Vitamin C Improved Nitric Oxide Dependent Vasodilation

Some of Dr Julian Stewart's studies suggest that a subset of patients may suffer from POTS as a result of elevated angiontensin II levels increasing oxidisive stress and reducing endothial/vascular nitric oxide levels. This basically means that they suffer from reduced blood flow and after exercise malaise that is quite similar to that seen in congestive heart failure.

There are supplements that increase nitric oxide bioavailability but a simple one that may help is Vitamin C - which has a particular action against two suspected causes ofreduced bioavailability of nitric oxide; elevated angiotensin II or elevated C-reactive protein which is elevated in chronic inflammation.

http://www.biomedexperts.com/Abstract.bme/...forearm_vessels

This might be a relatively benign way of testing this hypothesis - although Id try it from mandarins or fruit rather than as a supplement to increase absorption.

I've been taking 3g supplemental Vit C for about a year now. It's helped me tremendously. I can't say it's helped with vasoconstriction per se as I still have tremendous pooling in my splanchnic bed but I do credit Vit C for a general improvement in health, particularly in my 'bounce-back-ability'. Keep in mind that increased levels of Vit C also require increased water intake (don't you ever feel like we might just float away!). I'd be curious to hear how your test goes. -WB

I'm in!

This most recent crash has gotten the best of me. (Had one day of hope earlier this week that things were turning, but that was quickly dashed by a return and resurgence of symptoms the next morning.)

I've got a fridge stocked with oranges, yams, cabbage, and papaya as well as a dozen cans of organic chopped tomato that arrived yesterday. I'm set.

Will let you know.

There are supplements that increase nitric oxide bioavailability but a simple one that may help is Vitamin C - which has a particular action against two suspected causes ofreduced bioavailability of nitric oxide; elevated angiotensin II or elevated C-reactive protein which is elevated in chronic inflammation.

Do you know if people with reduced bioavailability of nitric oxide neccessarily have elevated CRP in bloodwork?