Fainting

Adria

Recently, I have been experiencing a lot more fainting spells and I am unconscious for longer periods of time according to my mom. I recently fainted at the top of the staircase and caused traumatic cubital tunnel syndrome in my left wrist. I know that I am blessed because it could have been so much worse. Lately I have not been getting auras before my fainting spells so I cannot tell when they are going to occur. Does anyone have any ideas as to how you can cushion the blow of a fainting spell short of wrapping yourself in foam. I am deeply concerned about breaking a bone or causing a worse injury. :rolleyes:

Hi Virginia, wish I could help. have damaged myself more than once. I never have any warning. In fact, we just moved into a house with not one step, it got so bad for me. I wish I had words of wisdom for you. Some people wear helmets on bad days, you know when you know it's just going to be one of those days, or you are in a situation where you could easily do harm to yourself. At least you don't have to worry so much about head injury.

I think this something everyone who faints or falls or paralyzes worries about. Do you have a sitting walker or anything you can drop into very quickly? People use these all the time, because sitting can help when feeling faint. I'd rather land on the chair than the floor or down the stairs. I do avoid stairs like the plague and at one point just sat and scooted down them. These are not optimal ideas, I know, but it's been my way of coping. Hopefully someone may have better ones. I had to break a few things before I gave up on dignity over disaster. Good luck sweetie. morgan

Thanks Morgan. I will definitely start scooting down the stairs. I had not considered that. I may also have to give the walker idea a try. I am very much concerned about fainting in public. I guess i have to get over my dignity/embarassment issues and get a little more proactive.

the past few days have been the worst for me. I have fainted once years ago, and almost 6 months ago everything went black for a few seconds when I was on the toilet bleeding heavy at the hospital. I freaked out, they decided to call it a near pass out because I didn't hit the floor. I put my head down and held it and pulled the light for the nurses.

the PS said if i hit the floor she would have to pull my driving license. i never have a problem sitting, so today I thought after my rough weekend and realizing I really need a wheelchair, scooter, or walker with seat. Otherwise I'm not going to have a life at all. How or how do I ask for these things and which are the Best?

You must have a link to this already. I'm afraid now after the weekend that I will faint if I'm in a line in a store. I passed a man while in a cab today with a nice purple walker with a seat and a basket today. I thought, I could make that artsy and go out in style. But I need help, I afraid I'll be fainting before my next visit.

I can email the doc but i need to know what is out there.

Good morning~

I am also a fainter, and when I'm in a 'down' phase, can pass out 3-4 times a week. I drive unless it's a really bad day, because I only faint when I first stand up or when I've been on my feet too long. Unfortunately, we have a double staircase to our second floor that I must maneuver at least a couple of times a day. Either I walk down the stairs holding on to a rail and my boyfriend, or I go downstairs on my rump. Not very dignified, but hey - whatever works.

Now in the 'embarrassing department' I have fainted in the middle of Macy's and also in front of the post office. Thankfully I had someone along both times. It's gotten to where I can feel myself starting to go, and the best thing to do is bend over and grasp your knees, hard. Or sit down immediately, if you can. Grab onto a friend if they're nearby. Do you also have sudden falls? Sometimes I'll just collapse to the floor, but not pass out. I can never tell when these are coming...I suppose I should look at a walker or cane or maaaaaybe a wheelchair, but I just don't want to give in!

Hang in there, and do the best you can, and don't take needless risks. We all supporting you here!

Cheers,

Jana

Thank you so much for the support. It helps to know that I am not alone in this constant battle. I have started sliding down the stairs on my rump after the spell that sent me tumbling down the stairs. I do not tend to suffer from falls but I have very little warning with my fainting spells. I used to have the room get dark, get dizzy, lose my hearing, feel numb and pass out (this would happen over the course of a minute or so but that was enough time to sit down). Now I can be functioning well at one moment and the next moment I am on the floor. At this point I am having a fainting spell almost every day and there is no predicting when it is going to occur. I have been secluding myself in the house because I really do now want to faint and public and embarass whoever I am with including myself. Its like I am trying to cling to my public dignity yet at the same time I cannot remain a prisoner in my mother's house (she is also disabled). I am just concerned that others will stare at me if it happens in public and I will be mortified. I guess it is something that I must get over in order to cope with this disease but it really *****. :rolleyes:

I used to go up steps on all fours and down on my butt. In public I found that pulling myself up with the handrail (arm strength) was much safer then using leg power. I went arm over arm -.

I asked for a spotter in public, when going down. Which means have a friend go down just ahead of you. THANKFULLY the med I am on now gives me warning time- :).

good luck!