Americans With Disabilities Act

icthus

My neuro recommended a (free) subscription to the periodical "Neurology Now." The May/June 2009 issue had an article about an amendment to the ADA law, effective January 1, 2009.

"The Act defines 'disability' much more broadly than the courts had previously done...providing what it calls a 'non-exhaustive' list of major life activities, including caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, and thinking...any impairment that interferes with the 'major bodily systems or organs' (neurological, reproductive, digestive, respiratory, circulatory) is a covered disability. This means that people with these conditions - such as people with epilepsy or MS - no longer have to 'prove' they are sufficiently disabled before they can file a claim under the ADAAA...really helpful for people with neurological conditions...with disorders that are under episodic control, like epilepsy...There are many disabling conditions in neurology where that's the case, and the ADAAA [now] recognizes that." (Neurology Now, May/June 2009, page 35). The article also goes on to give advice on how to proceed if you are having neuro-related issues with your employer - such as requests for accommodations.

Just wanted to pass along a little good news. And incidentally, you can sign up for the periodical on the internet if you're interested. It's free and intended to be a help for those of us who either have issues or are caretakers. neurologynow.com

Thanks for the updated info. It certainly will come in handy to many of us on the site, as some are currently fighting for Federal Disability (like me) or thinking about it. Thank God for long-term disability from work!

Cheers,

Jana

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the updated info. It certainly will come in handy to many of us on the site, as some are currently fighting for Federal Disability (like me) or thinking about it. Thank God for long-term disability from work!

Cheers,

Jana

Hi, Jana. I am currently fighting to get Short Term Disability from my employer and was wondering if it was hard for you to get on Long Term Disability? Did you need a lawyer or were you able to get without any problems? I would appreciate any help you can give. Thank you.

Kari

Kari,

Do you mean LTD with the state or with the Federal government? I've done both...Please send me a PM and we'll chat.

Cheers,

Jana

im trying to get this too, my first applciation was denied because i was too ill to finish the paperwork, im reappealing it right now but the **** woman wont call me back lol.