Dentist!!!

Alexander

Dear All,

I was wondering if any of you have any problems with getting enough anaesthesia in the dentist. I went for a filling/root canal the other day and could not proceed because no matter the injections I was just not responding to the local anaesthetic. I have heard that people with EDS III has this problem.

Any suggestions???The sure thing is that I am intrerrible pain and cannot postpone the inevitable (doing the root canal) as my teeth is ina mess. I am so frustrated and dont know what to do.. :(

Best

Alex

you might want to consider sedation dentistry...you'd be out during the procedures so that the failure of the local anesthetic wouldn't be an issue.

I have EDS III--I seem to do okay with local, although with my last surgery, it did wear off part way through the procedure. I also had a root canal done where they couldn't get me numb--in that case, the issue was actually not an anesthetic problem but due to swelling/edema in the area, which impedes infiltration of the drugs into the tissues. In that case, they gave me major antibiotics, created a small hole in my tooth for the infection to drain and left it alone until the swelling went down a few days later.

FYI, I've had TONS of dental work & periodontal work. Right now, I'm in the final phase of a 1.5 year process to replace a tooth that broke below the gum line due to resorbtion (my body just decided to take back the tooth). They needed to do lots of work to stop the resorbtion from invading my jaw bone--I've now had 2 grafts of bone matter in my jaw to build up the area enough to allow for the replacement tooth to be put in this February.

Nina

Oh my goodness Nina---you are handling this stuff with your dental work so well. Not me-----I won't even let them use anything to numb me. I make them fill my teeth without. I'm more afraid of the reaction to the local anesthetic then the pain. In Dec of 2000 I had to have a tooth pulled and I ended up in the ER with Tachycardia and bad tremors. This is when my POTS was at it's worst.

I know I will need two more crowns to support a bridge over the missing space of a tooth I lost to an abcess when I was 12. I did have local anesthetic for the bridge and crowns I had to replace the tooth I lost in 2000. It's hard to tell if I had a reaction to the anesthetic, because my POTS symptoms were still real bad.

I don't know if this has anything to do with my brain stem compression or not---or the cervical stenosis for that matter. Both the teeth I lost were back molars. Funny----------:unsure:---------Mohler is my maiden name------not spelled the same way though ;) .

Anyway, there was a huge amount of pressure when they pulled my tooth in 2000. The tooth was one that I had a root canal on years ago----1987. It was crowned and broke off at the gum line. I had the worst feeling when it broke --------------like I knew it was the beginning of bad things to come. So now I fear the dentist. I never did before---not until after Dec. 2000.

A lot of people on this web site do quite well at the dentist---however.

I think some of my fear is psychological in nature. I understand that some people with hyper adrengic POTS avoid the novicaine type anesthetic for numbing. But there are others available for numbing--but may not work as well.

Julie :o

Julie :0)

I have the same problems with novacaine at the dentist too. I had a small cavity a few months ago and I felt the drilling and flinched. Luckily at that point the dentist was finished. He said I shouldn't have felt a thing and would make a note to give me a double dose if there was a next time. I also have been dx-ed with EDS III and I wonder if a double dose would help. Needless to say it causes alot of anxiety....

Nina: How do I find out about sedation dentistry? I would *love* to be out cold! Getting my wisdom teeth out was so much easier than cavities because in a blink it was over :D Does insurance cover something like that?

Someone also suggested to me that I ask the dentist if they could brush that stuff on your teeth that prevents cavities. I can't remember the what's it's called, but they typically do it for kids. I plan to ask about it next time I go for a cleaning.

Just curious, anyone else have sensitive teeth? I grind my teeth and have tons of TMJ pain too.

The stuff they paint on is a "sealant".

I would love to say that I know about sedation dentistry because I'm a genius... :D BUT, there are two commercials for two different local sedation dentistry practices that I hear nearly every day on the radio either on my way in to home from work.

Nina

I don't numb well either, and I have EDS as well. My dentist gives me a ton of shots, but I still usually have some feeling. BTW, I have TMJ as well, but it doesn't bother me too much. Hope you find something that works well for you, Alex.

Michelle

ah yes - sealant ;) Thanks Nina :)

Does anyone know anything about this treatment? It sounds great!

Air Abrasion ? An Alternative to the Drill

You?ll enjoy the comfort and quiet of being treated with air abrasion, an alternative for many procedures formerly requiring a drill. A powerful air stream of tiny aluminum oxide particles bounces off your tooth, removing decay. No discomfort, no injections, just results.

Pamyla, It'll be a while, but I can ask my step dad next time I see him--he's a dentist. I used to work for him in the summers. I have sealents, btw, on my molars.

Nina