Neurologist Called Wants To Do An Emg - What Will This Do?

So, I'm not sure what to think. Last week I wrote him a note with a copy of my recent records from my cardio, saying my cardiologist wanted my records from him. That I had, had a positive TTT, and an unexplained colon rupture, that small fiber neuropathy can be a part of the dysautonomia and that I had frequent pins and needles in my arms and legs, and my skin was frequently cold to the touch. Thanked him for assisting my cardiologist and said if he had anything to offer that would get me functional again, it would be appreciated.

I didn't ask for an appointment and really didn't expect to hear from him. He after all was the one two years ago, that wasn't confident on Dr Yan Go of UCLAs findings that there appeared to be some kind of dysautonomia. He said there where no doctors in arizona and I should go to mayo. Like he wouldn't believe Mayo, but not UCLA. His doctor's notes on me say I appear to have anxiety!!!! I also said something about that in the note in a nice way, that anxiety is often misdiagnosed in pots. So, I really didn't expect to hear from him.

So I get this call from his office yesterday saying they want to do an emg, this week. No reason why! No appt to talk with me first.

So is this an answer to prayers? Like our friend here that got appt at cleveland clinic out of the blue! Will this test help me figure out anything?

I think I had an emg years ago after a car accident herniated my L5/S1, I remember it being very painful to me, but that the test came back normal, though I think I had a hyper painful response to it. So, if it comes back normal, then what???

It is so interesting how once you have had a positive tilt table, all of the sudden you are taken more seriously. Like that test opens doors that wouldn't open before, even though all symptoms pointed in dysautonomia's direction.

Well I'm cautiously optomistic, any advise to you all have that will help with the test or question I might pose to the doc, would be great!! The appt is tommorrow (thurs) at 2:30.

I had a very thorough EMG at Mayo, and yes, sometimes it is painful. EMG's can detect peripheral neuropathy, but NOT small fiber neuropathy. So don't be discouraged if it comes back normal. Small fiber neuropathy can be detected by skin biopsy, quantitative sensory testing, or as a diagnosis by exclusion based on your symptoms. The Mayo neuro said that since my EMG was normal but I had abnormal sensation of heat, pins and needles, and painful skin that I had small fiber neuropathy. Some neurologists aren't willing to give this diagnosis because it often isn't able to be validated by concrete tests. If your EMG comes back normal, ask the neurologist if he would do a skin biopsy to check for small fiber neuropathy (you may have to go to a dermatologist for the actual biopsy). Also see if they do quanititative sensory testing (which tests if you have abnormal sensation of heat, cold, and vibration.) Some doctors still view this test as experimental, though, since the results are based on the patient's reports of sensations, which they view as being too subjective I guess.

While I had my EMG, I just kept picturing myself on the beach with the sun warming my skin and the waves lapping at my feet :lol: . It still hurt, but as badly as it could have been.

I had a very thorough EMG at Mayo, and yes, sometimes it is painful. EMG's can detect peripheral neuropathy, but NOT small fiber neuropathy. So don't be discouraged if it comes back normal. Small fiber neuropathy can be detected by skin biopsy, quantitative sensory testing, or as a diagnosis by exclusion based on your symptoms. The Mayo neuro said that since my EMG was normal but I had abnormal sensation of heat, pins and needles, and painful skin that I had small fiber neuropathy. Some neurologists aren't willing to give this diagnosis because it often isn't able to be validated by concrete tests. If your EMG comes back normal, ask the neurologist if he would do a skin biopsy to check for small fiber neuropathy (you may have to go to a dermatologist for the actual biopsy). Also see if they do quanititative sensory testing (which tests if you have abnormal sensation of heat, cold, and vibration.) Some doctors still view this test as experimental, though, since the results are based on the patient's reports of sensations, which they view as being too subjective I guess.

While I had my EMG, I just kept picturing myself on the beach with the sun warming my skin and the waves lapping at my feet :lol: . It still hurt, but as badly as it could have been.

Thank you! Thankful. This is helpful.

My pins and needles usually are from the elbow down and the knees down. They also fall asleep with very little pressure. I pretty much wake up every morning with stiff burning arms and some times feet. Is this the same pattern as yours? Also do you know what kind of neuropathy effects the digestive track? I think I get the splanich pooling when I sleep at night, my blood pressure drops into the 90s/50-60s. I also have lots of tiny pin prick size red spots all over my torso and legs. I'm wondering if that's from pooling blood as well.

If this is the same test, I'm really not looking forward to being tortoured again. That TTT was incredibly painful for me and I was sick for weeks after it.

Thanks again.

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you have some kind of neuropathy. I don't know much about GI neuropathy, sorry! I have constant burning/tingling in my feet, hands, and face. Under any kind of stress, activity, caffeine, at night, or heat exacerbates my burning. Neurontin or lyrica helped but made me too constipated. I don't know about the red spots, either, except they sound like petechiae. I have visible pooling in my arms or legs. They turn various shades of reddish-blue when lowered. You should be able to lie down during the EMG. Have a good day tomorrow, and treat yourself to something after the test so you have something to look forward to!