Atarax (hydroxyzine) -- Anyone Use This?

I recall seeing some people have this anti-histimine in their signature, but can't recall who at the moment.

Last year when I was in a really bad POTS crash and was having the LONG hyperadrenic episodes I tried various benzos but they didn't work well with my system. However the placebo effect of at least having them on hand gave me the illussion there w

s something I could take if it was going into multiple hours of high agitation POTS.

Atarax is a sedating antihistime and since some of what is flaring now for me includes ear pressure, I thought it might provide some relief by way of slowing down things a bit.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have experience with it?

Thx,

~EM

Hi EM,

Yes, atarax really turned thing around for me. I was having almost daily throat tightness, hives, really low BP, even though I was on H-1's, H-2's, and an anti-leukentreine. Strangely enough, it does NOT sedate me. It actually appears to have the opposite effect. I feel a bit reved up with it. I have to remember to take it after dinner so I have time to calm down a bit before sleep. My allergist described it as converting into the equivalent of two and a half 10mg zyrtec. It is a strong H-1.

I think it's a strange choice for your first foray into an H-1. Why not try zyrtec during the day or benadryl (if you want the sedating effect) in the evening? If those OTC meds are helpful and you feel that you need more, then consider atarax.

All the best-

Julie

I have interstitial cystitis, so I am "allowed" to take 50 mg of atarax 3 X/day/ I do not. I usually take 25 mg/day, and on a bad IC flare day (like today), I'll take 50 mgs.

It does make restless leg syndrome worse and I hate that. At one time I was taking a low-dose benzo (klonopin) to maybe help the restless leg, but I decided to discontinue that because I kept getting fatter on it.

Miriam,

Are you saying you CANNOT take something for restless legs because of the atarax?

EarthMother, it does have a sedating effect on me. It makes me more tired. The side effect of drowsiness is a pain when you first start, but maybe if you start low and work up, you can bypass this effect?

The stuff is great for IC. I tried stopping this last week, and BAM my bladder is hurting again.

Good luck.

I am actually looking for something with a sedating effect to help ride out the storm when I am in a bad flare. I don't mean the day to day flares of POTS but the really bad surges that can seem to come out of no where and stay for hours on end before abating. It doesn't happen often -- giving thanks -- but when I entered this recent crash in early April, it was happening every couple of days. The surges would last from 30 minutes (I can tolerate) to 5 hours which gets exhausting very quickly.

Basically, in a pinch, I want to know I have something on hand that may be able to help soften the blow of these really bad attacks. Not sure I'll ever take it, or even be able to tolerate it. But having tried the benzos and beta-blockers to no avail ... I'm moving on to Plan B (or is that C? M? Q? Y? ... gosh I've lost count!)

Thanks all for the input.

~EM

I took it around the clock before i knew i had pots. i got off it because i was driving a car and it said could make you sleepy. So I had the doc change it it allegera 24/7. Past few days i'm getting worse and need an intervention. i go into the hospital tomorrow for fluids and the staff will do an intake and check me out. good luck as atarax is used for both anxiety and itching.

I have taken Atarax for about 25 years for what I was told were panic attacks. Recently, I've been told these weren't panic attacks, but POTS attacks. It has greatly helped me when I am feeling my worst. I only take 1/4 of a 25 mg tablet when I feel like I need it. I don't have the drowsiness at this dose, but for some reason it generally just helps me feel better. It's not a magic pill, but I wouldn't want to be without it. I'm am very sensitive to medications but have not had any problems from the Atarax.

My only advice is to start out at the smallest dose possible and work your way up to the larger dose if necessary. Of course your doctor's advice certainly outweighs mine.

Babette

id give it a try - i know exactly what your going through and its the fact that it lasts for so long and keeps coming back that makes it so difficult. Ive used propanalol for it a few times, and havent found any benzos that helped. Valarian and kava were both fairly helpful - kava in particular.

Id give Atarax a try - when im like that ill take anything.

Guest elyag

I took it a few times about 10 years ago for chronic hives and did fine on it. Then tried it again a few years later, at a child's dose and broke out in a cold sweat and felt "weird" and drugged. I tolerate so few medications so I'm probably not the best one to ask about this

I have taken atarax when I've had a crisis and it was not good for me. I was utterly sedated and zoombied out for two days. Unless I want that reaction intentionally, I'm not willing to take that chance again. It flet like I might not wake up form that stuffl! If you don't react that way, it may help you, but remember that it also is an incredibly drying antihistimine. I got sore, dry throat, and horseness when taking it. I also only took half the prescribed dose. good luck!!