Feel Extremely Hot From The Inside...

lorrie

For many many years now, I have had a very frustrating symptom. I would say that at least 95% of the time I feel like I have a volcano inside my body. I begin feeling so hot from deep inside and it doesn't matter what the room temperature is. Co-workers, family and friends absolutely don't understand me. I wear short sleeve tops all year round because I am naturally hot natured, but this is different.

The worst part of it is that I begin coughing when this happens. I really have trouble at church because of this. I start getting that hot feeling and start coughing and can't stop. I actually have had to get up and go home in the middle of church because I can't stop coughing. I also do this at work and people always start tossing cough drops, peppermints, bottled water my way thinking it is a scratchy throat...it never helps. I can't stop coughing until I cool off.

The weird thing is that I don't sweat...I just feel hot inside. The only time I sweat is when I have a POTS episode and pass out. I sweat excessively then.

You would think that I would cough in hot weather, but I don't. I can be outside when it is in the 90's and never cough. I can even handle hot weather temperatures pretty well. I just have this problem with inside hot feelings.

Do any of you do this? I sometimes feel crazy because I don't know anyone else who does this. Thanks for your replies.

This may sound extremely crazy and off-the-wall, but I'm just throwing stuff out there -

GERD? (acid reflux)?

I had coughing really, really bad with GERD; it was like I had a cold that was hanging on and would flare up when I ate or got upset or exherted myself.

Does the warmth feel like possibly hot burn at all?

:blink: Again, just throwing something out there.

Amber

I don't know if what I experience is what you're describing. Last June I started having burning red feet and within a week it spread to my hands, face, and mouth. It feels like a constant sore throat. Under stress or if I get too warm the burning moves centrally and in the summer is so unbearable I can't tolerate wearing clothes somedays. When I get stressed, though, I've described to my doctor that it feels like I'm burning from the inside out. I have had a barium swallow and I do have high-grade reflux. I also have small bowel dysmotility which probably also contributes to my reflux, but I don't have much problems with coughing. Also my mouth even tastes like metal. The only thing that somewhat helps is lots of rest, sometimes benadryl helps, and staying really hydrated. Sometimes I have to take pain meds in order to sleep through the pain because it's worse at night, especially in the warm months. Mayo also said I have small fiber neuropathy. Sometimes with the burning my temp goes up a degree or two, but that might be from sympathetic overactivity?

I went thru the same thing several years ago when dys first started. Most of my symptoms were caused by multiple chemical sensitivity. I became allergic to my soap, det, lotions, hair products, cleaning products, perfumes, etc. I could no longer go to church or any social event. My first response to these products was feeling hot inside. Later I would feel hot inside & out as if I were on fire. Just something else for you to consider.

I have the same thing without the coughing. Massive heat coming from the inside. My doc says it is ANS related. It is especially bad if it is cold outside. If I walk from the house to the car in cold weather, I have to turn the airconditioning on high and take off my jacket or not wear one at all. It is also bad going from the outside cold to inside a store or whatever, but it can happen any time and under different circumstances. I also have the same burning/red issues with the hands and feet that were mentioned in another post. I don't know what the solution might be and I don't know about the coughing...sorry!

I love this board because it is comforting to know others have the same wieird symptoms. Does anyone else yawn alot on bad days?

Ann

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I don't know what causes the "internal heat" symptom, but I have also experienced it. I used to say that it felt like my insides were cooking. I feel like there is heat radiating from my body cavity. I also do not sweat at all in response to being warm; being outdoors in the warmth or even in a warm room or in the kitchen when there is a burner on makes me feel woozy and like I am going to pass out. I only get cold and sweaty in association with other autonomic symptoms, but never sweat when I normally would have before getting dysautonomia. I don't have much to offer in terms of understanding or treating this symptom, but I wanted you to know that I know what you are talking about. I don't experience coughing related with it though. The only thing that sometimes helps me is holding an icepack to my core body, usually my abdomen when I get this feeling. Hang in there all!

~ Broken_Shell

This was one of my most bothersome symptoms when first dx?d. It felt like I was burning up from the inside out ? like my blood was molten lava and the burn radiating off my skin was like a white hot sunburn. At the time, the only relief I got was from lying down and applying cold cloths to my body. I?d also wear Cool-dana?s (from the sporting goods store ? bandanas filled with a liquid pack that you could freeze and then wear). I?ve been going to a cranial osteopath who?s been doing head/neck manipulation to lessen the severity of my POTS symptoms.

Oh, on several occasions I?ve had the out-of-control cough with this. But most times, it was the out-of-control yawning. Just crazy, this illness!

• 8 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2009 at 8:39 AM, Broken_Shell said:

Hello.

