Sonogram tomorrow

Hi everyone. Thanks for helping me mentally tough it out over the past 2 weeks. You all are my cheering section!!!

Tomorrow I have my pelvic ultrasound at 2pm... part of me hopes that they find something just so that I can know it's NOT in my head (I know you guys and gals "get" that). Right after my ultrasound I get to have my slamogram...OH, I mean mamogram. What a fun filled afternoon ;) NOT.

I'll let you know if I find anything out when I get home tomorrow night--I have to go right from my tests to teach a class for my apprenticeship. That reminds me, I have a tidbit of good news that my apprenticeship was formally approved today. One step closer to my Ph.D.! Also, my comprehensive exams will be on 11/20. Expect me to be a WACKO from the time they give us the articles to study to the time I find out my scores. :blink::ph34r::blink:

Ah... but that's later in the month... I just need to get thorugh today. And then tomorrow. And then the next one :)

Nina

hey nina!

good luck with it all. and let us know as soon as you know information! we will all have ants in our pants too! :ph34r:

can't wait until i am old enough to have a mammogram. i'm just so looking forward to it. they will say, where are you boobs? there's not enough to squish between here! sorry, a little humor.

i am off to eat my pre-ultrasound fat-free meal before my test tomorrow...yum, yum...mine is at 9 am...how long do you have to go without food if yours isn't until 2? eek! the no water is even harder! or maybe you dont have to do that stuff for what they are looking at! i don't know...

well, also a congrats on getting closer to your PhD! huge accomplishment. both of my parents are PhDs and i am sure my dad would like it if i went on for more education!

oops. gotta go eat before my time runs out for "food allowed"! eek!

can you tell i like food?

emily

Guest GayleP

Nina,

Good luck tomorrow with both tests. I hope your ultra sound is not the kind where you can't pee for an hour before. Anyhow I hope it goes OK and that you get some answers And the mammogram. Those are so unpleasant but necessary. Keep us posted.

Emily,

Good luck with your ultrasound also. I've never heard of one where you can't eat before hand. Yuk.

GayleP

Hey there Emily, no food restrictions for my test... and I have to drink 32 oz of water by an hour before the test--then NO PEEING until the test is over. I've had this done 2x before, and that really is the toughest part. The internal ultrasound probe is kind of embarassing and uncomforatble, but you're allowed to run to the bathroom before they do that part of the test.

Well, I suppose the only one's who could "one up" you in the mamogram department are the men who have to go. Something like 10% of breast cancer patients are men--Teri always tells me about doing that test on men while in the Navy --and how one guy laughed and laughed when all they could do was get flakes of dry skin no matter how close he moved in to the two metal plates. :ph34r:

Nina :blink:

Guest GayleP

Emily,

Come to think of it when I had my abdominal ultrasound which covered the gall bladder I had to do it on an empty stomach. I had it first thing in the morning and they said not to eat after midnight.

Nina,

When I recently had a bladder ultrasound I only drank 24 ounces of water. They told me to drink 32 but by 24 I thought I was going to burst. I didn't think I'd make it through the test without peeing but I did. ThankfullyThe 24 ounces was fine.

I don't know about you guys but I have had way more ultra sounds, Cat scans and MRI's than anyone in my family or any of my friends.

I bet most of us had. Why is that?

GayleP

Dear Nina,

Good luck and I hope you are ok.

Out of all of this, I have one question. Have you ever had surgery in that area? I have huge areas of scaring and once in a while something "tears" and it is very painful for about 10 to 12 days.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Blackwolf

Nina & Emily,

Good luck to both of you tomorrow! On the plus side, ultrasounds and mammograms are non-invasive, and that is always a good thing for us POTsies :ph34r:

I remember when I was pregnant and had my ultrasounds, I was not allowed to pee beforehand and it was so tough!! I had regular ultrasounds because of the high risk & medications. Let us know how it goes!!

Good luck Nina.

