Brain Fog

bizbiz

Just wondering if the brain fog gets better with time?

For me, the brain fog is the most annoying symptom. It seemed to get better for a while, but after an 'episode' a week ago, it seems to be back quite bad. I find I am reading and then re-reading things so many times just to get things to sink in...is this common?

Does it usually get better with time, or does it just come and go depending on how bad your POTS is?

I've been in quite a fog this last week, and I guess I'm just looking for hope that it will get better as time goes on...?

Thankyou Ernie.

I can understand how salt could help in someone who's blood pressure drops on standing, however my BP does not drop, so I dont understand what is going on.

I guess it must be a circulation thing, for the same reason that my arms hurt and feel heavy when I lift them above my head.

I'm tired of being tired and foggy!

Thankyou Ernie.

I can understand how salt could help in someone who's blood pressure drops on standing, however my BP does not drop, so I dont understand what is going on.

I guess it must be a circulation thing, for the same reason that my arms hurt and feel heavy when I lift them above my head.

I'm tired of being tired and foggy!

It's likely cerebral hypoperfusion. I can certainly relate -- my once strong "working memory" is now pathetic most of the time, particularly if I am standing and there's lots of stimulation or stressors. While I don't think my cognition is getting worse at this juncture, I don't think there has been any sustainable period of improvement for the last 3 years. I can't tolerate most of the meds that have been recommended by my doctors (e.g., the meds used for ADD, narcolepsy, etc.).

You may want to research Jay Goldstein, who wrote a couple of books called Tuning the Brain and Betrayal of the Brain, as well as a number of others pertaining to FMS and CFS. He has some real interesting thoughts about calcium channel blockers and NMDA antagonists, among so many other classes of medication, that can help body pain, cognition, etc., things many of us suffer from. He's no longer practicing, which is unfortunate, as he had a pretty cool approach to treating his patients; he was practically running an experimental lab out of his office, and would try multiple meds on patients during a single office visit.

If we're all foggy, maybe it will feel like blue skies and sunshine! ; )

Hang in there.

If your dysautonomia improves, it is likely that your brain fog would improve too.

I'm always foggy. Sometimes I can push through it, sometimes it gets bad. This symptom hasn't gotten better for me over time, but none of my other symtoms have gotten better either. Brain fog and more cognitive difficulties have just been part of the progression of ANS dysfunction for me.

I have taken Cerefolin NAC in the past, and it definitely helped with the brain fog. You could ask your doctor about a prescription for it.

Other things that help me are salt, compression, midodrine, and rest as needed. My brain fog definitely gets worse the longer I'm up right (when less and less blood is getting to my brain). Lying down usually helps enough blood to get to my brain, but not always.

Rachel

Hi, brain fog has been a big problem for me the last couple months. I was having trouble concentrating, problems with word recall, slurring my speech, getting confused easily, ect. It was driving me nuts. My doctor recently put me on a calcium channel blocker, Norvasc, to help with my poor circulation and since I've been on it the last couple weeks, I have noticed a huge improvement with my brain fog :( I can actually think straight for most of the time and I don't get confused as easily. I still have some problems with slurring my speech, and there are still the bad days but the improvement from the calcium channel blocker has been significant and very nice :) I will say that though I was put on Norvasc for the poor circulation I have in my arms and legs, I havent noticed a difference in that at all. My circulation is still bad. But because it's helped my brain fog so much, I definately plan on staying on it. :)

Candace

Thought I would just have to accept brain fog/cognitive/speech problems as part of whats ailing me..NOT!!

So..after seeing my nutritionist..now he's specialized..not your typical one...he had me detoxing TOXIC build up and inflammation on the brain..and then built up my systems with WHOLE FOODs in tablet form ..whaala!! My cog/brain fog stuff diminished..nearly gone. I know MEDICATIONS..STRESS..and wherever else we pick up TOXINS (food..drinks..air) combined with what our disorders are..makes our brain mushy to say the least. Now he didnt cure me.. hardly.. nor diagnose me.. he cannot..but build UP my systems exactly where I am deficient.. yes.. he did that and my strength and energy improved.

Dont forget our LIVERS also are trying to metabolize heavy duty chemicals..ingested..and its gets sluggish itself with quite the build up.

I cannot stress enough how detoxing your livers helps as well. I used to use a liver/colon cleansing system..pills..from the health food store..which SAFELY rids us of toxins. Its not the running to the bathroom kind either. My clients who had drug and alcohol problems tried this on their own.. and yes they felt better and had MORE energy!!

My nutritionist is specialized in evaluating the individual..knowing exactly what you the individual needs in only the amount YOU neeed..ONLY for as longa s your body tells him you need it. Unlike meds..you take and take..not knowing when and if they are still working..he knows exactly. For example..you can take vitamins but your body many not need ALL the vitaimins..only say.. B vitamins...or C. etc. Thats how EXACT he can get.

All I know is that my MD neuros are amazed..and send me back to him.

Jan

Hello,

My brain fog has gotten some better over time. I couldn't read for the first 3 years with this illness. At that point things were going really bad and Dr. Grubb prescribed exercise....he basically said it wasn't an option. I hesitantly started swimming and after just doing a little I would come home crying and just crash (the fog was even worse then). BUT, slowly but surely I was able to tolerate exercising better and then slowly a few improvements happened.

1. My muscles shook a lot less (the previous tremulousness got lots better)

2. When I exerted myself for anything I didn't crash nearly as hard.

3. My brain fog improved. (I still have difficult times and if I don't get enough sleep/rest it comes back but overall I am reading regularly and have seen great improvement here)

I still struggle daily and cannot even work but the improvements I've seen after forcing myself to exercise are way worth the output of energy. It also makes me feel good as far as good endorphins.

Hope things improve for you!

Lisa

Brain fog has been killing me lately and only.... wait, what was I talking about??? :blink: .... oh yeah, only gotten worse!!! I can't think straight to save my life. I forget EVERYTHING! I stop mid-sentance and forget what I was even talking about. I could go on... Like I said, it has been getting worse for me this last year. :( I would love to get it taken care of, but how? I've tried everything!

Hollie

Just like our Lalalisa, I couldn't even read for over a year. (I used to be an avid reader- at least 3 books a week!) I haven't even tried to articulate this loss to a doctor. Folks here are the only ones who would get it. Since I'm finally treating the underlying cause of my POTS- MCAD; I'm reading again, much slower than I used to. A single book takes me several weeks. But, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Turmeric (curcumin) is the single best thing I have done for my cognitve issues. A starting dose of 500mg would be worth a try. Of course, you need to be treating your autonomic dysfunction too.

All the best-

Julie

Nothing helps and I second what Rachel and Poohbear said.

For most of us diet will not help (except salting and fluids IF ITS a hydration/low blood volume deal) because it's a GRAVITY circulation issue..the longer I am up the fuzzier my brain..and somedays I can push and other times can not remember my address or phone number. MADDENING.

You know it's a bad gravity day when lying flat, your I.Q. is equal to a pair of shoes :(

:angry:

P.S. But eating too many carbs in one sitting can make it worse...but we all know that by now or SHOULD. Also if you are stupid enough to eat raw choc chip cookie dough with UNsweetened coconut added and THEN eat too many baked cookies, your brain fog worse. And you deserve to feel LOUSY.

I tested this theory a couple hours ago.worsens your mood, too..even lying flat!! :blink: