Are Beta Blockers Known To Disrupt Ability To Fall Asleep?

Pokey

I've read some reports on this site, of people complaining that beta blockers compromise their ability to sleep. After doing a little research, I discovered that beta blockers can compromise natural melatonin production, which we need to fall asleep and maintain a normal sleep cycle.

I always figured that beta blockers (I take Coreg, an alpha/beta blocker) would help me fall asleep, by reducing the effects of adrenaline, that are often improperly surging in my system. But then I took a few days off, as I transitioned to a new med, and falling asleep became much easier, leading me to suspect that the Coreg is interrupting my sleep. I would love to hear the accounts of others.

Thanks for any input.

Wow.. you gave me an idea..I never thought it was my beta blocker..that could be messin up my sleep.

Thanks..something to consider.

Jan

yes, bb's are NOTORIOUS for messing up people's ability to sleep. If melatonin helps, then wonderful. but it can be more complicated than that, tho yes, bb can mess up the body's natural melatonin.

But so can MANY illnesses.

If you just need a shorter acting BB as needed as opposed to one a day 24 hour dose (that most docs give out of HABIT AND LAZINESS)

Ask your doc if you can try taking propranalol (or another short acting substitute) early in the day.

TOPROL XL was a nightmare for me that my cardiologist never understood for a second but my ANS doc did and the latter changed me to propranolol...baby dose.

just my two cents worth.

One more thing to consider...what does your HR do at night while you sleep---UNMEDICATED? I had a 24-hour holter monitor and it showed most of the night my HR was in the 50's to LOW 40's. My PCP looked at it after I asked him to, and yanked my evening dose of BB. If your HR is already low at night, it doesn't need to go any lower! You probably would like to actually wake up in the morning! :blink:

I take a baby dose of Propranolol at 6:30 am and that's it for the day! Melatonin slows my HR (also shown on the holter monitor) so baby dose of that too!

One more thing to consider...what does your HR do at night while you sleep---UNMEDICATED? I had a 24-hour holter monitor and it showed most of the night my HR was in the 50's to LOW 40's. My PCP looked at it after I asked him to, and yanked my evening dose of BB. If your HR is already low at night, it doesn't need to go any lower! You probably would like to actually wake up in the morning! :blink:

Okay, this scares the heck out of me. I'm on Metoprolol ER 25mg. When I had my 24-hour monitor done, I did notice a lower heart rate at night, I think around 50's. I've been on Metoprolol ER for a long while and have been okay so far as know ???, though I have no idea what my heart rate is at night. This is really freaking me out. If I did just a regular morning dose, though, how fast would it wear off? Would it last all day and be out of my system at night?

Maybe this BB is why I've had trouble with insomnia as well, though to be fair I've struggled with insomnia for years and years. I take an anti-psychotic that helps me sleep.

Amber

I dont have problems falling asleep on BB's, although I dont know how good the sleep that I actually get is...if this makes sense? They make me sleepy, but I have really weird and vivid dreams on them. Although, I was diagnosed really quickly with POTS (2 weeks), so I dont know if it is the BB's causing my dreaming or the POTS itself.

I only take a tiny dose (6mg) in the morning, so I dont know how much is actually left in my system by the time I go to bed.

I take a baby dose of Propranolol at 6:30 am and that's it for the day! Melatonin slows my HR (also shown on the holter monitor) so baby dose of that too!

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I like the way you think, Firewatcher. I was thinking the same. My HR while supine, sleeping, is between 45 and 80, and my supine BP is usually normal. So, I am going to take my morning dose of Coreg (the short-acting one), and then the second dose in the early afternoon, such that it will be largely cleared from my system.

I know to read the side-effect profile of meds with some cynicism (i.e., it's largely about any possibility of harm that could result in a lawsuit), but there is some pretty scary ones pertaining to beta blockers, that make sense intuitively, by virtue of the neurohormonal changes (e.g., increased triglycerides, increased LDLs, decreased HDLs, etc. etc.). I suppose this reinforces the importance of a good diet and some type of regular cardiovascular exercise if we can do it, particularly when on beta blockers.

Again, thanks for all the feedback. I'll report back on sleep changes after a few nights. Good news is no intolerable side effects from Mestinon -- though I may need to start taking some charcoal (hint, hint) -- and it seems to be helping me exercise more intensely and with greater regularity.

Take care,

P

I dont have problems falling asleep on BB's, although I dont know how good the sleep that I actually get is...if this makes sense? They make me sleepy, but I have really weird and vivid dreams on them. Although, I was diagnosed really quickly with POTS (2 weeks), so I dont know if it is the BB's causing my dreaming or the POTS itself.

I only take a tiny dose (6mg) in the morning, so I dont know how much is actually left in my system by the time I go to bed.

Vivid dreams are a reported side effect, FWIW. I cant say I ever noticed that.

As for how much is in your system, you may want to research the half-life of the med. I would imagine most of it would be cleared by bedtime, unless it's an extended release.

Hang in there.

Okay, this scares the heck out of me. I'm on Metoprolol ER 25mg. When I had my 24-hour monitor done, I did notice a lower heart rate at night, I think around 50's. I've been on Metoprolol ER for a long while and have been okay so far as know ???, though I have no idea what my heart rate is at night. This is really freaking me out. If I did just a regular morning dose, though, how fast would it wear off? Would it last all day and be out of my system at night?

Maybe this BB is why I've had trouble with insomnia as well, though to be fair I've struggled with insomnia for years and years. I take an anti-psychotic that helps me sleep.

Amber

TF, I don't think you have anything to worry about, though it's worth raising with your doc.

Incidentally, 100 mgs of Seroquel is a pretty good dose for sleep. Doesn't that leave you with a hangover? (I neglected to look if you are BP, which would change the equation.)

In any event, I'd suggest taking it easy about the Metoprolol. I dont think you are at any significant risk of harm from too slow of a heart beat. But I can relate to being scared. Much of this stuff is scary, partly because so much of it remains to be figured out.

Take care and hang in there.

Amber

Amber, if you've been taking it "for years" and you are still waking up in the morning, I'd stop worrying. You're HR is supposed to drop at night, just usually not into the 40's for as long as mine does. My OB/GYN explained this with far more sense than my cardiologist: if your heart beats that fast all day, it is in good shape, so that when you sleep it is just like an athletes heart and slows down like it is supposed to!

Pokey, I take 1/2 of a 3mg tablet of Melatonin just before bedtime and it will replace what the BB destroyed. Works great for me! :blink:

Thanks for the suggestion. This happens to be the precise amount of melatonin I take. Unfortunately, this, alone, does not get me to sleep. I need to take a benzo (klonopin) or a muscle relaxant (flexeril), as well. Ironically, I am fatigued most of the day, but my body seems to run warmer at night. The daytime is my dress rehearsal. : ) Thanks for the good advice.

I take Atenolol twice a day as the propranolol didn't work for me. I have vivid dreams... Dreams in High Def with surround sound lol. I also had alot of difficulty sleeping. My Dr put me on 30mg of Deptran before bed each night and it really helps me sleep, and I don't get the hungover foggy type feeling that I used to get when I took sleeping pills once upon a time. Didn't help with the dreams though.

Archived