Really tough day--in lots of pain

MightyMouse

I had an emergency gyn appointment today--I've been having lower back pain for about 4 weeks, which has been building in intensity. First I thought it was my posture and lack of exercise. Been diligent about that stuff since then...next I thought maybe a yeast infection? Took the commensurate meds, no help. Then I though maybe a bladder infection...but I was already on antibiotics and steroids for the sinus and ear infection.

4 days ago, I started having really sharp pain in my lower left abdomen/pelvis--I figured it was just me ovulating as I sometimes have pain with that which only lasts a few hours. It kept getting worse across the night and the back pain is just unbearable--and since Monday I've not been able to sleep well, nor have I been able to walk completely upright. So, in keeping with what I've promised myself and mentioned here before, the 4 day rule is in effect: 4 days of not normal for "my normal" strange body and off to the doctor I go.

I managed to get an emergency gyn appointment and went today on my lunch hour. The exam was excruciating, although the doc didn't find any masses that he could feel, but wants me to go for an ultrasound (again).

Since my exam (okay, I *was* going to make a really foul joke and say 'since my nooner', so my sense of humor is in there somewhere :) even if stunted at the moment--hope I didn't offend anyone), my pain level has been pretty consistent and high...searing...stabbing. I hope it dies down tonight--I just DON'T want to go to the ER. I know most of you can relate...although Vickie takes the cake with waking up with a quad-bypass!! :blink: so I feel a bit guilty for feeling miserable but pain tends to zap my attitude.

Just needed to vent for a moment that I really would like my body to play nice for a few days. All this stuff over the past few months/weeks has been emotionally draining. Need a recharge.

Thanks for listening/reading this.

Nina

WOW, Nina, you have a lot going on. I am so sorry to hear about the escalating pain and I hope you don't end up in the ER either. It wouldn't be so bad IF they could actually do something to help you but unfortunately that isn't always the case is it? I wound up in the ER on my birthday a few years ago with the same severe lower back pain and pelvic mild pain. I could hardly raise upright. When the tests came back OK, they said I must have strained my back which I knew wasn't true. Although I had 2 cultures, I asked them to send it off to the lab for the extended process and sure enough I had a bacteria infection which I learned about days later. I went over and over with the ER doc about my med sensitivities, ANS etc, etc and even checked the med he ordered with my GP....they gave me Levaquin which **** near killed me! I stopped after 2 doses and somehow got better.

Hope you can rest this evening without the pain. TAke care.

Nina,

I'm sorry you have to go through this on top of everything else.

Have you thought it might be GI/Bowel related? Sometimes things can get pretty festered up due to our slow gut motility secondary to the dysautonomia.

When I get pain like that it's usually because i'm having trouble going---you know what I mean because you have been there. But then again I have never had one female problem----i've been lucky in that area----no cysts, infections, heavy bleeding ect. My periods have been the same since age 12.

I'm glad your getting an ultra sound to check things out more.

I'm in a terrible fix right now with this bowels motility-----but not really much pain---just bloat and discomfort. My gut pain is always higher up under the ribs.

I hope this passes for you soon. I hate that when our bodies mess with our heads like this. Enough is enough------you have too much to worry about as it is...

Wishing you a quick recovery,

Julie :0)

you guys are such a good support system--thanks for always being there :)

Julia, I saw my gastro when the back pain started last month. Currently, it's not likely the problem--kind of would be easier if it were. Lexapro and lots of water and fiber seem to have gotten my guts moving a bit better. Not perfect, but better than most of the summer.

