Can Constantly Feel Pulse In Body

Hi All,

This is a symptom I've had on and off for the past 3 years now, but it seems to have gotten worse within the past 2 weeks. Lately I can feel my pulse very strongly in my body, as if it is moving like a wave inside of me. I've been feeling it a lot in my neck and head and my head seems to rock with the beat as if my pulse is pushing my head to move (I feel it right now just sitting here.) Or this past weekend for example, when I was laying outside on a reclining chair I felt it non stop. I put my hand over my eyes to shield myself from the sun and my arm was rocking back and forth with it!! Does anyone else ever feel this and if so, what the heck is it?! Like I said, as I sit here at work I feel it pretty strongly and I'm also getting a "cold" sensation on both sides of my neck and under my chin, not sure if they're related. PLEASE respond if you've ever felt this way! I hate being scared of my own body all the time ;)

While this isnt 'common' - its not 'uncommon' either, even in healthy people.

I get it all the time - i can count my pulse without ever 'feeling' for it, I can just 'hear' it and feel it, my Sister in law talks about, and my nefew (who is totally healthy) gets it.

It can be related to low blood pressure, but it can also just be a variant of normal.

Yeah, sometimes the whole room bounces with each heartbeat. My mom (who has carcinoid syndrome) has similar problems, even when she's not flushing. We can both feel our pulse in our bodies or head most of the time. I think it might have something to do with too much adrenaline but who knows...

• 2 years later...

This happens to me as well and I have definitely noticed it is worse when I'm in a flare. I can feel my whole body move with my pulse like others have said. I can actually see my pulse in my stomach as well as my neck at all times. For me it is absolutely related to my pots because I never experienced it before I had this illness. I believe it is from NE being released during times of low blood pressure. I think it is from high stroke volume in the heart. Anyway it is definitely annoying! I try to ignore it as best as I can.

Michelle,

it looks like you (we) are not alone in this. I used to get this "pulsating feeling" particularly when I was completely relaxed, or when going to bed at night. I was told by many doctors that it's nothing to be concerned about, even though it is an annoying sensation.

I wouldn't know what kind of advice to give you to make it go away, but i can tell you what I tried with some degree of success - meditation music, or self-hypnosis sessions from youtube. As soon as my mind was able to focus on something else it felt like those weird sensations subsided. It didn't happen over night, but it worked.

Also, I do 't believe this to be a POTS related symptom, as i spoke to quite a few people that said they experience this every now and then.

As far as the coldness you mentioned ... Sorry, but I can't relate to that.

Hang in there, I'm sure you'll find a way to make those sensations go away or at least bother you less.

Alex