Migraines

nantynannie

Hi All,

I was wondering what the migraine suffers who also have POTS do to relieve symptoms. I am looking for the best remedies and treatment/meds for the POTS people. My sister has terrible migraines and I'm pretty sure she has POTS also. Nothing seems to be working for her. I know that vasodialtation/constriction plays a part in migraines and POTS, but are the mechanisms the opposite of one another?

Thank you!

I have been dealing with migraines since I was 13. The keys for me are two fold. One was to find my triggers. I cannot eat many, many foods because they are sure to cause a migraine between hours and a day. Some of these foods include any rice product (crazy, huh), any product with BHT (a preservative in many cereals and gum), sausages, caffine, root beer barrels :lol:, movie theater popcorn, and the list goes on. Second, I have to take between 2 and 4 ibuprofen as soon as I feel the aura coming on. If I don't catch it early, I am done. I hope this helps a little.

Julie

The only thing that makes mine go away is Craniosacral Therapy. But you've really got to find someone good. Most massage therapists will *say* they do it, but at least in my experience, actual doctors who are trained in it are the only ones who create a difference that can be truly felt. I go to a doctor who has an integrative health practice specializing in osteopathic work.

Guest brianala

I have been taking Frovatriptan when I sense a migraine coming on, but I'd begun to get rebound headaches from using it.

Squeezing my head as tightly as I can with both hands, or having someone sit on it seems to help but that's about it! ;)

The only triggers I have positively identified are fluorescent lights, CRT monitors, and lack of sleep. I've had some foods trigger migraines but not reliably, so I don't know what I can safely eat all the time (and I hate staying away from something tasty just because it *might* cause a migraine).

I haven't found anything OTC or natural that helps.

Hi All,

I was wondering what the migraine suffers who also have POTS do to relieve symptoms. I am looking for the best remedies and treatment/meds for the POTS people. My sister has terrible migraines and I'm pretty sure she has POTS also. Nothing seems to be working for her. I know that vasodialtation/constriction plays a part in migraines and POTS, but are the mechanisms the opposite of one another?

Thank you!

The thing that worked best for my migraines was actually a surprise. I was prescribed domperidone for gastoparesis. Since starting the med, my abdominal pain decreased and so did my migraines/headaches. A very nice bonus.

For me, I can often tell how badly my dysautnomia is flaring by my headache. On those days when I've done too much, it helps me to hydrate as much as possible. Once my migraine sets in, it's usually accompanied by my other symptoms including nausea and vomitting. I have some phenergan syrup that's easy to swallow, but advil also helps somewhat for the pain. Like Firewatcher, I often just have to rest and sleep so I'll take a 1/2 a vicodin with the phenergan which will at least take the edge off.