Swine Flu

UtahApoc

Some may have heard of the Swine or Pig flu that has started to spread.

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci...0,1963704.story

As Mexico City closed schools and began taking other measures to contain the spread of a swine flu outbreak that may have infected hundreds of people and killed as many as 60, U.S. officials said Friday they had found one new case in San Diego, bringing the total number in the United States cases to eight.

just wanted to put out a notice to everyone. If this things does become pandemic we are a very bad target. Our bodies are already sick, and this flu can be deadly.

Hola UtahApoc~

Thanks for thinking of us and posting this warning. I've been following this story very closely, too. I'm glad the health officials are seeing this as a very real and dangerous situation and closing down schools to prevent further contamination. I try to be very careful with picking up germs - washing my hands a lot, not touching bathroom door handles and such, and then of course I get into an elevator or go to a movie and sit next to the only person coughing and sneezing.

Whattaya going to do?

Cheers,

Jana

<_< Just got home from my weekly infusion. The woman who runs the front desk is now one of my best friends. All hospitals are set up with masks, hand sanitizer, and Kleenex. People are told to go to their doctors if they feel the signs of the flu, which can be tough tough for me. ( worst headache of your life, joint pain, cough, cold symptoms, may have diarrhea or gastro ) So my nurse told me they just use tamiflu to treat everyone just to make sure.

Masks are getting hard to find at medical supply, drug stores and people may have to go to building supply stores for masks.

Lets all be safe here and first of all don't panic, as I think the stress they are causing is not a good thing. When appropriate where a mask, always wash your hands, use your common sense, pay attention to news alerts.

And always stay hydrated!

Program our brains that we won't get this, I often eat olives stuffed in garlic from trader joes when I get sick and just watch my bp as the garlic can lower it. but, I'll call the doc this time, even if it's a false alarm.

Be well everyone!

I'm very worried , I don't leave the house to much but I do have doc appointments . Theres only been one case in Indiana but it was not far from where I am!!!!!! I am gonna get masks for my family whenever we leave the house is that crazy????Hopefully they won't be sold out :o

From what I read about tamiflu is not that great alot of possible side-effects especially the stories about what happend in Japan. What should people with dysautonomia really do? I'm starting to panic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mae :blink::blink::lol::huh::(:P:o:lol::angry:<_<:angry::ph34r:

mae, you sound very scared tonight. I hope you can put your faith in your higher power and try to let go and try to relax. The stress will only weaken our immune system. And you being fearful, will make your children scared. do you really want your children living in fear? surround your family in white light of safety and teach them to wash their hands and use common sense. Use masks in hospitals er's, airplanes, airports, areas where it is necessary. It is in my area, 1/2 hour from me, but they were in mexico and they have been confined. there is also one more case of it in massachusetts waiting for results. I'm not going to stop my life, if it hits me then it was in the cards long before we ever heard of the swine flu.

we are all hanging here by a thread mae, we have to live for today the best we can, even if it's from our beds. we or are children could have an accident at any moment that could end our lives, but we can't protect and keep everyone in a glass bubble that can't be broken. we all need to be enjoying our families and making happy memories while we are here on making precious planet time.

We just all need to be calm, not panic and stay positive. I have masks if I need them, but I don't need them now.

I think the President gave good points on what to do tonight. I hope you can feel calmer about all this and I will pray for all of us and all our loved ones also, that we will all be safe from this swine virus.

Take a deep breath everyone... the flu is dangerous regardless if the seasonal flu or swine flu.

Take your standard precautions as you would during ANY flu season. Also, we've braved swine flu (H1N1) before--I lived through it in the 70's... yeah, I'm old. We've got a bunch of cases nearby that are probable, and we know of some confirmed as well. All of our schools are still open. Use your handwashing as a best defense!!! ... and DO NOT go to work or be with friends who are actively sick, and if you're sick, STAY home. Use hand gel when you can't wash.

Also, keep in mind too, that paper masks like you get at the pharmacy are USELESS against viruses in general. However, if it keeps you from touching your face/mouth area, then go for it. Personally, I feel like I'm suffocating in one of those things. I had to wear one to see my dad in ICU... yuck.

Nina

My sister in law and I had a horrible virus in March. Same symptoms of swine flu, but it was probably another flu. It started with a cough, tight chest, weird headache, unlike anything we felt before, HORRIBLE BODY ACHES, AND THE WORST BACK PAIN I EVER FELT IN MY LIFE. I had no appetite, and felt nauseated but didn't throw up. My sister in law did, and she had it coming out the other end too. I prayed to god this wouldn't happen with me. My BPs were running 80/something sitting, and I don't want to know what they were running standing. My sister in law coudln't even stand up, and she doesn't have POTS.

My fever was 101.8, and I rememeber tylenol wasn't clearing the fever, only lowering it some. Neither one of us has ever been this sick in our lives. I felt so bad for her because she was sick since her husband/my brother died. The funeral home was packed with sick people crying, hugging, and holding hands. At first we both got sick with colds, then we got this other virus--------------the horrible one.

It took weeks for my body to get back to my usual state which isn't great--- <_< Now I have another virus, and this one seems to be another cold. Got it from the grandchildren.

Your not old Nina, it wasn't that long ago you were forty. I'll be fifty next month------ :angry: I want so much to feel better, and I hope and pray things will change for the better.

The swine flu is in Ohio, and that's where we live, so no telling if that is what we had, but like I said------WE HAVE NEVER BEEN SO SICK.

