I Found It!

juliegee

Tumeric is a potent suppressor of TNF alpha which is implicated in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, some auto immune disorders, allergies and also some forms of POTS - so its not surprising that tumeric helps = not to mention its other mechanisms of action.

Its also very helpful for patients with Gilberts Syndrome - impaired bilirubin processing in the liver.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the attention of anyone taking Tumeric supplements in Europe: Please avoid brands Fortodol and Miradin.These have both recently been the subject of a serious health scare and have been withdrawn from sale and will be to a recalled.Just thought I'd let you all know in case anyone is experimenting with either of these brands.

Tainted turmeric supplements linked to Scandinavian deaths

By Shane Starling, 23-Mar-2009

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Regulation...inavian-deaths/

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has warned the UK public to avoid a brand of turmeric food supplements containing a drug called nimesulide after it was linked to two deaths and several liver damage cases in Scandinavia.

The product in question, branded as Fortodol or Leppin Miradin, drew the attention of medical agencies after 11 liver-related adverse event reports in Sweden and a further five in Norway, including the deaths.

Nimesulide is not authorised as a medicine in the UK.

In response, the FSA said in a statement on Friday: "There have been no reports of liver failure or illness linked with these products in the UK. As a precautionary measure, however, these products have been voluntarily withdrawn from sale by the two main importers and recall notices will be placed in the shops selling these supplements."

Fortodol and Miradin are usually sold in the UK via the internet as food supplements, often accompanied by unsubstantiated claims to relieve arthritis, muscle pains and headaches.

I also found some information while searching online that says to avoid Tumeric supplements containing maltodextrin and dicalcium phosphate.Maltodextrin lists headaches and bloating as side effects. I remember several people saying they felt they had headaches after trying Tumeric.Maybe this might be why?

Thats from this page:http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/turmeric.html

For the attention of anyone taking Tumeric supplements in Europe: Please avoid brands Fortodol and Miradin.These have both recently been the subject of a serious health scare and have been withdrawn from sale and will be to a recalled.Just thought I'd let you all know in case anyone is experimenting with either of these brands.
Tainted turmeric supplements linked to Scandinavian deaths

By Shane Starling, 23-Mar-2009

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Regulation...inavian-deaths/

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has warned the UK public to avoid a brand of turmeric food supplements containing a drug called nimesulide after it was linked to two deaths and several liver damage cases in Scandinavia.

The product in question, branded as Fortodol or Leppin Miradin, drew the attention of medical agencies after 11 liver-related adverse event reports in Sweden and a further five in Norway, including the deaths.

Nimesulide is not authorised as a medicine in the UK.

In response, the FSA said in a statement on Friday: "There have been no reports of liver failure or illness linked with these products in the UK. As a precautionary measure, however, these products have been voluntarily withdrawn from sale by the two main importers and recall notices will be placed in the shops selling these supplements."

Fortodol and Miradin are usually sold in the UK via the internet as food supplements, often accompanied by unsubstantiated claims to relieve arthritis, muscle pains and headaches.

I also found some information while searching online that says to avoid Tumeric supplements containing maltodextrin and dicalcium phosphate.Maltodextrin lists headaches and bloating as side effects. I remember several people saying they felt they had headaches after trying Tumeric.Maybe this might be why?

Thats from this page:http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/turmeric.html

Thanks for the info. The GNC brand I purchased contains maltodextrin, and it did give me a headache. I've stopped using it.

P.S. I haven't found anything on the net saying it can cause headaches. Do you have a link? Thanks.

Thanks for the info. The GNC brand I purchased contains maltodextrin, and it did give me a headache. I've stopped using it.

P.S. I haven't found anything on the net saying it can cause headaches. Do you have a link? Thanks.

Hi futurehope. I love your name btw!

This was the initial information that I found on maltodextrin and Tumeric:

BUYING TURMERIC CAPSULES - WARNING!

07/21/2008: If you decide to buy turmeric capsules, please read all the ingredients on the packaging! We recently bought a bottle Turmeric Curcumin at the chain GNC for $21.99 (gulp!) because so many of our readers mentioned buying capsules instead of powder in the spice section of a grocery store for $3-$4. We got the bottle home and inspected it more. We were quite dismayed to see Dicalcium Phosphate and Maltodextrin listed as "Other Ingredients". Reported side effects of Malodextrin are bloating and headaches. The caveats and side effects of Dicalcium Phosphate are reported here: http://www.superglisodin.com/dcp.html.

Source here

After googling some more I've seen alot of anecdotal evidence linking maltodextrin to migrane headaches. It seems to be in some way linked to MSG .It''s mentioned in an article on migrane with a John Hopkins based neuro as another name for MSG that manufacturers sometimes use to avoid printing MSG in their list of ingredients.

Article here

It may be worth trying Tumeric again in powder spice form from a grocery shop. It's cheaoer and perhaps it's better without the hidden extras that some people may be sensitive too. It's just a thought really :blink:

I also ended up having a reaction to the GNC turmeric. It caused my shoulders to burn and one of my eyes wouldn't stop twitching- weird!!! As soon as I taking it, the symptoms stopped. I've had weeks without turmeric and I missed the benefits. I'm starting another trial with the real spice, no supplements for me. So far, so good. Here is a link to a site that gives advice on beginning to cook with turmeric in case anyone lese is interested. At the very end of this site, there is a link to purchase it. I am NOT recommending the site for that reason. I bought a bottle at my super Wal-Mart for $3.99. It is 100% pure turmeric.

http://www.lionsgrip.com/curresearch.html

All the best-

Julie

I made my own capsules, using vegan gelatin capsules and ground tumeric that I purchased from an Indian grocer. I haven't had an ill effects... hard to say if I've had good effects.