Unfortunately, I'm no stranger to the gyn problems, but it's not acted up in more than 10 years. My periods started very late--age 17, and I used have abnormal cylces. In my 20's I started having abnormal pap smears and ended up on a 3 month cycle of repeat paps and exams. I've had colposcopies (w/ cervical biopsy--snip, snip)--which I have to say is up there on my short list of most horrible personal medical experiences (along with an arterial line placement). The doc who did it is ****** lucky that I didn't kick him in the head--he gave me no warning about the pain factor--just told me I would feel a "cramp". :blink: NOT!! Pap smears always set off my vagus nerve reflex and a briefly "white out"--can't hear, breath, or see other than light--same as if you got the wind knocked out of you. Once that passes, then I have cramps and of course the autonomic aftermath of the vagus stimulation--sweats, tachy, bp all over the place.

You veterans know that I've had my share of medical procedures--and most don't scare me--MRI's, blood work, spinal surgery, laproscopic surgeries, scopes of all sorts of bodily functions, heart catheter, yada yada... there are only a few things that freak me out: gyn exam and any related procedures like a cervical biopsy and, of course, the dentist. I wanted Teri there with me today, but I decided against it at the last minute because I think I'd have felt more comfortable being a baby and bawling on the table (like I wanted to) instead of trying to breathe through the pain and be a grown up like I did.

Er... :o I guess I wasn't done venting :)

Nina

Edited by MightyMouse

Oh, Nina, this stinks :) I hope you can figure out what is going on soon. I had posted about a similar problem a few months ago, and they never did figure it out. I was having mild low back pain for a few months which quickly became severe suddenly, and it almost felt like it wrapped around into my pelvic area- not to mention my periods had gotten irregular. It was strange...but my GYN and PCP both seemed to think it was injury related. It hurt so bad I coudn't even sit on my bottom for more than a few minutes, and it throbbed at night...no bladder infection and I wasn't pregnant...it remains a mystery. Pain meds didn't touch it, either. It gradually got better but these last few weeks I've been feeling it again...mildly. Arrghhh! Anyhow I hope you get some pain releif...female problems are NO BUENO...and no fun!!

Nina, how soon can you get in for that ultrasound? It's too bad they didn't have a machine in the office... mine does, though only a few partners know how to use it. Anyway, I hope you can get that test tomorrow so you can find out what's going on. Very scary! I hope you get some relief soon; will be thinking of you, so keep us posted!

Merrill

I'm trying to get in to for an ultrasound via a coworker of mine--her best friend is a radiologist, so I called her on my way home from the doctor's appointment. Left her a message, so as soon as she calls back, I'll have at least half a clue about when. My local place is just okay--very small community hospital--but also a long wait. Anyway, my coworker friend owes me a medical favor :) I recently hooked her up with my wonderful neurologist who's been treating her migraines. She recently told me how happy she is that she went to him, so maybe I can get her to contact the radiologist directly to see if he can squeeze me in sometime sooner as opposed to later!

Nina

Dear Nina,

You are the most amazing self-advocate I have ever "met". Truly an inspiration to each of us to learn how to take pause, give a critical eye to the situation and take appropriate decisive action. While our stories are often so amazing, we each know first hand that we would have loved to have learned these life lessons reading about the trials of white lab rats, instead of the front row center seats we seem to have inherited season tickets.

Good thoughts your way and wishes that the pain passes quickly for you.

EM

nina,

please keep us posted! i do hope you find some relief from the pain soon. are you able/allowed to take any pain meds in the meantime??? pain sure puts me in a bad mood too! honestly, i am lucky in the pain dept. and have tremendous admiration for those who deal with it day in and day out...i don't know how you do it and not snap the heads off of everyone in site.

i am glad you vented here....b/c you spend so much time lifting others up on this site...it's out turn to lift you up and support you!

shoot, there was something i was going to say...and i just lost it...i will remember after i post i am sure.

so, until i remember the other reason i posted....

i really wanted most of all to send you hugs and support and let you know that i am thinking about you. i do hope you have answers soon....and relief from the pain!

thanks for keeping us laughing even through all of the pain!

later alligator!

emily

Nina,

I hope you get some relief from the pain and that they figure out what's wrong.

