Waking Up With Anxiety

Guest brianala

Guest brianala

Does anyone else wake up with anxiety? It's a problem I've had for many, many years. Not a panic attack per se, but on a regular basis I wake up with an overwhelming feeling of anxiety and some of the same thoughts running through my head. The anxiety doesn't wake me up in the middle of the night, but rather when my alarm goes off this is the first thing that runs through my head before I wake up completely.

Usually my thoughts go something like this: "Oh crap, what day is it? Where am I? Did I pay the rent/mortgage? Are the other bills paid?". These are completely irrational things for me to be anxious about because I've never had a problem paying my bills or being late, and it's not something I'm in danger of either. But, 3 or 4 days out of the week I'll wake up with these thoughts, and it's been going on for at least 7 years now.

Anyone else have anxiety when you wake up?

I felt like that this morning, when for some reason I woke up at 5:00 am or so. I drank plenty yesterday, and wasn't dehydrated. I'm thinking it was due to watching the Trailblazers/Rockets game last night. I mean 2 and 1/2 hours of adrenaline! So I woke up to the wonderful palpitations (I figure my heartrate was about 120 whenever I changed positions), anxiety, cold sweats.

I had to take a benadryl at 6am and I slept til almost 11... <_< !

I've been more POTsy lately, in spite of doing all my usual compression, fluids, etc. I notice more early-morning symptoms if I'm in a flare.

I don't know how you get up so early!

brianala,

I usually never wake up with anxiety, but I certainly struggle with it. I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder (gad) and have had a lot of success taking a small dose of Paxil. I've seen a number of people on the forum who take anti-depressants/anxiety meds, and perhaps this would work for you, too. I rarely feel anxiety anymore, which is great. I also have Xanax, which can help alleviate 'panic attacks' or if you feel an anxiety attack coming on. Just something to think about...you may want to ask your doctor about it. I'm very sensitive to meds, but I've been able to tolerate these two in small doses.

Please take care and hope you're feeling better soon!

Cheers,

Jana

yes i wake up every morning with bad anxiety and terrible agitation and and so hyper as soon as i get up from lying down to sitting up in bed....its awful and

takes so long to settle down and i always have a problem with too much thinking and racing thoughts, its terrible and drives me crazy! sorry i dont have any

helpful advice, i really dont want to take meds like xanax everyday.......but maybe you could think about taking a med like that.....

radha