Toprol/metoprolol Drug Shortage

calypso

Hi everyone,

I went to pick up my Rx refill of Toprol XL 25 mg, which I have been taking since my POTS began, and apparently there is a worldwide shortage of this drug. So my cardiologist called in atenolol 12.5 mg. I am wondering if anyone here has had their Rx replaced with atenolol and if so, did it seem to work the same? I am supposed to start taking it tomorrow.

Hi everyone,

I went to pick up my Rx refill of Toprol XL 25 mg, which I have been taking since my POTS began, and apparently there is a worldwide shortage of this drug. So my cardiologist called in atenolol 12.5 mg. I am wondering if anyone here has had their Rx replaced with atenolol and if so, did it seem to work the same? I am supposed to start taking it tomorrow.

Yes, my mail order pharmacy sent me a letter a couple of months back that there was a FDA recall on metoprolol ER and nobody could get it. So, I got an appt. with my cardiologist for this coming Monday to talk about changing meds. Yesterday in the mail I got a letter from my mail order pharmacy (express scripts) that said they are now carrying brand name Toprol XL and they have enough in stock for everyone who was taking metoprolol ER, but that I would need to go to my Dr. to get a new RX for brand name Toprol XL and they would fill it. I am very relieved because for a year I have taken metoprolol ER and it works for me. I wasnt looking forward to a new drug. Check with again with a few pharmacies and see about the brand name.

The recall was back in late Jan. and I believe the recall was only on the generic Toprol. You should be fine now as long as you get the brand name. You may need to have your Dr write a new script for "Brand Necessary" so that your insurance will cover it.

As for atenelol.....I was on that for a long time and did well with Brand name but had to take twice as much of the generic to get the same benefit and even then....the brand name still worked much better.