Cough. What Can We Take That Doesn't Agrevate The Pots?

I finally succumbed and picked up the bug that my kids brought home last month.

Its been years since I have taken any kind of cough medicine, usually a Ricola lozen works just fine. And it still does during the day somewhat but less well if I am lying down.

Are there any cough meds that don't interfere with POTS or ones that you've tried with success -- or I guess ones that are on your "not taking that again" list?

Thanks for thinking about this with me.

~EM

If it's a cough related to congestion then plain Mucinex worked for me. And for the tickle itself, those zinc lozengors worked well ...

Sorry to hear you're sick ..

BTW, I tried Benadryl capsules for my runny nose and felt too dizzy to stand up .. I kept running into things and bruising myself too. My doc recommended Zyrtec or Claritin. I tried the Zyrtec, but that knocked me out during the day.

Hi EM,

I found this looking for a solution for my cough that I have had for a long time. Something that wouldn't leave me drunk 24 hours a day! :lol: just some natural remidies, but worth a try.

http://useinfo6.blogspot.com/

If you try any, and they work let me know. I'd love to quit hacking for a while.

Hope you get feeling better real soon.

Suzy

Thanks MKoven, I'll have to read the label on the cough meds my kids where taking.

And thanks for the reminder about Zinc Diz. I use to have those around ... I'll have to check.

I got hungry just looking at that list all4fam! I actually made some spinach broth last night. I'll have to heat that up and give it a try. Then maybe an apple ... Some warm milk with turmeric .... To heck with the cough -- bring on the food!

:lol:

Guest GayleP

I had a really bad case of bronchitis a few years ago and I was able to handle a small dose of Robitussin with codeine. I took it at bedtime and and split up the dose so I would take one tsp and then another one an hour later. There was an over the counter robitussin which a had something else in it that made me too tachy.

Hope you feel better.

I've never had a problem with dextromethorphan. I just make sure there's nothing else in the preparation, esp no sudafed.

I am a big fan of the DXM. Really helps my body pain, as well as suppressing my cough. I think it can increase HR in some -- and it's a no-no if you are on a MAO-i. It never bothered me.

If it's a cough related to congestion then plain Mucinex worked for me. And for the tickle itself, those zinc lozengors worked well ...

Sorry to hear you're sick ..

BTW, I tried Benadryl capsules for my runny nose and felt too dizzy to stand up .. I kept running into things and bruising myself too. My doc recommended Zyrtec or Claritin. I tried the Zyrtec, but that knocked me out during the day.

If you have a cough, I would recommend holding off on the antihistamines, which will dry up your secretions, which you want to cough out. Guaifenesin (generic mucinex) to cough it up, and then DXM when you want to suppress the cough. Plain old Tussin from the dollar store works fine.

Hope you feel better.

Hi EM,

I am with you forget the cough! Bring on the food! :rolleyes: I've always found the food remidies to be the best! (Maybe I just like the food huh?!) Let me know if they work. I tried the suck on a peppercorn one yesterday, and I don't know if it is just a coincidence, but I didn't cough a lot last night, and I am not coughing yet today. Just hope it lasts!

Hope your feeling better,

Suzy