Please Helppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!

sheba

I started back working full time, it's a desk job by the way. I feel so nervous at work sometimes and wonder if people can see my pulse beating in my neck. I have also developed an obsession w/feeling my pulse in my neck which have grown on me over the past year and a half. I can't believe Iactually survived Disney World 2 week ends ago thak you lord. My newest worry is this. Ihave been feeling my heart ship a beat all this week. Iwas wondering if bloating or gas can be causing this but it's scaring the _ _ _ _ out of me. It's like a pause and then my heart starts beating again. Is anyone else going thru this is this a symptom too. It's no apart of the tachycardia. Can someone help because Im a wreck right now....

I started back working full time, it's a desk job by the way. I feel so nervous at work sometimes and wonder if people can see my pulse beating in my neck. I have also developed an obsession w/feeling my pulse in my neck which have grown on me over the past year and a half. I can't believe Iactually survived Disney World 2 week ends ago thak you lord. My newest worry is this. Ihave been feeling my heart ship a beat all this week. Iwas wondering if bloating or gas can be causing this but it's scaring the _ _ _ _ out of me. It's like a pause and then my heart starts beating again. Is anyone else going thru this is this a symptom too. It's no apart of the tachycardia. Can someone help because Im a wreck right now....

Well, for what it's worth, I can tell you that for years, I've felt such "pauses" and other irregular feelings. They usually happen at least a few times a day. I'm on beta blockers and other meds, and other than the possibility of a little regurgitation around heart valves, I don't think I have any other significant cardiac abnormalities. Without the meds, my heart rate was most certainly tachycardic....resting heart rate could be in the 120-130 range with standing being 160 bpm and beyond. Medication slows it down, but it doesn't stop the the skip-and-pause feelings I continue to have. As far as I can tell, these incidents are not harmful. I've been having them for over a decade, and there are not really any ill effects. I just view them as inconveniences. Being that I haven't yet died from such an episode, I have a difficult time taking them too seriously.

I thank you bjt22, but I can't seem to not get on with my life without checking my pulse every 5 minutes, Today someone at work asked me, are you o.k. Ifelt so embarrased. I feel shame and realy embarrassed that Im this way. I can't seem to get thru the day without crying or having a break down. I wish I was o.k. and normal. I fell my pulse in public and everywhere I go. I really don't want to work, I know this may sound selfish because I do sit at my desk, but I can't even handle that. I have battles with negative thoughts all day at work. Im really trying to rela my mind and assure myself that's nothing wrong but I can't help it. I think it's making me sick worse.

Hi hopefulcase2,

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. I know how you feel. It is so hard not to worry yourself silly when you feel so bad. Every missed heartbead brings the question to mind what is wrong with me. It seems so hard to believe that you can feel this bad, and survive sometimes I think. I do get the missed beats, and then I will get a real quick thing with my heart just taking off, then it goes back to normal. Don't feel silly. I did some of the craziest things when I was first sick. Just trying to reassure myself I was ok. I even got really good at putting my hands on my neck and just look like I was sitting like that so no one would notice. Have you had your heart checked out real good? I have a couple leaky valves. I wish I had some good advice on how to relax through it. I had some people try and teach me how to "breath" through it, and that only made me to concious of my breathing :lol: I hope things get easier for you real soon.

Suzy

I thank you bjt22, but I can't seem to not get on with my life without checking my pulse every 5 minutes, Today someone at work asked me, are you o.k. Ifelt so embarrased. I feel shame and realy embarrassed that Im this way. I can't seem to get thru the day without crying or having a break down. I wish I was o.k. and normal. I fell my pulse in public and everywhere I go. I really don't want to work, I know this may sound selfish because I do sit at my desk, but I can't even handle that. I have battles with negative thoughts all day at work. Im really trying to rela my mind and assure myself that's nothing wrong but I can't help it. I think it's making me sick worse.

Could it be that you haven't really accepted and/or explored you POTS diagnosis? I willingly admit that there have been times, throughout the years, when I've latched onto the possibility of an irregular heartbeat or other factor being the cause of my illness. Why? Various reasons, I suppose. Some of these other problems could actually be FIXED. Who wouldn't prefer that to a prognosis of just-get-by-the-best-you-can? Some of these other problems are also better understood by the medical community as well as the lay community we must live in. It would make my life so much easier if I could tell people I had a condition that at least was half-way understood by the general public.

If you are truly concerned about these episodes, talk to your doctor(s) about monitoring...either holter monitoring or through devices like the "REVEAL" implantable monitor. Maybe they will point to some specific irregularity. I caution you, however, in regards to expecting the correction of any minor irregularities to "fix" you...how would you feel if those minor blips during the day went away and you still felt rotten? Again, I suppose I'm talking about accepting the entirety of your POTS diagnosis. I know how difficult it is at times, but we really haven't much choice.

I just wanted you to know I've had arrythmias for 30 years now. I think for most of us, everytime some new symptom comes along, we tend to get a bit obsessed about it. I had a thing with my bp and listening to my heart with my stethescope. Since I had been a cardiac nurse, i figured if I listened every five seconds I would figure out what was wrong.

I am guessing this is a phase and as some time goes by you will feel this need to check your pulse less often. We just kind of start coping and dealing with with stuff and it becomes less anxiety provoking. I don't worry about stuff I get used to, but when i get a new symptom, I have to learn to adjust to that too. If people ask you, you can just say your neck hurts and rub around it (not on the carotid where you are checking , it can affect your pulse to do that) or you can just tell them you have an irregular heart rate and you are feeling it. Or you can ask them a really personal question and shut them up.

This will pass as you realize it's probably benign and you get used to them. I have them sometimes all day long. My guess is (only a guess) you are having a beat that's too early, so it hasn't had time to fill with the normal amount of blood, then the heart resets itself and over fills, because of the tiny pause and it takes more force to push more blood out. So you are not actually feeling the wrong beat, you are feeling the beat that's fixing things. Everyone in the world has these beats, everyone. It's just not everyone feels them. The heart can't beat a bazillion times in your life and never have any irregularities.

Many people find they have 100's of them and it's only by accident, on some other test. They just don't feel them and don't have any symptoms from them. The pounding comes from the heart thinking something has frightened it. Or thinks it's exercising when it's not. That's my least favorite feeling. It's called hyperandrenergic reactions. Our hearts just do it whenever they want as opposed to appropriate times.

I hope this helps a little. The pounding does go away, because you only have so much adrenaline at a time to keep it pounding, so it will stop. Good luck, and this shall pass, and hopefully nothing new to crop up and take it's place! Most of us have obseesed, so don't fret about it. morgan

Sitting at a desk is one of the worst things for me - even when im 'well' (POTS is a minor inconvenience and only about 10-20% of a crash) I find that sitting still in a chair brings it out the worst and tends to make me wound up due to norepinephrine building up to maintain blood to the brain.

Its worth checking it out, but I think most POTS patients are what they call 'hypervigilant' and due to sympathetic overactivity tend to be finally tuned to their body and pick up on lots of stuff - particularly cardiac function. Since Ive got POTS i get all sorts of strange episodes - heart beats and weird breathlessness at night, etc, but ive learned to ignore them because Ive been checked thoroughly many times.

Im not saying not to get stuff checked out yourself, just more my own experiences with it.