How Do You All Deal With Pain? What Meds Work Best

They just started me on cardiac rehab yesterday. I got a headache during it. I had such bad pain last nite I couldn't sleep. It feels like that lactic acidy pain you get in your muscles after a work out.

I had it from head to toe, just throbbing away.

I don't know what to take for it. So many pain meds mess with your digestion and cause other problems.

So what's working for you all?

Been there, done that! My headache spikes with any exertion. Look under a post about "pilates: my doctor is trying to kill me..."

The ONLY drug that has helped is one I don't recommend: Klonopin. Very addictive.

Actually, the more you do, the better it gets, just anticipate feeling like poo for several days after. I don't hurt all over like I did then, but it has been 4 months.

Been there, done that! My headache spikes with any exertion. Look under a post about "pilates: my doctor is trying to kill me..."

The ONLY drug that has helped is one I don't recommend: Klonopin. Very addictive.

Actually, the more you do, the better it gets, just anticipate feeling like poo for several days after. I don't hurt all over like I did then, but it has been 4 months.

Thanks for responding. A pain doc put me on a klonopin patch, then I got adhesive welts, so switched me to the pills. Oh my god it was awful. My body just kept wanting more and more and my hypertension got worse and worse. Getting off it was a nightmare. I'll never take that again, it took months to recover. I was never told it could be addictive.

I know it probably doesn't exist, but a pain medication that works and doesn't mess with your digestive track, BP and heart rate would be great.

I will continue to give the rehab a chance, and hope the pain gets better. I'm glad that it is finally helping you. Already feel like poo, not looking forward to having more of it.

How long before you noticed it subsiding?

Hi!

I'm from Arizona too! I have all over body pain constantly 24 hours a day, but I can't take anything for it. Some days I can't walk for the pain, and when I get up I look like a 80 year old! I have migrains too. I wish I could say I have good advice, but I can say I sypathise. The things I do, do that help are I stretch a lot to try and relax my muscles, I listen to relaxing music to try and get my mind off of it, and I try not to over do it, which sadly it's only 9:30, and I have already gone over that limit. :) I hope you find something that will help you...Also...potsgirl has started up a group here in Arizona so we can meet. We haven't gotten the first date down yet, so if you are interested here is the post. http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtop...t+group+arizona I hope you get feeling better real soon!

Suzy

I know it probably doesn't exist, but a pain medication that works and doesn't mess with your digestive track, BP and heart rate would be great.

Now that I think of it, have you tried Lyrica? My neuro tried me on it, but it's action was too short for me. Watch your electrolytes and tank up on the gatorade before and after your workouts, dehydration is really bad for cramps and exercise will mess with your sodium/potassium balance.

I don't have great answers, just what I do in order to get by. I have a large rice pack that you can heat in the microwave and I'll lay on it so it covers my whole back. Then I try to really stretch my back, hips, and even got my hubby to help with the hip stretches last night. I go to PT for my back pain, and she does chiropractic-like adjustment with myofacial release. I'm often very sore for several days afterward, but it mostly feels like the sore muscles/lactic acid you described. Advil is a must. I can take a 1/2 a vicodin without much constipation, and I add a benadryl because it seems to help sometimes too (it makes me drowsy especially in conjunction with vicodin but when you hurt badly enough, oh well). Otherwise, if my neuropathy pain is really flared I just take vicodin as needed (with advil and benadryl), and I have some enemas on hand because I'll probably need them. :) .

I also try to not lay around too much (so hard to do) because that seems to make my muscles even tighter faster. I hope you find a solution, Janie

Hi!