Nina

• 8 months later...

Very Interesting Julie. I've taken tumeric in the past and did feel better on it so think I'll try it again. Thanks for posting this!

When I was in India in 2002 all I heard was "Madam, you must slow down" and "it's not good to be moving so fast" when I was walking around so not sure if they all have so much more energy as a culture. :)

Turmeric was possibly the most helpful med (supplement) I've taken since becoming ill. It helped so much with fatigue and cognitive stuff HOWEVER (sigh, there's always an however) I developed an awful allergic reaction to it and had to discontinue it.

My reaction was strange. I developed a strong burning sensation on the tops of my shoulders. (My PCP even evaluated me for shingles.) Then, my left eye developed a persistent tic. All of my symptoms stopped as soon as I stopped the turmeric.

Try it. If you can tolerate it, it really helps.

Julie

I just put a tablespoon in my coffee and it was pretty good, actually. We will see if it gives me energy but at this point I am willing to try anything. Plus I like herbal meds a lot better! Thanks for posting!

Turmeric, turmeric, turmeric.....why do I keep forgetting thee.

I *think* I first started to feel better after a couple weeks on it. But, I added in antihistamines sooooo, I don't know for sure what did what. ****.

Must.remember.to.start.one.new.medication.at.a.time.

I'm going to add it back in. I have the hyper POTS. My nori was 980 standing. I've been feeling very anxious lately.

Funny, I have always been a fast walker too--which is often commented on--eg, I developed the nickname "zoom zoom" among acquaintences. I think I do feel better when I am walking faster--although I have not really thought much about that until now!

My kids are forever whining about me walking too fast and people at work always comment on it as well. But I agree with you, I definitely feel better when I walk fast. Trying to do the "mall shuffle" makes me feel awful, besides driving me crazy. :)

Guest tearose

I can get terrible migraines but do all I can to avoid them.

I developed daily headaches with the Tumeric so I stopped it.

As soon as I stopped the Tumeric, the headaches stopped too.

Not about Tumeric, but I thought it was funny how many of us are "fast walkers". It makes sense and everything. I just hadn't put it totally together. I am a fast walker (normally, but not when symptomatic) and an impatient one. I can not stand walking at a slow pace behind people, or walking slowly with someone that has only one speed... slow. :D I can not stand still in stores, I always have to be walking. I am not a lingerer. It can annoy others to shop with me, and can annoy me as well! ;)

sounds just like me - grumpy shopper. i went with some friends and they wanted to check each brand of a cerial and then check its sodiums levels and muck around over and over. For me its a split second decision always - i do small shops because i havent done a big one in years. The fact that I nearly fainted in the que once and there was no where to ly or even sit has scared me. LOL.

Funny thing is my wife is now also a split second shopper and she spends much less time doing it. realise that if your organised because you have to be you can accomplish things quickly.

So, after all this discussion, i decided to pick up some tumeric at my local Indian grocer--I got a 2lb bag for 3.59!! I made tea out of it with a big heaping teaspoon full, added some raw honey, and a piece of candied ginger while it steeped. They also had fresh tumeric, which I got a few pieces of--it looks like ginger root, just smaller. The tea didn't taste bad at all, but I did need to put a little coffee creamer in it to mellow it a bit. Only drawback so far is that I can't get the yellow out of my finger nails from when I cleaned up my cup.

Nina

Nina, if you figure out how to get rid of that yellow, let me know. I've used tumeric for years with my canaries because it helps prevent a protozoa birds are prone to called coccidiosis. I shred the root and always end up with yellow fingers.

I hope tumeric helps all of you. I am following this post with interest.

Michelle

I've been taking curcumin (which is basically, tumeric) for 4 days and now and it has helped reduce my brain fog dramatically! Its very exciting. I also have way more energy. I still have a little brain fog after working out but nothing like before. However, I've noticed that my heart is beating faster and I can't tell if its from the curcumin or if its just because I've been working out more. Has anyone else noticed a more rapid heart beat on curcumin? I'm worried that if curcumin is making my heart beat faster than even if its making my POTS improve now, its going to make it worse in the long run. Sort of like how caffeine is fake energy, that makes you feel great the day you take it, but only because its sucking up all your resources to put you in overdrive for that one day, leaving you with nothing the day after. Has anyone taken curcumin/tumeric long-term and had positive results?

Dear Julie,

I have issue with my addreal glands. I am not full blown pots but am hypersensetive to my own adrenalin and its makes me look as if I am have tremors or seziures. Found this out after my tilt test. My doctor from this site has never seen anyone with a sever reaction to the test. I have been on beta blockers and Mandura which is a supplement. I have to tell you I have only been taken this supplement for a few days and what a difference it has made for me. I'm able to have a life,energy, and best of all no brain fog at this point, headaches, stiffness. I know for us there is no cure but I want to let you know there is a product for us which is a all natural supplement that really does help. If you are interstested please go to me email and I will answer any questions you might have. PS its good for our children also. Hope this helps. misstmpl@comcast.net

Sincerely,

misstmpl