Advice Please-really Sick This Am

Hi all,

I am REALLY sick this morning. I would say I have the stomack flu but, this is typical for me on really bad days. I have come so close to going to the hospital but, always feel so stupid that I don't go.

This morning I am VERY dizzy, extremely nausous, pale and HR stays in 80 and 90 even when sitting(jumping way up when doing anything else). I feel like I am dying (I am sure you can relate). Would you go to the hospital or wait it out?

Hi Kimi,

Do you have a primary care doctor who you can call? Even though it is the dysautonomia, my internist put me in the hospital as an inpatient twice in the past year when things were really bad just so I could get some IV fluids and let my GI tract rest and settle itself down. Can you keep down Pedialyte? If you are really getting weak and dehydrated, then maybe someone can at least take you to urgent care or the ER to get some fliuds and IV nausea medication if your PCP or the doctor managing your dysautonomia can't or won't. Hang in there... I'll keep you in my thoughts.

~ Broken_Shell :blink:

Thank you both. I have been able to get down 3 glasses of water and some salty popcorn. I am feeling better while sitting. I will keep up the fluids and try broth.

My primary care and cardiologist are both supportive of my going to the hospital, I just don't want to go! I beleive it must be the dehydration and trying to do WAY to much yesterday. Its so nice to have someone to talk too, I don't feel so alone or crazy :blink:

Hi Kimi,

I am SO sorry that you feel this way...you sound like me yesterday evening. I hadn't been feeling well all day so I just layed in bed, but it got worse and worse. I felt like I was just going to die. It felt as if my body was shutting down. I knew I needed some fluids and salty foods but I was so nauseas that I was scared to put anything in me otherwise I'd throw up. I went downstairs to sit at the dinner table with my family because I was too scared to be upstairs alone. I actually got up from the table and put my shoes on and put my pocketbook by the door just in case I decided to go to the ER. Every time I get sick it is just as scary as the first time, and I always feel like if I go to the ER at least I will be there if something happens. Trut his, after over 20 ER visits, they don't make me feel any better and I end up sitting there for hours and hours. So I decided to keep myself calm, took a Xanex, and I signed onto the Dinet forum to keep my mind off of it. Surely enough, it passed :blink: I didn't feel great last night and don't feel well today either...but am proud that I didn't secum to calling 911 like I normally do. HANG IN THERE. I am online if you want to IM me...hotpynkmmm.

Michele

Dysautonomia symptoms can make us feel absolutely awful. Even though we feel awful, in most cases the symptoms are not life threatening and an ER visit is not necessary. If the symptoms you are dealing with are normal for you, then it is probably okay to stay home. Rest, Gatorade, fluids, and salt can help a lot.

There was recently a topic called What Warrants an ER Visit. Reading through this may be helpful for you in deciding when/if to go to the ER. Melissa/Sunfish wrote an especially helpful reply within that topic.

If your nausea is severe you may find that peppermint tea and/or ginger root capsules are helpful.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Rachel

Every time i feel the need to go to ER i try to hang on a bit forthe feeling to pass.

Its hard. But its worth it as I know how useless ER can be for me. Ive only been a few times, maybe 4 or 5 and 2 of those times was the weekend i got ill (came down with POTS...)

I had this preconcieved notion (before getting sick) that sick people go to the ER and get better, or get admitted to hospital and get better....or get admitted to hospital and they find out whats wrong with them (like on the tv show HOUSE!)

Unfortunatley through first hand experience I have realised this is incorrect.

My ER visits go like this: blood check, ECG, saline drip, maybe hooked up to a monitor if tachy. They all check out ok and my HR ussually stables to around 100 after a few hours and then i am sent home.

I hate going there and will now avoid it as best i can. But i know what it feels like to be so scared of your symptoms and just wanting relief. Its a tough one.....but try to hang in there untill the feeling passes. Try and remember times that youve felt as bad and the fact that you pulled through ....you made it. Try let these times comfort you.

Thank you all so much. I am feeling much better tonight and was able to eat dinner. I haven't gone to the ER for any of my "episodes" yet. I realize that there isn't anything they can do but, its so tempting when you feel like death warmed over.

You guys got me through it today....this is the best ER out there!