Is the ultra sound your getting trans vaginal ( think that's what it's called) ? I think that's supposed to better than the regular pelvic ultra sound. Anyhow I hope you feel better soon and get some answers as well.

I know how you feel about wanting to be able to go through a period of time without some body part acting up.

GayleP

Awe...you all really helped cheer me up... that and the percocet is making me sappy so after reading all these replies I got some happy tears and a tissue. Thanks :wub:

The 2nd percocet helped to make it tolerable right now, but unfortunately I'm one of those weirdos for whom percocet makes me very wakeful <_< So, I'll take awake and less pain... and try to catch on my zzz's as I can.

You all are the best. I really don't know what I'd do without this place--you people make up the best forum on the web, I'm certain.

oh yeah! gayle jogged my memory!

what i wanted to say is during times like you are going through right now i just wanted to know if there was anywhere we could trade our bodies in for new ones! :P

i think that would be good! i asked on monday at the dr. after my crazy weekend....but they said that they couldn't do that. :wub:

then, one of my best friends calls and says "what do you want for your birthday? i know you just said that you want a new body, but i can't get you that....so, what do you want instead?" bummer, huh?

anyway, just a little smile for ya! do you ever just feel like if it's not one thing it's another? <_<

emily

Grrr. Can't get an ultrasound until next Weds...

I'm feeling slightly better--as long as I don't move around too much. Thanks again for all your good wishes. :) Nina

Nina,

Keep on keeping on. Your an inspiration to us all. One thing I have learned from you is to keep my bitterness on the back burner. By doing this I have been able to be more productive and have developed a more positive attitude.

Believe me I can get craggely----when dealing with some of this ANS junk--sorry I had to make up a word that sounded like me when dealing with this cajangeld disorder------whoopes another made up word----LOL.

Hope you get relief from the pain soon! :)

Julie :0)

nina, so sorry you are in such misery. i have had a very long history with ovarian cysts and they can be so excruciating. i hope they get to the bottom, so to speak, of this soon. i used to call my pelvic pain exquisite, because that term seemed to fit. i find it amazing that someone can be in that much pain and a doc says oh yea, we'll squeeze you in for that u/s next year sometime. always compassionate. maybe he needs his testicle in a twist and then he can change his tune, a little more on the soprano side. :) morgan

My friend was asking me today what the pain feels like. I told her that it felt like someone had grabbed my cervix and was trying to drag it down to the center of the earth, while someone else stabbed me with a red hot poker just above my pelvic bone on the left side. She said "OH MY G-D!" and asked why I was at work...to which I said, "it still hurts at home too...at least I'm distracted here."

Yeah, I find it pretty disheartening sometimes about how much time lapses between when the problem is accute and when I can get certain tests done. Oh well. At least I have some pain killers to get me through 'til then. I've also found that the more physical activity I have, the more it hurts. Walking up and down the stairs is what I think really set off last night's misery.

Today I tried to limit my walking/standing and while everything still hurts, it's not as intense as last night. Nina

okay, I'm adding to this one...cause I sound pretty "craggedy" myself. I swear those steroids they gave me last week have made me very short tempered. It usually takes a lot to get me to this point and I really thing the ****** predinsone has lowered my threshold for what I can tolerate. Anyway, this started as me about to apologize for being so grumpy...and then I though about what Morgan said and thought, hey, if my radiologist had her suggested procedure, he'd be close to feeling this bad. Must add the hot poker to catch up (no emoiticon with devil horns, which should go here).

:) nina

Edited by MightyMouse

Like I said before, you folks are the absolute best :P

I'm about the same today as I was yesterday...except now I'm spotting. ?? Not sure what that's about other than perhaps my uterus is angry about all the fussing the doctor did with it :unsure:

Despite everything, I'm going out to dinner tonight and planning on having a good time. We're staying overnight in Philly too, so if I feel awful at dinner, I can just go to my hotel room and sleep. :D

Have a nice weekend everyone. Wish I could find better words to let you know how much you are all appreciated!

Nina