I'm happy to say Debbie is feeling much better, and out with her sisters having a margarita or two. We were going to have her and her son over tomorrow night for dinner, but I have this other virus, so I called to let her know she should stay away from me----------------she doesn't need to get sick again. Her son Jeremy is trying to get back on track in school so he can graduate. He's also going to prom this weekend, and getting sick would ruin it for him. His father's passing was very hard on him, and we are all so proud of him for working so hard to graduate. His father wanted to make it to his graduation so badly. We will all be there, and Joe will be there in spirit.

Maxine :0)

well when i heard of this it did freak me out, i seem to catch everything, but instead of worrying and getting stress(these WORSEN your immune system). Im going to go to war with prevention, using sanitizer, taking a potent multi vitamin, taking immune system boosting tea, gonna try eating decent amounts of fruits and veggies. I also might try supplementing BETA-glucan, a strong immune supplement. Other than that i don't leave me house often except i live with a 2 year old germ factory and 4 other people, so i am preparing for the worst lol.

Also from what i have read masks don't really help. If the flu germs get on the outside of the mask, soon as you take it off the germs will be on your hands, in the air etc.

So people who are paranoid like me i suggest:

Taking a strong multi-vitamin (i take nature way's alive)

-Drink a good herbal tea in the morning that supports immune system

-Eat fruits and veggies

-Do frequent exercise, not too much to overload yourself

-Buy sanitizer, sanitize keyboards/mouse, Refrigerator door, light switches, sink handles etc

-Wash your hands/sanitize before eating, touching your face, keep finger nails short and clean

-Check out AHCC or beta glucan supplements may help also, im looking into these when i get some money

Just some tips, i hope we can all avoid this flu! I know i am praying for it. Don't forget the power of positive thinking on the immune system, instead of worrying about the flu, declare war on it ahead of time.

I just want to echo Nina's common sense statements. There is no reason for alarm right now. Take the normal precautions you would take to avoid any flu. As usual the media is getting us all very alarmed, when there is no evidence that this is warranted. there is far more the govt(s) and medicine can do now, too, than could be done in the 1970s or 1918, to reduce risks and deaths, should it become a more serious concern.

I have a good friend at work from Mexico and work with many Mexicans and they are a bit shocked at how all this is playing out in the USA. So far, they've said that it is fairly confined to Mexico City and that their families back in Mexico are treating it like any other contagious illness, instead of like the plague. A pandemic makes a good news story. It is responding to treatments. Don't freak out. Wash your hands and do what you'd do any other cold/flu season. Just remember a cough or sneeze is just as likely to be allergies at this time of year, the flu hits with a fever.

Stay well!

My son just called and they have shut down the high school in the next town and we have people in the hospital right down the street from me now. I may need to cancel my hydration if all this keeps up. :)

I am with Nina. I am not the least bit worried. Folks die from all flus all the time which is why the elderly and others CHOOSE to take vaccines. A vaccine rushed to market due to latest "media hype" is not good. REMEMBER the media's job is to try and make you live in fear. They are doing their job.

I am even older than Nina but also remember the Swine flu and in 1976 there was a COMMERCIAL hyping the vaccine back then that was not a good idea. Look at how dramatic this commercial was ..remember we did not have cable news 24/7 on to scream the sky is falling so they made this commercial instead. we are all still here. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3YCTnbRgm8

So indeed, take a deep breath, stay away from the media and do something you love..birdwatch, garden, watch a fun dvd movie or tv show...HGTV or something.

oh and we have school closings all the time for illness when a certain percentage of the school calls in sick. Nothing new here in Ohio. Take a deep breath folks! It will be ok. Watch the squirrels or for the first hummingbird of the season.

squirrellookingatmecrop-1.jpg

We have more schools with problems than many other areas of the country--within 30 or so minutes from here, there's the Univ or Delaware, where they have at least 10 confirmed, and something like 16 additional as probable. They also closed an elementary school, and we have a bunch of cases in Philly and in nearby southern NJ. As for the vaccine--I get a flu vaccine most years, and I get the pneumonia vaccine every few years (you don't need it annually). The previous swine flu vaccine caused more deaths in the US in 1976 than did the actual swine flu.

:o oh how silly of me, I'm not afraid, my son and i both have compromised immune systems, that last minor flu put in the hospital for 6 very sick days. with many more at home. i wasn't able to look at salsa and chips for over a year. Sorry all, i wasn't trying to alarm anyone, as i stated earlier what ever will be will be. I guess I meant to say, it would be wise to stay out of those areas like unnecessary dr. visits and hospitals till things calm down and they will if you immune system is compromised. :angry: hey everyone , don't worry be happy!

Yea, I am not a fan of the rush to market Vaccines to make money for companies.

the Merck gardisil cervical cancer vaccine has killed 30 I think, and MANY SIDE effects on young girls...(that video can be seen on youtube if you haven't heard of it)

That commercial from 1976 was a TRIP! sigh.

Bella, point taken--even if the sarcasm isn't appreciated--my immune system isn't normal either after being on asthma meds for years--that's why I get the pneumonia and flu vaccines (the standard ones that have a long safety history). I used to get pneumonia and end up in the hospital as a yearly event....and many ER visits. Still , using the "universal precautions" mindset, most people will be safe.

BTW, we now have confirmed cases at an elementary school one town over from me, less than 5 miles from my house. It's now closed for disinfection.