I don't know what causes the "internal heat" symptom, but I have also experienced it. I used to say that it felt like my insides were cooking. I feel like there is heat radiating from my body cavity. I also do not sweat at all in response to being warm; being outdoors in the warmth or even in a warm room or in the kitchen when there is a burner on makes me feel woozy and like I am going to pass out. I only get cold and sweaty in association with other autonomic symptoms, but never sweat when I normally would have before getting dysautonomia. I don't have much to offer in terms of understanding or treating this symptom, but I wanted you to know that I know what you are talking about. I don't experience coughing related with it though. The only thing that sometimes helps me is holding an icepack to my core body, usually my abdomen when I get this feeling. Hang in there all!

~ Broken_Shell

I am looking for others' experiences with this symptom. Like someone lit a fire in my body. This has been going on for well over a year and so many Dr's has chalked it up to hot flashes. I know what hot flashes are and they are not hot flashes. I have had my medication switched but I still get them. Its taking a toll on my life. AC and fans don't help at all. I am desperate for some answers. I am from the Ohio and I could not wear any winter clothes at all because I got so hot. I would literally go outside in below freezing weather with no coat on and I was not cold at all.Now I live in florida which is the worse state to live in for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 10 months later...

Lorrie,

Have you talked to your doctor about Mast Cell Activation Disorder? It sounds like that could be what you're experiencing. It presents itself in so many different ways and always has a trigger. It often goes hand in hand with POTS. It's worth looking into.

Gillian

Oh Yes, Internal heat !! I live off of freezer pops !! They cool me down. I am way past "hot flash" time but its like a really bad version of it. And my temp goes up 2 degrees when it happens. My electric bill is crazy this summer

Debbie

Hi Debbie Rose - I happened to see your recent posting on this older thread, so thought I would ask you - I chuckled when you said you were past the age of hot flashes (me too, I'm 59), so I was curious being that you were recently diagnosed in 2015 with your NCS dysautonomia.  My history is one of chronic dizziness since age of 23, but I didn't develop dysautonomia symptoms until my early 50s;  therefore, sometimes I wonder if it could be the correct diagnosis, or whether the dizziness was just the first stages of it.   So my question, did you first develop the dysautonomia later on or were you younger when you had symptoms and just not diagnosed?  Strange that I also have the fibromyalgia - I think these things go together.   Thanks for any input, or maybe any "older folk" can chime in.  I feel so sorry for younger people who have these conditions in the prime of life. 

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have experienced this being so hot inside, yet cold outside for over 2 years.  As Broken Shell said, "I feel like I'm cooking inside"  That's exactly how it is with me, plus I don't sweat.  My doctors have ruled out a problem with my thyroid, yet my acupuncturist feels it is so I have been taking a natural thyroid support system by Probiome for several months now and I haven't seen any change.  Plus I no longer have regular bowel movements.    There are times I feel like I'm going crazy.

I know God knows everything so I keep asking for guidance.

• 7 months later...

Cooking from the inside is exactly what I've had the past couple of weeks, and on rare occasions in the past. I fluctuate every few minutes between being slightly chilled (put on a sweatshirt) to burning up, but no sweat (pull the sweatshirt off) repeat, repeat, repeat. Thanks to comments on this thread, I'm trying wearing the sweatshirt, but keeping an ice pack on my belly (on top of the sweatshirt.) It's only been about 20 minutes, but so far it's an improvement. 

• 2 years later...

I’ve similar symptoms & it’s been going on for six months. No help from drs here! My skin feels damp & sweaty all the time & my body is a furnace. It’s very frustrating as you have no control & I don’t sweat. Is there any hope that this can be cured?   Praying for help. I feel exhausted most of the time & now I get so hot my nose runs & eyes tear. Does anyone have this problem and is there a fix?!  How did this happen? Thank you for listening 

33 minutes ago, Bobcat said:

I’ve similar symptoms & it’s been going on for six months. No help from drs here! My skin feels damp & sweaty all the time & my body is a furnace. It’s very frustrating as you have no control & I don’t sweat. Is there any hope that this can be cured?   Praying for help. I feel exhausted most of the time & now I get so hot my nose runs & eyes tear. Does anyone have this problem and is there a fix?!  How did this happen? Thank you for listening 

Hi Bobcat, While i can't diagnose what you are feeling i can tell you this is not a uncommon symptom that folks have with dysautonomia. I too experience exactly what you have described. I have made progress with my own battle or at least understand it better so hang in there. I have heard the Cleveland clinic is a good place to be.

The symptom of runny nose and tearing eyes can be a symptom of a histamine release (allergy) i do go thru this during the warmer months. Do you have low blood pressure by chance? I only ask because for me when my bp drops i will get very warm/hot, my skin will feel damp accompanied by a runny nose and has been a very consistent with me.

Wish you the best!