That full bladder pre-req is really hard .... the amount of fluid is tough in one shot, then holding it forever in the waiting room or on the table .... BUT then when they start pressing on your abdomen!!

We're all crossing our fingers (or maybe we should cross our legs) and keeping a good thought for you.

EM

I don't know if I'd described myself as "strong". I've said this before--since I've had symptoms my entire life, I don't know any other way. I plug along unless the pain is so bad that I can't get out of the house. I think a better word would be "bullheaded" :P

The test was tough--they were running 20 minutes behind schedule, so my bladder was very full and painful during the exam. They offered me the chance to release a cupful and come back to the room, but I told them I'm not so good at that kind of control where I can completely stop the flow when I'm that distended. The internal probe hurt. Tried to be chatty with the tech to see if she'd reveal any info, but NADA. I'll have to wait to hear from my doctor.

The mamogram was the easy part--even though I'm bloated and it was briefly painful, it's SO worth it.

Thanks for your concern and I'll let you know what's up as soon as I find out :D

Nina

Hi Nina!

Well, at least it's over, eh?

I had one of those trans-vaginal ultrasounds before. It wasn't plesant, but it didn't hurt. It's kind of funny now when I think back to it....there I was laying on the table, my feet up in stir-ups as the tech was getting the equipment ready. She turns toward me with that probe in her hand and my eyes must have gotten really big...I mean, that thing was about a foot long :o ! She must have seen the expression on my face because she quickly said, "Oh no-no, we just put a little bit in...just a really little bit." Yikes, I really was scared for a minute there... :)

Let us know when you here the results. We're all rooting for you!

Michelle

Oh Michelle, that is SO funny because I got the same look on MY face the first time I had one done and the technician also laughed!! I had to reschedule the test the first time because when I had to drink the 32 ounces of water in such a short time my GI system "awoke" and I was running for the ladies room. The second time I only drank 24 ounces.

Glad your test is over Nina and hope you and your doctor will learn something that can help.

Emily, hope you did OK also. Going without fluids would be really hard I would think.

oh nina!

i could not handle that trans-vaginal thing. eeek. nor not being able to pee. my pelvic exam is enough for me once a year. but you gotta do what you gotta do. now the waiting! please let us know...as you can see there are a lot of us in your corner here!

geneva...the going without fluids thing turned out to be much harder than i anticipated. i guess the combo of no food and no fluids and too little sleep did me in b/c i completely crashed and was in bed all day afterwards. pretty pathetic seeing as nina is trucking along to class afterwards and i am lying around! ugh. i am a big wimp b/c i found the test uncomfortable and there was no probe IN me! just on my belly. but afterwards i was sick to my tummy and very nauseas. and it hurt. and ultrasounds are the easiest of tests! oh well, i am getting pathetic in my old age.

nina...do we want to hope they find something or not? that is the hard part, like you said! nothing leaves no answers but also is "good" news! such a tough one.

okay, later alligators. and thanks for the good wishes everyone in addition to good wishes for nina! i appreciate it.

emily

Whew, aren't you two glad it's over?

I had the vaginal one too, at my first pregnancy ultrasound...here I was expecting to lift up my shirt and have it placed on my tummy, and boy were David and I shocked when the doctor snapped a condom on the end of that foot-long thing...it's hilarious looking back on it now.

Anyhow let us know when you get your results!!

Okay folks, I'm here cracking up :) Yep, it was a foot long with a condom on it... and I must have gotten that same funny look on my face at which point the tech said "it only goes in a little, I promise". Must be a pretty common thing for the patient to make that surprised look :o

I'm having cramps now. As for what I'm wishing for... something easily treatable, whatever that could be. I hope the same for you, Emily.

Nina

this has certainly turned into a very entertaining subject!!

Emily you are NOT a wimp. You shouldn't compare yourself to Nina either and her ability to keep on moving.....remember she is part super hero...hence the name mighty mouse!!

I hope you both get answers and there is something "easy" that can be done to improve how you are feeling but if the results are "normal" just remember thats not so bad either, just frustrating.