A Pleasant Subject

seb10

Hey All,

Lately, every few weeks or so, I get moments where I feel incredibly queasy and either throw up a number of times or dry heave. Fairly soon afterwards, I feel OK -- so it doesn't seem like a stomach bug or anything. But I feel awful before, during, and after.

This is all new to me and I wanted to see if this is POTS related or if anyone else experiences this?

Thanks all, be well.

Hey All,

Lately, every few weeks or so, I get moments where I feel incredibly queasy and either throw up a number of times or dry heave. Fairly soon afterwards, I feel OK -- so it doesn't seem like a stomach bug or anything. But I feel awful before, during, and after.

This is all new to me and I wanted to see if this is POTS related or if anyone else experiences this?

Thanks all, be well.

I haven't actually thrown up yet, but I do get really bad episodes of nausea that are accompanied by dry heaving. I have had this ever since I became sick. It was the worst symptom I had for the first year of being sick.

Candace

Hi,

I have had similar symptoms before. Primarily it was in high school when I had this problem (part of the time I did have upper resp. infection with a lot of drainage that caused a lot of the issue). I would be nausous all the time for weeks, unable to eat more than a bite here and there, then would have a day everyonce and a while that I would end up spending the whole day on the disgusting high school bathroom floor. Teachers thought I was making it up, to anxious etc... Looking back I think it was a combo of the resp. infection, appendectomy freshman year (this vomiting was more junior/senior yr), and it was always worse in the rooms that were too HOT!

I had a period in grad school again when my POTS was undiagnosed and not treated that I would get dry heaves any time I was in a classroom etc. that was too warm. One in particular was awful, I missed almost every class running back and forth to the bathroom. It was like a sauna! Something I also found that was agravating this symptoms for me was hot drinks (in particular hot tea). Hot drinks set off a internal thermoregulation nightmare and make me super nausous, but don't normally vomit. And it would last all day even after just a few sips. Cymbalta has recently lessened this a lot for me, but it is still there.

Also, you may want to check out Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/cvs/index.htm

:)

Thanks so much for the response guys -- I had another short bout of that today and it's just really disconcerting because I'm not entirely sure what's going on.

It makes sense tho, with the ANS controlling digestion, that sometimes my body just might have trouble with stuff. In addition, I live in a climate where it's freezing one day and then 70+ degrees the next, so maybe my body is having trouble adjusting to the temp fluctuations.

Thanks again all, this certainly helps ease some concerns for the time being. I'll be sure to read up some more on everything!

Be well!

Sarah

in short - based on my own experience as well as what i've seen others expeience over the years - i'd say that folks with dysautonomia experience various degrees of nausea &/or vomiting related to one or both of two things. the first is more systemic, often correlates with the severity of one's overall symptoms, can correspond with orthostatic symptoms, etc. the second is a more concrete/ tangible motility disorder, i.e. gastroparesis. some folks definitely have both and both can and very often are directly related to autonomic dysfunction/ neuropathy. unofficially i would "place" cyclical vomiting under the first of my two "categories" for what it's worth.

i've written at length (in replies to other posts) about nausea/ vomiting issues in the past so will try to recall & then find those ramblings in case they might be helpful to you (or anyone else).

hang in there!

B) melissa

me again:-)

first of all, in my initial reply (under this thread, that is) i failed to offer my own personal empathy/ sympathy/ understand. do know that i most definitely have PLENTY to offer in the arena of nausea/ vomiting/ GI issues & certainly feel for anyone dealing with any or all of the above to any degree. it's something i deal with daily to some degree & have for years; i'm on gastric drainage now 24/ 7 which has helped tons but it's still a major issue for me that - in addition to my inability to be upright for any "normal" length - is definitely my most disabling & life-altering issue.

that said, i did ramble on quite a bit in a post recently so will post the direct link to that here. it's framed in the context of weight loss & nausea rather than nausea/ vomiting/ dry-heaves but it's all related as far as i'm concerned. by no means do all with some of the issue have all (i.e. not everyone has weight loss) but my ramblings are meant to cover all of the above. my long/ detailed post is in the middle of the second page of the post. here's the link: Possible reasons for nausea, vomiting/ dry heaves, weight loss, GI pain/ upset, etc. (esp. in those w/ dysautonomia)

hope this helps,

B) melissa