Three Sheets To The Wind

I feel bad that I can?t do more around the house. My husband takes care of everything from laundry to yard work and my contribution if any seems paltry. It was one of those mornings where my system was behaving as best as can be expected and I looked at the load of bed linens to be washed and thought ?I can do that!?

What takes a person who is not orthostatic-challenged minutes, becomes an entire morning undertaking for someone with Dysautonomia ? and that?s on a GOOD DAY! Fortunately today was a good day and I could make this token contribution to the homestead.

The first step was taking the light load of laundry down the steps and into the laundry room. I had to plan out my every move in order not to exhaust myself coming out of the starting gate. So I divided this first task into two parts. Part one was taking the basket down from the top of the stairs (where it had been dutifully waiting for the last several days) to the bottom of the stairs. Once at its layover, I could crouch on top of a low stool in the morning sunlight near an open window in our living room to rest up for the second leg of the journey.

I sipped some cold milk and nibbled on half of a rice cake with soynut butter that my husband had prepared for me the night before. Then I dutifully waited 30 minutes for the high point of the postpranial hypotension to begin to wane. My dogs sat by my side enjoying the light breeze from the screened window.

Rested and ready for step two, I picked up the laundry basket and carried it into the laundry room ? all of 25 feet away. Since I was washing only two sheets and one light cotton duvet cover, plus a handful of pillow cases, I didn?t need to stand at the washer long at all to fill the load, press a button and pour a tablespoon of the homemade detergent we use as part of our live green (and have dull clothes) campaign.

Then it was back to the stool in the living room, to crouch and meditate as I rested again for what would be the high point of the laundry chore ? hanging the sheets on the line!

Thirty minutes more went by and I felt once again that I could meander around a bit, so I took a few deep breaths and headed over to the washing machine. I braced the clothes on my back and leaned forward to balance the weight, still maintaining a crouch as I walked which seemed to help as a countermanauver. Once outside, I placed the basket on a lawn chair and again resumed my crouch atop of yet another bar stool in our backyard.

My heart monitor was zipping around 130+ from all the activity. So I rested for a few more minutes as I contemplated my next move. I would have to have a plan in order to get a sheet from the basket and up onto the clothesline, which would involve taking about six steps and lifting my hands above my head.

I decided to carefully fold the sheet like an accordion lengthwise and then in half. Taking my origami wet sheet in hand I walked over to the line and in once graceful motion swung the linen up and over the top of the line. All that was needed to do then was take one edge of the sheet and walk it down the line to unfold it into a single layer as I made my way back to crouch atop of the bar stool.

Phew! Thirty seconds of well planned and flawless sheet hanging execution. Then the waiting game starts all over again. I realized there was about 3 to 4 minutes of settling that had to happen in between each sheet. Plenty of time to contemplate more efficiencies ? and to write this how-to-humor in my mind.

Deep bow of thanks for letting my share my laundry success story for the day!!

~EM

Hi!

I am glad that you made it. Thank you for making me smile :( . It is crazy how we break activities down until they can't possibly be broken down anymore!

Here's to living life in our awful, unfair state of dysautonomia while maintaining a sense of humor!

~ Broken_Shell :)

What takes a person who is not orthostatic-challenged minutes, becomes an entire morning undertaking for someone with Dysautonomia ? and that?s on a GOOD DAY! Fortunately today was a good day and I could make this token contribution to the homestead.~EM

EM,

Thanks for sharing your story! I felt like I was doing laundry with you step by step! I can sure relate to the careful planning it takes to do chores like that.

I wish I had suggestions for you. I live in a one-level house, which is wonderful. We have hardwoods and a laundry cart that my hubby loads and then I can lean on it as I go to the laundry room (aka the garage). It's usually nice and cool in there which helps me vasoconstrict and gives me a boost. Often, I leave the folding til the next day when I have more energy. Ironing? Hah!

Sleep well in your fresh sheets, Janie

Wow! Congrats on the great preparation and execution of your laundry! And the description made it really easy to see where you are coming from. I can never prepare that well AND have it go as planned! :P

As far as doing laundry goes... I live in a 2nd floor apt. with no laundry facilities. SO... I (once a month or so- sad, I know! :P ) have to carry it all down the stairs and load it in the car. I could take it to a laundrymat etc., but because of the sitting/waiting/heat etc. I REALLY prefer not to... So, I take home to my parents house to do it. So, I have to carry it all inside (normally have help :) ) and I work on it over a week or so. I just do the norm wash (top load) and dryer. I can't stand the heat the dryer puts out, or all the bending, standing, lifting, and carrying, so it tends to take a while or REALLY wear me out or both... :) I really don't like standing to hang up clothes, so that tends to be last and sometimes I never get to it. When I do it is in my bedroom and not the laundry room. Sometimes things get folded, sometimes things just get worn/used from the basket.

I seriously dislike laundry!!!! :( (and DISHES!!!) :)

:)

Earthmother~

You are indeed a great storyteller. You also made my day a little brighter because on my good days I can actually do a couple of loads of laundry. Granted, my boyfriend carries the basket for me and puts it on top of the dryer, but as long as I'm not washing sheets or towels (which when wet can totally wear me out trying to untangle and get them out of the washer to the dryer), I can manage some light loads. Of course I sit down while folding.

The stairs are extremely difficult. I find it odd that I can walk on a treadmill for 20 minutes at a slow pace, but by the time I get upstairs (a whopping 15 steps) I'm totally out of breath and it takes me several minutes to catch it again. What a disease, huh?

Thanks for sharing your story!

Peace,

potsgirl