Appointment With Doctor For My Pension Renewal

Ernie

Hi,

I have an appointment with the doctor who works for the government to decide if I am still invalid. This is the first time I have that kind of appointment. I don't know what to expect, what to say and what to do.

Do any of you have any experience or advice?

Thanks

You can PM me if you prefer.

I get disability payments through my long-term disability insurer and they find me more convincing when I'm regularly visiting doctors who will validate my limitations in writing (and bring those statements). It helps to be as clear and specific as possible when describing your limitations such as whenever I stand up I get dizzy, shaky, nauseated etc., blood pressure drops, and to have as many tests results that document abnormal function (low BP, tachycardia, etc.). Putting your disease into the context of everyday activities helps, like saying how you you a shower chair and often need a person's assistance getting out of the shower because of the dizziness caused by venous pooling (just an example). It might be helpful to bring someone with you who will validate your limitations. Also, bring your assistive devices and explain why you need to use them on a regular basis.

Good luck!

Hi Ernie,

I'm guessing that you're talking about a disability pension. I don't get one but I did recently apply for the amount of $ that the Fed. Gov't allows persons with a disability at income tax time.

What happens is this. If I'm accepted for this, the gov't will allow me to deduct just over $7000. from the amount I'd I owe them.

I had my doc fill out the necessary info but I knew I'd never get the allowance with what she said. After more than a year and with Neuro reports she just doesn't have a clue.

I threw her form away and had the therapist who comes to my home every second week fill in another. I feel sure that she did a good job and I sent copies of the Ns reports as well.

Could you do this sort of thing....bring along this type of report to support what you need to say? Just an idea. I'm new to this sort of claim.

Wishing you success and all the best. I'm sure that everyone on this DINET site know that you deserve what you have to do to get the exrtension on your pension.

Mary P

Hi Ernie,

Thought this might help. Maybe you can find something on there.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/isp/cpp/disaben.shtml

Your in Canada right?

Suzy

Ernie, all I know about this type of thing is about Sara's experience. When she was being evaluated for SSI, she was sent to one of "their" doctors. He asked her lots of questions, reviewed her medical file, etc. He also did cognition testing. He would say a list of items, talk a little more, then ask her to repeat the list for him. Her particular review wasnt too bad, didnt last a long time and proved to the SSI doctor that she was indeed disabled, both physically and mentally.

Good luck with your appt. Keep us updated.

Susan

Ernie,

I just went in and told the truth. You will either get someone sympathetic or not, but your files don't lie, and they can't really avoid those. The first time, I wasn't even using a wheel chair, the second time I was, so it was clear I had certainly not improved. I don't know how it works in Canada, but I just thought, I will answer everything truthfully and I breezed right through. Good luck sweetie! morgan

Guest tearose

I think you must explain all your history and maybe they will want to do an examination.

Try to think of it not just as looking at the bad, but maybe they will offer a good idea too??

I am hoping that it will go well and you have a caring interviewer,

tearose

hope everything will go well for you, ernie! i remember i was asked what i could do on a "good" day. when i told them i was able to go on my motorized bycicle to buy a bread (that was about 7 years ago, can't even do that in my scooter anymore) the doctor wrote down in my file that i was able to do the shopping (as in doing the groceries, which i couldn't of course).

i think you should urge on what your abilities are (how little they are) and not just the limitations as they want to know what you are able to do and not what you cannot do. that is how it goes in my country, hope it helps you a bit!

good luck and take care ernie and do let us know how things work out!

love

corina : )

Hi Ernie,

I hesitated to post because I don't want you to worry, but then again, you should be prepared, so here is my experience with these pension doctors in the USA. I had to go to four of them, none on "my side." They all made me feel like I was trying to milk the system.

They were all supposed to read my medical file before the appointment, but my file was so thick, none of them bothered to read it and none of them were familiar with my condition in the least. The cardiologist I saw assured me he would research the condition before he issued his report. At one point he said, "So are you telling me that if you were to stand up right here, these things would happen?" I said yes and did he want me to demonstrate. He blew it off and moved on to something else. His final report said I had sinus tachycardia 100+ while laying down, but that there was nothing wrong with me. He dismissed the tilt table test, catecholamine test, blood volume test, etc. because he had no clue how it all went together and he couldn't care less that I was diagnosed by one of his collegues.