I'm from Arizona too! I have all over body pain constantly 24 hours a day, but I can't take anything for it. Some days I can't walk for the pain, and when I get up I look like a 80 year old! I have migrains too. I wish I could say I have good advice, but I can say I sypathise. The things I do, do that help are I stretch a lot to try and relax my muscles, I listen to relaxing music to try and get my mind off of it, and I try not to over do it, which sadly it's only 9:30, and I have already gone over that limit. :) I hope you find something that will help you...Also...potsgirl has started up a group here in Arizona so we can meet. We haven't gotten the first date down yet, so if you are interested here is the post. http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtop...t+group+arizona I hope you get feeling better real soon!

Suzy

Well I live in the south chandler area, about an hour out from tucson. What part of az you in? If there are more arizonan's it would be great to have a support group here.

What do you do for doctor's. Though I may have a doc here now that I can work with, I was told there weren't any Pots doctor's in arizona by a neurologist and mayo.

There are days I feel 80, my silver lining is the PCOS I have makes me look young for my age. I don't get to many headaches, but I did with the exercise yesterday. The muscle soreness and fatigue get to me more. I'm not working but I'm not house bound. It can be a bit lonely during the week when everyone's working. I don't have kids, so I don't really fit into the mom's groups or the retired ladies groups. I've lived here since 72, so I do have friends and family, just nobody close to where I now live during the week. Thanks for your thoughts. I'm a search for solutions, so if I do finds something that helps I'll let you know.

Hi,

I'll send you a PM...

Suzy

Hi Arizona Girl,

I think Suzy is already sending you an email, but there is a group of about 6 of us in central Arizona that are trying to form a support group. Shoot me a personal message (click on my 'potsgirl' name in upper left-hand corner) and we can talk more...Great to have another Arizonan! I'm from Tucson...

potsgirl

Ibuprofen usually works for headaches for me. Sometimes I take ibuprofen and tylenol.

When I get the all over body aches that go along with my fevers, the meds don't usually touch that. The "end of the day" pain that I get in my legs after too much time spent upright can't be fixed by pain meds either.

I have taken lyrica in the past for buring/tingling pain in my feet (neuropathy). It worked very well, but the side effects were not something I could tolerate.

Rest works for joint and ligament pain for me.

I hope you can find something that helps to alleviate your pain.

Rachel

Hi Arizona Girl,

I think Suzy is already sending you an email, but there is a group of about 6 of us in central Arizona that are trying to form a support group. Shoot me a personal message (click on my 'potsgirl' name in upper left-hand corner) and we can talk more...Great to have another Arizonan! I'm from Tucson...

potsgirl

Hi potsgirl,

Yes, suzy and I have been pming. However pm is down today so I can't, pm you. She does have an appt coming up in scottsdale in May, maybe we could pull something together then. It would be great to start a group here. I'm in south chandler. Thanks for contacting me :(

Hi from another Arizonian (Gold Canyon).

I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and it all started with classic dysautonomia symptoms over 2 years ago. In fact fibro (or FMS) often presents with dysautonomia and many, many people with dys are actually in the early stages of either FMS or chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and not properly diagnosed. My initial symptoms were POTS and I had no pain issues at first. The pain, brain fog, sleep disorders and other symptoms came along later.

I suggest that if you have pain, brainfog or other major cognitive dysfunction, fragmented sleep, overwhelming fatigue, IBS or other bowel dysfunction associated with your dys that you seek out a good rheumatologist to be evaluated for FMS. Do a search on autonomic dysfunction and fibromyalgia and research to see if this seems to pertain to you. There is a whole lot of research and many peer-reviewed publications on how FMS is actually a result of ANS dysfunction and overactive sympathetic activity.

I am currently getting ready to try a new treatment called Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN). It is being used to treat FMS and many other diseases that seem to be caused by dysfunction of the immune system. It acts as an immune system modulator by binding with the opiate receptors and allowing for an increased production of endorphins. Do a search on it if it interests you. There is a study currently underway at Stanford and preliminary results seem promisingl Otherwise the meds for pain are pretty much currently Lyrica, Cymbalta, and other SSRIs, as well as narcotic meds (which I avoid for all the obvious reasons).