Midodrine Side Effects

potsgirl

Hola Everyone~

I started Midodrine about 3 weeks ago, at a low dose of 2.5 mg, 3 times a day. I have been on 5 mg, 2 times a day for the last two weeks. I seem to be gradually putting on weight, although I'm eating the same number of calories and exercising the same amount. Is this basically water weight? Do others have this problem? How much was gained? I've put on about 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks, which is fine, but I don't want to gain too much!

Thanks,

jana

Hi Jana,

Midodrine is unlikely to cause weight gain. It actually does not cause fluid retention, so you shouldn't be gaining water weight. If you continue to gain weight on it, you should mention it to your doctor.

I don't have any personal experience with it; this is just my pharmacy knowledge talking. But, everyone does respond differently to medications, so regardless of my formal education, I wouldn't ever say that a certain side effect is impossible from any medication.

Hope that helps.

~ Broken_Shell :angry:

Hi Jana,

I just got off midodrine I was one of the small percent of people who had to take it at bedtime. I felt like it took my brain away and when I knew I had a real problem I asked to be taken off it. I decided I would rather test my BP and overload with salt. Maybe it's just my opinion, but all the BP med's make me have no brain. Also the migraines were so bad and I felt like I had a hang over. I did put on weight, but I had also increased my fluids with gallons of Gatorade and a weekly hospital infusion. I'm swelling up all the time now, as my rings won't fit. I never used salt before, worked in the water only thing missing was the salt.

Good Luck I hope it works for you!

~blessings and love to all~

BellaMia

Broken_Shell: Thank you for the pharmaceutical information. It put my mind at ease. It must be all the salt I've been trying to eat lately.

BellaMia: That's exactly how I feel on Midodrine. I get very bad headaches, vision problems, anxiety, and brain fog. I only made it to a 5 mg dose twice a day because I go to bed so early, and absolutely cannot stand the 7.5 mg dose. I don't tolerate Florinef well, either. Do either of you take Florinef?

Thanks again,

Jana

I used to take Florinef, but it was spiking my BP really high. :) I've gone from one extreme to the other. but get low evening, night, early morning and if i can't get out of bed. I knew I had a problem for years before dx. when I would wake fall see flashing lights, would be written off as side effects for other meds.

I also would salt overload in morning before going back on these meds. the thing that happens to me is the hungry horrors in the middle of the night. I'm suppose to be checking my blood sugar levels then but when my BP is low, I'm on auto mode to the fridge and BP MONITOR. I believe there's a relationship between the two.

My new little song is, "If I Only Had A Brain." LOL, it's really not funny. Some of my friends in menopause are just as bad so what is what? I just have to joke about it and write everything down these days, and play charades with people when I'm having a conversation. I'm quite comical. :):D the life of a party.