Sweat When Eat?

Radha

i have a number of problems when i eat and i used to sweat very very badly once in a while, but now its happening every day, with

the same food i have eaten for years, do any of you have any idea why i would be sweating and why its getting worse? i always get

very very hyper and shaky, i thought about sugar problems, but i am not eating anything different or more food either, any ideas

would be appreciated, thanks

Radha

Diet is something I have to change up often with my illness. Things that work for several months, years, seem to problematic down the line.

When I begin the serious post-pranial symptoms (waves of heat, tachy, shaking) ... I know its time for me to make big dietary change

again.

I remember one phase when I had a meditation practice with my husband and kids that was after dinner. I was teaching my kids how to quiet the mind and sit with the body very still. And there I was sitting up full lotus for 20 minutes ... with my heart rate 120 and beads of sweat all over my upper body.

I still occasionally flare after eating ... not related to a particular food, or volume ... just seems to coincide with the POTS being on a binge.

I also never stay upright anymore after eating. I prop a pillow and rest with my feet up. Even with little meals.

At one time, I took vegetable glycerin (1 TBL in 1 glass of water) after every meal -- because I think it increases the speed in which food leaves the stomach. Which seemed to help a bit.

Now I tend to take 2 ounces of aloe vera papaya juice after every meal. It seems to help dampen the post pranial agitation.

Trial and error...

Good luck finding something that works for you.

can you tell me where you got the aloe vera juice? how did it help the post prandial symptoms, did you feel calmer? i am on a low carb, sugar free, fat free, caffeine free diet, there is nothing more i can change!! no wheat either!

thanks for your help

Radha

what you talk about sounds like "gustatory sweating". It is, surprise, surprise, and autonomic dysfunction.

Here's an article, although it talks about it in terms of diabetics...however, remember that we have autonomic difficulties that are very, very similar to those experienced by people who have diabetes. We just don't have the diabetes to blame for our dysautonomia!

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/431617

can you tell me where you got the aloe vera juice? how did it help the post prandial symptoms, did you feel calmer? i am on a low carb, sugar free, fat free, caffeine free diet, there is nothing more i can change!! no wheat either!

thanks for your help

Radha

I get my aloe vera papaya (the papaya is important) juice at vitacost.com -- because I buy lots of product there -- heavy cans etc. -- and its all $5 shipping. But it is also available at health food stores.

Sometimes when I change around my diet, I add stuff BACK IN. At the moment, I am drinking WHOLE MILK, which I hadn't done in years.

Another change last summer was to move away from foods with high free glutamates (a form of MSG) the website ...

msgmyth.com is loaded with information on this.

bjt and earth mother, thanks so so much for your help, that article sounds exactly like me!! i wish it mentioned a medicine to help

it! right now i am trying metformin and i notice less sweating so i wonder what that means, i never have high blood sugar,

sometimes low, so i know i dont have diabetes, but still the diabetes medicine is helping, so i wish i knew what that meant! thanks

again for telling me about the aloe juice, i will try that too,

Radha

bjt and earth mother, thanks so so much for your help, that article sounds exactly like me!! i wish it mentioned a medicine to help

it! right now i am trying metformin and i notice less sweating so i wonder what that means, i never have high blood sugar,

sometimes low, so i know i dont have diabetes, but still the diabetes medicine is helping, so i wish i knew what that meant! thanks

again for telling me about the aloe juice, i will try that too,

Radha

I am insulin resistant/borderline diabetic. I have been for more than 20 years. I do follow a pretty strict diet. I rarely eat sugar, try to go low on the carbs, and yup...watch calories and keep my weight down as best I can. What kind of medicine for diabetes do you take? See, diabetes is my big fear, as I'm very afraid of the drugs to control it. My blood sugars are very erratic and can drop for any and all every conceivable reason. They most certainly drop if my blood pressure decides to fall a little more than usual when I've been upright.

All that said, our autonomic neuropathy IS pretty much the same as is that experienced by diabetics. Ours is just "idiopathic"...we don't know what caused it! A couple of years ago, though, I read a couple of really interesting articles out of Europe. They had determined that many people actually had the onset of neuropathy by the time they received a diabetes diagnosis, suggesting that the autonomic problems either happen very early in the course of the disease or might even precede it. This goes against all the commonly held wisdom about the situation.

How to control the icky sweaty feeling after eating? You wanna know what's crazy? I don't sweat, but I can eat and FEEL as if my neck and face is sweating. No sweat there, but the sensation is just the same. Some foods do make it worse....spicy foods definitely do, as do high carb foods. And, like many other of our symptoms, it comes and goes. Sometimes its a lot more severe than others, and it seems to worsen as the weather gets warmer.

Hi Radha,

Just a thought... have you tried eating smaller meals so that there is less shunting of blood and resources to your GI tract when you eat? I have had some success with this. I used to eat large meals and would get very dizzy, shaky, and flushed from eating. Take care and hang in there!

~ Broken_Shell :P

i eat so little and still all the symptoms come and so severe, so i only put myself thru the hours of suffering twice a day and each

time its a nightmare so i am always so hungry and eat so so little! metformin seems to be helping sweating just alittle, and i dont

get sweat if i eat absolutely no carbs, but so little carbs trigger it, but even with protein still get the adrenaline rush, headaches,

pooling so bad.......

Radha

You may be caught in a vicious circle. I know how hard it is to eat during these cycles but in my case the infrequent eating prolonged my suffering. It took a good three months of diligent eating every two hours and then another three months after that eating about five mini meals a day before my system got back into a more normal POTS balance.

The metformin is a clue that you need to balance this with small frequent meals. It can't do it alone. Sometimes, all I could handle was one mouthful of mellon and one walnut. But that was enough to begin to balance my body chemistry. One cracker with almond butter. Then in another two hours, one cube of whole milk mozerrela cheese and a quarter of a rice cake. Then another two hours ... another nibble. Making sure there was a whole fat and some protien with each morsel. The fat is what helped stabalize my chemistry the most.

Hang in there.

You may be caught in a vicious circle. I know how hard it is to eat during these cycles but in my case the infrequent eating prolonged my suffering. It took a good three months of diligent eating every two hours and then another three months after that eating about five mini meals a day before my system got back into a more normal POTS balance.

The metformin is a clue that you need to balance this with small frequent meals. It can't do it alone. Sometimes, all I could handle was one mouthful of mellon and one walnut. But that was enough to begin to balance my body chemistry. One cracker with almond butter. Then in another two hours, one cube of whole milk mozerrela cheese and a quarter of a rice cake. Then another two hours ... another nibble. Making sure there was a whole fat and some protien with each morsel. The fat is what helped stabalize my chemistry the most.

Hang in there.

Yes...I've found that "balance" to be incredibly important. Sometimes, such as after a holiday, when I know that my diet has really gotten out of whack and I'm suffering for it, I resort to frozen meals such as the "Healthy Choice" brands for a few days. These meals are balanced out quite well as well as being proportioned appropriately. If you live near a large supermarket chain, some brand or other of these frozen meals are always on sale.