Soul-crushing Fatigue

Guest brianala

Guest brianala

Anyone found anything to help alleviate the sometimes soul-crushing fatigue?

I am having one of those days where I am so tired I just can't function right. There are days when I honestly fear for my job because I'm so tired. I always manage, and I'm good at what I do, but I there's nothing I would rather do more right now than curl up under my desk and sleep the rest of the afternoon (unfortunately I have a hard time taking naps so even if I could that wouldn't help).

I was always pretty tired to begin with, but since quitting caffeine and going on the beta blockers it has been just horrible. I'm still working on getting my hydration and salt levels up so I will probably feel better once I can manage that consistently, but do you have any other tips? What do you do to get through the after lunch slump? That's always the worst for me.

Thanks. :blink:

Have you tried compression hose/garments? For many of us, compression increases the amount of time that we are able to be upright. It may be enough to help you get through the afternoon.

You could also try propping your feet up under your desk while you work. Someone here (can't remember who) has an ottoman that she keeps under her desk just for that purpose.

I hope you can find a way to get through the afternoon slump.

Take care,

Rachel

Guest brianala

Thanks Rachel.

No, I haven't tried compression hose, but I will definitely give them a shot! I already have a foot rest under my desk but for a completely different reason - I'm so short my legs don't reach the ground :blink:

futurehope, the last time I saw my cardiologist (for my tilt table test) I told her how tired I was and asked her if I continue staying off caffeine. She said yes. I asked if there was another beta blocker that I could try that might make me less tired (my cousin and my mom have been on Atenolol with good results) and she said that in my case, Toprol was the best one to be on. So, I don't know if I "need it" need it, but I have asked my cardiologist about it and she wants to see me stay on it.

She did seem really surprised at how tired I was, though. I'm going to ask again next month when I go in for my follow up, since the beta blocker isn't doing much of anything to help my palpitations anymore.

I am having one of those days where I am so tired I just can't function right. There are days when I honestly fear for my job because I'm so tired. I always manage, and I'm good at what I do, but I there's nothing I would rather do more right now than curl up under my desk and sleep the rest of the afternoon (unfortunately I have a hard time taking naps so even if I could that wouldn't help).

I was always pretty tired to begin with, but since quitting caffeine and going on the beta blockers it has been just horrible. I'm still working on getting my hydration and salt levels up so I will probably feel better once I can manage that consistently, but do you have any other tips? What do you do to get through the after lunch slump? That's always the worst for me.

Thanks. <_<

Wow. I had the same type of day as you and was going to post a similar question. So I want to thank you - it's nice to know you're not alone.

I feel for you with the caffeine. I still can have my AM Latte/Tea/Coffee (one drink, usually). If I'm feeling really wild, I sometimes have a Coke Zero in the evening (rare!). :D

But...as with you, naps don't help me a whole lot. If I can even nap. I somehow force myself through and keep working (meetings can be rough).

I think I'm eating too heavy/carb of a lunch lately so have to look into that. Do you usually eat a big lunch?

I also wonder once the weather is more agreeable if a short walk will help after lunch. Sometimes it gets the blood somewhat flowing! :/

Let us know if you find something that works for you!

Guest brianala

Thanks. :D

Wow. I had the same type of day as you and was going to post a similar question. So I want to thank you - it's nice to know you're not alone.

I feel for you with the caffeine. I still can have my AM Latte/Tea/Coffee (one drink, usually). If I'm feeling really wild, I sometimes have a Coke Zero in the evening (rare!). :D

But...as with you, naps don't help me a whole lot. If I can even nap. I somehow force myself through and keep working (meetings can be rough).

I think I'm eating too heavy/carb of a lunch lately so have to look into that. Do you usually eat a big lunch?

I also wonder once the weather is more agreeable if a short walk will help after lunch. Sometimes it gets the blood somewhat flowing! :/

Let us know if you find something that works for you!

It is nice to know you're not alone. In a weird way it makes it a little more bearable, I think!

I read the other thread about tumeric and I tried a little in my coffee today. I seem to have a little more energy, although I've still had my bouts of extreme fatigue today the impact seems to be lessened a bit. Not sure whether that is due to the tumeric or my chiropractic appointment first thing this morning!

I try not to eat too many carbs, since I know that will only make it worse. The past few weeks I've been trying to get in a lot of salt so I've been eating a lot of soup and salty meats.

I used to go walking at lunch with coworkers but I really need to get back to that! It's just so hard to get up the energy to change and get out there <_<