hard to explain and no doctor can diagnose a real cause. :(  It's so Frustrating.

• 1 year later...

I completely agree with you jump. Ive been having the same vertigo, falling, feeling for the past year. It started when my schedule had to change and I was only getting 4 hours of sleep a night. 9 months later my schedule changed again and Im able to get more sleep but the vertigo disconnected feeling has persisted.Ive always had perfect vision to but since the falling sensation started I struggle to read and focus on what I'm looking at, no matter what the distance it is from me. My eye doctor says there's nothing wrong with my eyes though. I've read studies that a continuous exposure to lack of sleep can somehow permanently alter the mind. Of course these studies we're in mice so I'm not sure if the findings would still apply to people or not...