Has Anyone Been Diagnosed With Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (sibo)

ana_22

i did the breathe tests a few weeks ago and saw my DR today and she has confirmed this, i start the antibiotics soon.

has anyone been diagnosed with this? what is your experience with the treatment? did it work or did SIBO come back? ive heard it can be hard to eradicate!

Hey Ana,

Yes, my son frequently gets these. He prefers Xifaxcin over Flagyll- almost no side effects. He feels better almost immediately. He takes a daily probiotic (culturelle) to prevent them. When he slacks on the probiotic- voila- he gets another one. He has a dysmotility of his small bowel.

Best of luck. Let us know how you are feeling.

Julie

thanks julie! im going to start the antibiotics soon, just a quick question.....how does your son know he has SIBO...like what are his symptoms when it reoccurs?

im having trouble figuring out what may be SIBO and what is crap autonomic system! i dont want to get too excited and think this may eradicate some of my GI problems!

thanks julie! im going to start the antibiotics soon, just a quick question.....how does your son know he has SIBO...like what are his symptoms when it reoccurs?

im having trouble figuring out what may be SIBO and what is crap autonomic system! i dont want to get too excited and think this may eradicate some of my GI problems!

Really just an overall worsening of his GI symptoms (nuasea, acid, inability to eat)....with some crampy diarrhea. Hope you're feeling LOTS better soon! Xifaxcin is good stuff :-)

I have it. The latest script I got was for 2 pills 4X/day of xifaxin. That's a lot of antibiotic.

The things I noticed after treatment:

No crampy diarrhea attacks which I used to get after eating too much sugary foods ( I guess because the sugar helped the bacteria reproduce in my gut).

Less bloating after meals.

Whether it comes back or not??? I've assumed (maybe incorrectly), that I will always be subject to SIBO, and after going through 3 or 4 courses of antibiotic with three months in between, I decided I did not want to be taking that much antibiotic, that frequently. I was afraid I'd become resistant or something. Maybe I'm wrong.

I would notice the bloating coming back before the three months were up anyway. And I can't stay on antibiotic all the time.

What I feel more comfortable doing is having the script in the house for use, but I take one probiotic in the AM and one probiotic in the PM daily. I've been doing moderately well with that but I have the script in the house if I notice any worsening.

This is a side question:

Anyone notice that you put weight on after treating the SIBO? Supposedly, if you have SIBO, you're not getting the nutrients from the food like you should, and if severe enough, you would be malnourished.

• 1 year later...