cough and throat irritation

Radha

hey,sorry to be posting so many questions, just wondering if any of you feel like you have to clear your throat and cough after eating, i have this problem after eating anything and its worse when i lie down, after about an hour it gets better, i'mso scared to cough since that will trigger the tachycardia, and is there anything that might help avoid this, other than not eating and sucking on lozenges, or could this be allergy related? but i notice its worse after eating, thanks for any input,

I did that too a lot after eating. My biggest change to diet is dairy, very little or just certain items now. I still have a lot of "flem" after eating but I'm still working on diet changes. My next step is wheat gluten(sp?). That one is a lot harder for me. About 14 months ago, I had to change what and how much meat I ate. Now I eat mostly fish, chicken, venisin(deer, buffalo and rabbit) and suppliment with soy product, little or no beef and pork.

Good luck,

Blackwolf

Hey Radha..I'm a Speech Path. and work with swallowing issues. Have some suggestions. First..eat slowly and take small bites..try 1/2 teaspoon at a time. Alternate bites of food with sips of liquid..(ie. couple bites and sip..couple bites sip). If you feel like residue is still present clear your throat and swallow again. After a meal sit up at least 30 min. as close to 90 degrees as possible. If you cont. to have problems or it gets worse (you have choaking..coughing following swallow) ask your doctor to order a Modified Barium Swallow Study. The MBS is done by a radiologist and Speech Path. and is non-invasive and will show exactly what's going on!! I hope this helps!! It's been so long since I've been able to help people with these problems!! :ph34r:

thanks everyone for your input, no i dont have trouble swallowing and no heartburn and it doesnt matter if i lie down or sit up after eating, always have to clear throat for awhile, like post nasal drip or mucus sticking to back of throat, i also have very bad chronic sinus congestion which nothing alleviates, dont think its allergy related, but coughing makes heart rate go up for me, anyway, i'm glad i have all of you to turn to

Radha

I have reflux and I also have chronic sinus problems. I seem to have sensitivities to certain foods, and certainly milk products seem to make me very junky. I'm on quite an anti-allergy combo to keep the infections at bay:

flonase

advair

singulair

zyrtec

and benedryl

I take all of these EVERY day. My doc adds more when I'm infected, including a mucous thinner, and increase in the advair dose, and I often need to add the emergency asthma meds too.

Additionally, I take Nexium 2x a day.

You really should bring up your symptoms with your doctor. Could just be your sinuses, but if it's gi related, not treating it can have serious long term effects.

Nina

my coughing is more like morgan describes...when i am having a lot of flip flops in the heart rate dep't. it's like i cough to regulate it again.

it is similar to the tickle feeling you have, but not relieved by water or sucking on something. and not after eating...although, eating can cause tachy which could cause coughing.

sounds like other folks are more onto what might be going on, but wanted you to know that i cough and it sounds AWFUL when i feel bad and my heart is goofy, but i don't think it means anything for me.

the sinus stuff could definitely do it too! all that 'junk" as nina says. i guess that sounds better than saying phlegm or snot? :)

emily