Going Red After Eating!!!!

anna

Do a search of mast cell activation syndrome or MCAD on this site. It is ONE of the causes of POTS. A flushed face can be indicative of MCAD.

Hi,

Yes... I often have this problem, especially when I am having a "bad" autonomic day. Eating makes me get flushed (usually just the right ear and right side of my face). I usually get very dizzy when eating when this occurs, and I am feel very woozy and "out of it".

If this seems to happen following a certain food, then you may also want to investigate the possibility of a food allergy.

Hope that helps!

~ Broken_Shell :)

Hi,

I get flushing too. I do get it after eating, especially if I have eaten sitting up. And like you said it is worse if I am already feeling bad. But I also have a positive test for the MCAD. Like Mack's mom said do a search on this. I hope this helps.

Suzy

Hi,

Yes... I often have this problem, especially when I am having a "bad" autonomic day. Eating makes me get flushed (usually just the right ear and right side of my face). I usually get very dizzy when eating when this occurs, and I am feel very woozy and "out of it".

If this seems to happen following a certain food, then you may also want to investigate the possibility of a food allergy.

Hope that helps!

~ Broken_Shell :)

Broken Shell-

Google Horner's Syndrome. It is quite rare to flush only on one side of your face. What does your neurologist say about this?

Julie

hi all,

I have been looking into the mast cell thing, not sure whether my daughters paed. will want to look into this one!!

But I will talk to her soon as kids have a reveiw soon. Thanks again for your input guys.

Anna

The feeling of being "out of it" after eating is a symptom I get all the time. It's worse if I eat a big meal, and if I have a lot of carbs. Try to do smaller meals and see if it makes a difference.

From what I've heard from doctors, the cause of this is postprandial hypotension, or a drop in BP upon eating. Blood is diverted to our gut for digestion, leaving it to "pool" in the digestive tract/essentially away from our brains, which accounts for the feeling dizzy or woozy, or worn out/tired/sleepy.

Here's an excerpt from merck.com:

"Postprandial hypotension is an excessive decrease in blood pressure that occurs after a meal.

* Dizziness, light-headedness, and falls may occur.

* Doctors measure blood pressure before and after a meal to diagnose postprandial hypertension.

* Eating small, low-carbohydrate meals frequently may help.

Postprandial hypotension occurs in up to one third of older people but virtually never occurs in younger people. It is more likely to occur in people who have high blood pressure or disorders that impair the brain centers controlling the autonomic nervous system (which regulates internal body processes). Examples of such disorders are Parkinson's disease, multiple system atrophy (Shy-Drager syndrome), and diabetes.

The intestine requires a large amount of blood for digestion. When blood flows to the intestine after a meal, the heart rate increases and blood vessels in other parts of the body constrict to help maintain blood pressure."

Not sure about the flushing...that could be because her body is trying to regulate that blood flow that is being diverted to her gut & so it further exacerbates her other POTS symptoms & she appears flushed out of fatigue from the whole process? Has her POTS doctor talked with you/her about postpranidal hyptotension? That may be something to bring up. It wasn't brought up to me so much, but I started noticing that I would feel sooo incredibly tired/out of it after meals. I feel better when I have more protein than anything else, and carbs definitely make the "tired" feeling a lot worse.

Let me know if this could be part of the problem or sounds like it?? Hope this helps!

Chrissy :blink:

Hello chrissy,

I have been trying to keep an eye on my daughter when she eats and have noticed that she goes red and hot most times when she eats now, but her bp is not always that low, infact some times it goes a little high. So not sure what is going on here. But I will be bringing it up her paed. next month, see if she might be able to shed some light on the matter!!

Thank for your input,

Anna