Should I Get A Cardiac Stress Test?

mjan

OK 2 new docs have suggested a cardiac work up.. stress test and carotid ultra sound. Had the full gamet 3-4 years ago and they could SEE how bad I got on the treadmill..turning RED..head ready to bURST...TACHY.. weak.. WANNA DIE !!!! Get the picture? I PASSED it too.. go figure.. told I was just out of shape.

So.. why would I go through that again? It was awful. I am having carotid pressure on left side nearly daily. AND the meds I was put on for acid reflux (I have no heartburn or symptoms I can tell) may not be helping. The last doc for my endoscopy eval for swallowing difficulties and the Auto dys neurologist are suggesting a acardiac work up again. My PCP thinks I seem stable enough that she is not as concerned and thinks it could the be auto problems. HER mother has POTS..aren't I lucky!!!

I have no other cardiac symptoms..had the full blown work up including a catherization eval and I was CLEAN.. my carotids were CLEAN too.

I still get the same carotid ..neck and chest pressure. And after the "little" walk where my neck felt like it was going to burst and the tachy symptoms were prounonced.. I went back to rest.

What should I do.. who should I see??

Thanks Jan

So sorry to see that you are still having such a rough time. I don't know what to tell you except maybe just a stress test, not a cath or anything might give you some answers to the problems you have been having. But I am the worse for taking advice about going to a doctor. (I used to camp at their front door!) I know how a stress test can make you feel. The last one I had I was vomitting afterwords, and then fainted about 6 hours later. It just really did me in. But it did pass, then I had the answers, which were everything here is ok. If you are having pressure in your carotid area the ultra sound would be a good idea I think.

Buttttt....that being said I also understand how you don't want to keep going through the same testing and stress over and over. If it makes you feel any better I have been having the worse time with chest pain, shortness of breath, and neck and chest pressure. I hope I've helped you some. PM me if you want, I'm just sitting here. Take care....

hugs

Suzy

Jan,

I'm sorry that you're having these nasty symptoms and are looking at having to undergo some pretty intense tests again. I have to say I'm in favor of you getting these tests done, especially if you haven't had a work-up for the past 3-4 years. A lot can change during that time. When did you have your catherization eval? Do you mean an angioplasty? I would just get the tests out of the way, and then you know if everything is ok or not. I have a history of cardiomyopathy and bradycardia and have a pacemaker, so I would tend to err on the side of too much instead of too little testing.

I hope this helps, and please let us know what you decide. Be well.

Jana

One benefit I did find from having an exercise stress test was that it clearly demonstrated why I was having such a hard time...I lost a measurable blood pressure within the first 30 seconds of being on the treadmill. I never regained it during the four and a half minutes I lasted on the thing. Now, this was no surprise to me, but it points out to any health care provider that might question exactly why I am so debilitated. And yes, there are those that are shocked that a person can still be conscious without a measurable blood pressure...including the nurses and technicians who conducted my stress test.

Yeah, I know we've all had tilt table tests that most of us have failed, but the tilt table test is not a well known and certainly not as well understood as the plain old stress test. I've found it much easier to reference my performance (or lack thereof) on the stress test than on the tilt table test. Often, when I bring up the TTT, I'm met with confused if not outright blank stares.

Jan,

I'm sorry that you're having these nasty symptoms and are looking at having to undergo some pretty intense tests again. I have to say I'm in favor of you getting these tests done, especially if you haven't had a work-up for the past 3-4 years. A lot can change during that time. When did you have your catherization eval? Do you mean an angioplasty? I would just get the tests out of the way, and then you know if everything is ok or not. I have a history of cardiomyopathy and bradycardia and have a pacemaker, so I would tend to err on the side of too much instead of too little testing.

I hope this helps, and please let us know what you decide. Be well.

Jana

Hi Jana!! I I were having any cardiac problems I would def go get these tests done. My BP has been good..no Shortness of breath..actually feeling good for a change. Even my PCP agrees. Its more like pressure coming from autonomic stuff in my chest up to my neck. If I were dizzy..had SOB or ANY symptoms I would go. I just hate to get tortured for nothing. AND I have always past stress tests. Yes I had an angioplasty and was CLEAN..no stints..nada.

Just wondering if it could be autonomic issues.

Jan

Hi Jan, Does the doctor who wants to run the stress test know how to help you with your dysautonomia also? Is he trying to rule out more serious heart conditions in order to be free to focus on treating the dysautonomia symptoms? I agree that it probably is dysautonomia related, but I think it is good to get it checked out anyway... I just wouldn't have hope for any real answers but just for reassurance that you're not actually having a coronary, and I'd be sure to have a day off following so you can recoup from the testing.

Sorry you are looking at more testing... Janie

One benefit I did find from having an exercise stress test was that it clearly demonstrated why I was having such a hard time...I lost a measurable blood pressure within the first 30 seconds of being on the treadmill. I never regained it during the four and a half minutes I lasted on the thing. Now, this was no surprise to me, but it points out to any health care provider that might question exactly why I am so debilitated. And yes, there are those that are shocked that a person can still be conscious without a measurable blood pressure...including the nurses and technicians who conducted my stress test.

Yeah, I know we've all had tilt table tests that most of us have failed, but the tilt table test is not a well known and certainly not as well understood as the plain old stress test. I've found it much easier to reference my performance (or lack thereof) on the stress test than on the tilt table test. Often, when I bring up the TTT, I'm met with confused if not outright blank stares.

Thanks for your response. I dont seem to have any cardiac symptoms is why I am questioning having to go through a horribe experience again.

Do these technicians know that it CAUSES POTS symptoms to have this done?

The neurologist who DX POTS was recommending it if I had not had one..but when I told my PCP my very thorough work up in last few years with NO cardiac symptoms she agreed it was not necessary to repeat as much as to find out what treatment I need for my POTS symptoms. She is happy that taking Clonidine PRN has been very helpful and does not raise my BP.

Jan