Wow! I Had An Interesting Dr. Appmt!!!

ajw4790

Hi everyone!

I had an appmt. with the allergist today. Of course I had a big "adrenaline" day yesterday, and couldn't sleep until about the time I had to get up for the appmt. (don't you love when that happens!? :lol:). So, I got up and got around as much as I could, I did eat string cheese and almonds before I went, and didn't take my medicine so they can see me as is... :( (I have been taking it about the time of the appmt anyways).

Sooo... they made me sit FOREVER (a total of around 1.5 hours) in a hot, stuffy, overly florescent treatment room. First, I was just very uncomfortable... I opened the door to allow more air in, and then I turned the lights out (they thought I was REALLY weird!!!). But, after having to sit so long in that environment with not taking my meds I went downhill... FINALLY, I was leaning up on the door frame, and asked one of the nurses that went by where my dr. was (really behind I guess! :P), and told her I felt like I was about to pass out due to the heat etc...

I was impressed in that she actually LISTENED, paged the dr. and checked to her status, and helped me lay down. They checked my BP, HR, pulse ox, and glucose. They also stole the dr I was seeings resident away from her to come in and see me (all within 5 minutes!!!). I was just impressed after being blown off so many times before that they actually listened and cared!!! :) The one thing was is this dr just showed up while I felt cruddy and laying down and didn't introduce himself, and just started asking me every question under the sun. I just kept thinking I know you aren't the dr. and I really don't want to have to repeat all this later... 30 minutes later after asking I then realized that he works with the dr. I was seeing. Good to know who I am giving my life story to!!!... :)

Get this... they both knew what POTS is!!! AND what MCAD is!!! AND how they are related (including all the research out there!!!)!!!! :):o

At first I had figured probably the best that will come of this appmt. is plenty of frustration and maybe testing to see if I am allergic to anything. I thought if I was lucky they would hear me out and let me ask if they thought the MCAD direction should be looked into, and that they would boohoo me. BUT, they knew about it already, took a pretty good history etc., seemed to think it warranted testing, and they did order the preliminary testing for MCAD etc...

So, although it wore me out, it was a pretty good appmt!!! I am impressed that they knew about both diagnoses, their treatment, research, etc.!!!

Now I just wait until the tests come back...

I guess I don't have any questions about this, but I had to share my dr. appmt. experience. FINALLY, one that is more positive than negative!!! Wahoo!!! :)

:)

YAY!!! :) I am so happy for you! I'm sorry you had such a hard time there at first, but what a great turn out!!!! I hope you get some really good answers!!

So, can you share who and where these doctors are?? I would love to find a doctor that knew about both. I am already considering traveling far right now.

So happy for you!

Suzy

Hi again!

They are here in OH. PM me if you are interested in more info. :P

I decided I actually do have a question! :lol:

How do you deal with overly hot and stuffy exam rooms??? I don't want to seem to weird or like I am trying to be dramatic, but at the same time I hate being in outer space trying to stay upright by the time they finally get to the room. (then of course I forget everything and just want to get out of there!) :)

I do dress in layers (no amount of layers would have helped me today). I also bring cold water (drank it all half way into waiting today). Have learned to look for a thermostat in the room (they didn't have one). Also, learned to say something in case they can adjust it (also not helpful today). Started to fan myself with whatever I could find in the dark, door open room. I also tried to make a cold water paper towel (but water was not cold at all)... I also kept getting up, moving around, and doing countermanuevers.

What are your secrets to long waits in a hot and stuffy exam room?

WOWEEE!! I don't know what is more amazing that you had 2 docs who BELIEVED you..and knew what you were going through.. OR.. that YOU made it through this ordeal!!

Good for you !! AND these are allergests..again.. amazing.

Jan

Hi again!

They are here in OH. PM me if you are interested in more info. :)

I decided I actually do have a question! B)

How do you deal with overly hot and stuffy exam rooms??? I don't want to seem to weird or like I am trying to be dramatic, but at the same time I hate being in outer space trying to stay upright by the time they finally get to the room. (then of course I forget everything and just want to get out of there!) :blink:

I do dress in layers (no amount of layers would have helped me today). I also bring cold water (drank it all half way into waiting today). Have learned to look for a thermostat in the room (they didn't have one). Also, learned to say something in case they can adjust it (also not helpful today). Started to fan myself with whatever I could find in the dark, door open room. I also tried to make a cold water paper towel (but water was not cold at all)... I also kept getting up, moving around, and doing countermanuevers.

What are your secrets to long waits in a hot and stuffy exam room?

That's an easy question as I have a first-time office visit with a new internal medicine doctor about 12 hours from now. My advice is, let someone on the staff know ahead of time about your needs and difficulties. On one occasion where the doctor took an unusually long time, and I knew it, I told the receptionist I would be out in the car (I reclined there), and they could call me on my cell phone when they were ready. In another, I walked out of the doctor's office and down the hall to recline on a bench by the elevators. In other appointments, I had asked to be put in a room where I could recline while I was waiting.

I am now at a point in my life (and in my disability), where I speak up before I get to the point where I'm going to pass out. You are the patient with the problems and you have very right to be heard to prevent a scene at the doctors' offices. Just my two cents worth.

I'm thrilled about the knowledge of your doctors and I hope you get some real insight and help!

GOOD LUCK.

Stuffy rooms bring, hand fan, battery operated, hand held, and lots of Gatorade.

wear layers of clothes. If your appoint is in a hospital have them wheel chair you to your appointment.

Conserve you energy as much as you can, we have to do what were we have to do :blink:

even if we get funny looks from others, I just try to educate them

when they ask silly questions about my crutch or that blank stare comes over my face. B)

Sometimes even a hard candy in your mouth with a strong flavor helps to distract your mind.