Take all of your most relevant doctor reports (opinions) and positive tests. If you take too much, or they already have too much, they might not want to bother reading it. If you have a strong opinion in writing from another doctor, make sure you point that out to him. This may or may not help. The docs I saw said, "Well who told you that?" And they dismissed my doctors as if they were quacks or they were getting paid to give a false diagnosis.

Do not assume anything. Don't assume they are familiar with your condidition. Most of the docs I saw thought I was crazy, even with 2 1/2 feet of medical reports. I printed out a bunch of stuff from this website and then put it together with my testing. Do not assume after you are done talking that they understand anything you said. I had one doc tell me not to worry because he studied autonomic disfunction at such and such hospital. I walked out of there thinking "Thank goodnes, he understands!" Wrong. His report said there was nothing wrong with me.

Do not go light on your symptoms or restrictions. Make a list and tell them everything you cannot do anymore. think about the things most people take for granted like driving, going to the grocery store, standing in line to get your prescriptions, etc., don't stop because you think he has heard enough or already knows about your condition.

If they ask you if you would like to go back to work, tell them you would love to if you could find someone to fix you and ask him if he knows anyone. Think about what it would take to go back to work and how your symptoms would prevent that. One of the docs asked me "So why can't you go to work?" and "So, if you were to go to work tomorrow, what would you be able to do?" Think about your job and other available jobs in the same industry. Think about your job description and duties and think about why you cannot be productive in those jobs. Most of us know we cannot work full time, but are unable to articulate it to somone who is not sick. Tired and fatigue does not cut it.

Have a list of all of your medications, who prescribed them and why. It did not help me that I had stopped most of my medications at around the time I saw these docs. For some reason, meds make you legit.

Before you leave, it might be a good idea to stand up and let the chips fall where they may. Then you will leave there confident he knows and understands why you can't go to work.

The good news, is I got a pension, but that was mostly because my adjuster understood my medical condition with or without the doctors he sent me to.

What kind of doctor are you meeting with? I am not sure how it works where you live, but most of the doctors here have no clue about autonomic problems.

I hope everything goes well. I am sorry if this sounds so negative. From what I've read about your experiences, there is not a snowball's chance you could go back to work, but getting it across to the nimrods can be frustrating. Good luck!

Ann

Hi Ann,

Don't worry. You are not scaring me. I already know that those doctors are biased against us. I know that I have to convince a doctor who does not believe that I am disable that I am really disable. This is so unfair that the doctors dismiss all your tests and your testimony.

I will bring my test result and since you told me that they don't know anything about our disorder even if they say they do I will explain to him what the tests mean.

I will see an internal medicine doctor.

Ernie,

Do you have functional capacity reports filled out by the different doctors you have seen who validate your illness?

This helped my case, but in the end the EDS is what SSDI Doc said was disabling me, and said this was causing the rest of my other illnesses, and medical problems.

The SSDI doctor I'm talking about is the one that was at the hearing-----they are supposed to be non-biased. the one I saw before my second denial was biased, and clearly lied throughout the report. I was so livid I reported a complaint to SSDI, and wrote a letter to my congresswoman. Although I had a functional capacity report at the time, I didn't take any records with me to the first SSDI doctor. However, I don't think it would have made a difference anyway----not with that doctor.

I hope everything goes well for you Ernie. I think it should, as you have tons of evidence that your condition is disabling. BUT, those FC reports help.

Praying for you Ernie-- :huh:

Maxine :0)

ernie,

i was denied at first but after getting my lawyer on this case i was admitted in the end. it took me a lot of energy, stress and emotions (as i didn't want their money in the first place, i just wanted to be able to work) but now, years later and after having had another "check" i was easily admitted again. it didn't make me feel happy at the time, but now i am very grateful to have a little money of myself. it's not much, but it is mine and it helps me feel a bit "me".

again, i'm wishing you all the best and am thinking of you,

love,

corina : )

I have had to do this twice and I guess it's the only time I've been lucky. Both times, even though they worked for the other side, I got very sympathetic people. I never had to see a doctor, just psychs. maybe that's what saved me, they just wrote I was crazy and that gets you passed...LOL. good luck ernie. morgan