Adie's Syndrome

I went to the eye doctor yesterday for blurry vision and was told that I have Adies. The doctor did a double residency in Neuro and does my checks every year. He said that it is basically "POTS of the eyeball"! It made me laugh that I am now falling apart alphabetically. I chuckled all the way to the car, and then I wanted to cry.

Anyway, he said that another name is Tonic Pupil and can be caused by Dysautonomia, but is still rare. It is in both eyes and new since last year. There are three symptoms: sweating disorder and tonic pupil, and in the short future I get to enjoy absent deep tendon reflexes. He said there are likely cranial nerve lesions that cause it- it is a denervation of the post ganglion yada yada yada (I was in a different state of denial by the end of the sentence). Basically, after having POTS for 5 years, I have new damage- which is different from anything I've read about POTS.

Does anyone else have this?

What happens when your tendon reflexes go (the hammer on the knee)? Can I still walk? Will I walk like a psycho, egyptian, etc?

Has anyone had evidence of ongoing or new damage?

Wierd. I don't know quite what to think. My scariest thoughts are of MSA, although I think I was tested quite well for that at Mayo.

Kits

I didn't even get a sucker... ;):blink::blink:

Ive never heard of that before. Many POTSIes experience increased eye pressure, vitreous floaters and other abnormalities from reduced blood flow to the eyes when standing.

Is he sure of the diagnosis? If it is correct it would demonstrate that in your case POTS is probably caused by denervation which (maybe) might assist your treatment.

Stupid question, but did you google this? There is a wonderful site. they say its not disabling and glasses and eye drops (you do have them right)

Will make your reading etc. work better. I have crappy eyes. I had ARDS and was on life support for almost 3 weeks 5 years ago and it reactivated a dormant virus which spread to both eyes.

Did he do a mri or cat scan? Miriam

my pupils are different sizes slightly and have a retinal hole that i've put on the back burner for 6 years. i need to call and make appoints tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me. :huh: my eyes sight changes from day to day. so i just buy every cute pair of glasses in different strengths so i can see to read.

i'll ask about this one. thank you for one more possible dx. LOL! only joking!

BellaMia~