Help! I Can't Handle The Heat

It has been in the 80's here the last few days, and I cannot leave my air conditioned room without feeling like I'm going to pass out or throw up. I have a cooling vest, but this year it doesn't seem to be helping nearly as much. What do the rest of you do? Meds, devices, tricks? Please help-- right now, I don't know if I'll make it through the summer!

We bought a one room air conditioner window unit for me last summer, so that we don't need to turn on the house AC. Saves us money on overall electric bill. But yes, it does mean I am confined to one room especially during the peak heat hours of the day!

I carry a misting bottle with me anytime I go out. I just keep spritzing myself ... all the time. Sometimes we get those little mini battery operated fans that have the misting bottle attached. But those are kind of bulky and noisy and the batteries cost money. So I keep my little water bottle that fits in the palm of my hand and just keep spraying myself.

When I'm having a big hot flash (ah the joys of perimenapause and POTS) I will sit on frozen ice packs or place them under the soles of my feet.

I've not tried the cooling vest ... and by the price of it, its not likely I will any time soon. But I do have one of those aussie neck cobbers ... http://www.simplyoz.com/products/gifts__mu...obber_neck_wrap they stay cool for a long time and I use them at times as well.

Good luck finding something(s) that work for you.

~EM

I have a room air conditioner in addition to my central air, too. And a large fan aimed right towards my bed.

Needless to say, I'm incredibly heat intolerant. A couple of years ago, our central air gave up the ghost. It took us about a week to get a new unit. Ofcourse, as is always the case, when the air conditioning goes, a heat wave occurs. Even with my room air conditioning, I honestly thought I was going to die. By the end of that week, I was completely bedridden, holding onto so much fluid my lungs were filling up, using home oxygen and heading into a cluster headache cycle. I honestly believe I'm one of those people who would die in a heat wave without air conditioning.

Ofcourse, as soon as the new air conditioning unit was installed, the heat wave broke.

So what do I do? I don't go out in summer. If I do, I try to confine it to evenings/night-time. My family calls me "The Vampire". I refer to myself as being rather "bat-like". Last summer, we did go to Canada for a week....it was amazing! I could venture outside during day-light hours.

I have found those neck wraps cheaper at Walmart and they work about the same. They are in the sports isle with the golf stuff. You have to look around though because I have asked if they have them and they look at me all puzzled, I later find them on my own.

Smartwater is another thing I have liked recently. It is nice because it has the electrolytes and no calories. They said on one web site to drink one half a glass of cold water every hour while awake to keep cooled down. Another said every twenty minutes so depends on how hot you are feeling and how hot it is at the time.

Keep cool summer is upon us!! Anyone else want to share expenses and move to Alaska this summer?? LOL

Shelby

I've been melting already and it's only been in the 80's. I haven't tried the cooling vests but I'm thinking this may be a must have this summer! I'm hoping I can get this covered by my health insurance. I'm sure it'll be worth every cent though even if they won't cover it. I would hibernate for the summer if I could but my kids love the park!!

Brye

The UK isn't as hot at the USA but today has been too hot for me! I'm away from home and most places in the UK don't have a/c. At home I have a portable a/c unit that is a life-saver.

As I can't have a/c where I am staying I am relying on my cobber neck-wrap. It really does help.

The other thing that helps is a spray can product called Magicool. It is like spritzing yourself with water but it has stuff in it so that it evapourates more slowly than water so the cooling effect lasts longer. If I have to go outdoors I take a can with me.

Flop

I live in Florida....it is getting hot!! I love the beach normally but not this year!!! I go in my pool at nite if at all.

I wanted to see if anyone notices even when indoors if they are worse on hot/humid days? My daughter (15) has a theory that even when I am inside in air conditioning, I am much better on cooler, rainy days. I think she is right. Today was hot again and my HR was 140...Friday it was raining and cooler and my HR was 115.

Thanks!

My daughter has a very rough time in the heat. In fact she is sick right now and I am suspecting too much heat and excitment.

She has a cooling vest too. This year we alos bought the cooling cap. Have only used the cap once and so far it seems to have helped more that the vest.

I have to try them both out more though to know for sure.

Have you tried the cap?

THANK YOU for all the suggestions. I've not tried the hat, but made myself a neck wrap really cheap, using the gardening water crystals. The thing I did last week that helped was to put my feet in a bucket of ice water when I was sitting outside (in the shade), which cooled off my entire body. It won't help when I want to go someplace or be up and around, but it did allow me to be outside with my nephew and watch him play.

We tried the cooling items that have the crystals, but I find the three-layer evaporative cooling fabric to work better and longer.

I am going to contact Silver Eagle to see if I can just purchase the fabric in bulk and make some items myself.