Hair Color

jenwic

I had this happen to me even with pulling it through a cap. Like you I felt like if it didn’t touch my scalp I would be fine. I even had it on for quite some time before it happened but my reaction was so severe I will never use hair color again. I got the burning heat on my scalp. I instantly had to have a bm. I started rinsing and too late it had already hit my system. This was my first incident of feeling like I was in a fib. I could not move nothing I was plastered to the bathroom floor. I did not feel right for hours after. I felt so foolish for risking my life that way. It really felt like I could go into a heart attack or cardiac arrest the way my heart was beating. That night when I went to bed I felt like I had run a marathon. No more hair color for me ever. 

• 2 years later...

Wow thank you all for sharing. It is helpful to have something to show my docs I am not the first. I have colored my hair hundreds of times... from black to red to blonde to bleaching. No special precautions. That said, my heart related symptoms didn't really start until 2013, after a virus.

Today I did a custom color blend, 3rd time using it. While waiting, my heart rate went to 137. I sat down and got it down a little but it did not fall until I rinsed it out in the shower. My hr then was lower at that point than sitting with it on.

I definitely have a funky immune system, and have had all kinds of weird reactions but this was so different. 

Henna is super messy but thats my plan. Definitely don't want to do this again.

12 hours ago, Platypus said:

Wow thank you all for sharing. It is helpful to have something to show my docs I am not the first. I have colored my hair hundreds of times... from black to red to blonde to bleaching. No special precautions. That said, my heart related symptoms didn't really start until 2013, after a virus.

Today I did a custom color blend, 3rd time using it. While waiting, my heart rate went to 137. I sat down and got it down a little but it did not fall until I rinsed it out in the shower. My hr then was lower at that point than sitting with it on.

I definitely have a funky immune system, and have had all kinds of weird reactions but this was so different. 

Henna is super messy but thats my plan. Definitely don't want to do this again.

You can check with your doctor, but if you've done something a few times before and didn't have a reaction, it could just be the activity of applying the color lifting arms above the head, etc. that caused the symptoms.   Sometimes when we are in a flare, this happens.

• 1 year later...

I’ve had pots for years and never had any issues doing anything to my hair This started happening to me recently once they applied beach for highlights my heart starts racing as soon as they rinse starts coming back down I don’t know what to do even the redken eq shades toner it’s doing the same 

Over 20 years ago my doctors told me no more hair color, nails, makeup, or scented products… lotions, perfume, cleaning products… I was fine up till my mid 20s then bam these all started causing me trouble. They still are not sure if it is pot/ncs, MCAS, regular allergies but if I try doing or using these things I pay in a huge way, just not worth it.