Candida And Dysautonomia

faith4christ

I have been a member for sometime but am new to actually getting on line. In fact I am trying to navigate to see where to pick up current conversations. I can only see where old discussions have taken place. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else due our powerful immune systems has experienced alot of infection and been on antibiotics alot. Like IV antibiotics. I recently saw a Dr. who has helped patients with similar symptoms to P.O.T.S when he said in fact a systemic yeast has taken over the body messing up alot of the things like hormone levels for example-

I was treated for systemic candida for about a year with oral nystatin, and was on a limited diet to try to make sure that the yeast didn't have lots of sugars to feed on. I didn't find that it helped me at all--other than I lost a bit of weight, which was a nice side effect for me at the time.

Before I was diagnosed with POTS, I saw a nutritionist who suspected something with yeast. I went on a very strict diet for about a month. It did not really help me. I just wasn't allowed to eat any sugar in the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Years back I did some food sensitivity testing (IgE? can't recall the blood work) with my primary physician. The blood work came back that I was allergic to everything I was eating. Which was remarkable to me, I couldn't figure out out of the hundreds of foods they tested, how it knew the dozen or so that was in my fridge at that time. A few months later we heard about testing for Systemic Candida and my numbers were off the charts (again, I can't recall the name of the tests we ran back then.) So I began a candida regiment that included some initial drugs to knock out what was present and the a very strict anti-candida diet for the next 9 months or so. When I was retested my levels had completely returned to normal. During the first few months of the diet, I felt considerably WORSE than before, but by the end of the year I had regained some energy and stamina and was convinced at that time it was due to the anti-candida diet.

Unfortunately as more time passed and my next bad POTS relapse came around ... we tested for systemic candida once again. This time I had all the same symptoms ... but my blood values were perfectly normal (for candida). So I needed to keep looking for other avenues and alternative healing opportunities.

In my case, over the many years since, I still maintain a sugar minimal diet. I do not eat refined or concentrated sugars of any kind. I find for me, that when my diet is whole foods (with a rotation around dairy, soy and wheat) that I do better than if I am eating haphazardly.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

~EM

the most over dx thing in 'alternative practitioners' and some nutritionists is Candida/Yeast issues.

I think it's bogus myself except in SOME people in which case, a doctor can run blood work to see if this is a problem for you.

Kind of like some kids have A.D.D. but some teachers and parents who can't discipline their kids think MOST kids have A.D.D. So have to be careful before throwing out dx. Real ADD is real but other problems should be ruled out first.

I tried the candida thing in the early 80's when I was overweight and the only benefit I got was losing weight as Nina mentioned.

Dang, I could not eat that way now. If not for junk food (and most of it I make) I would weigh 99 lbs.

But on the other hand, a diet LOADED in carbs is not good for anybody and carbs are a vasodilator which is not a good idea for most ANS issue.

If I recall correctly, a mod here got critically ill and had a REAL yeast infection in her system and made her quite ill. THUS when "Candida/yeast" is thrown around so often, it tends to annoy me..but I am a cynical/moody wench.

Hope this helps more than confuses...geesh I am rambly this morning...maybe I need to have more coffee and edit this later. :huh:

Sort of. I once had really bad stomach problems after food poisoning and had trouble digesting food for a couple of years. At that time I was super thin so this was very unhelpful and making my POTS worse. I tried all sorts of things to get rid of it. One of the things were some anti-candida pills from a health food shop. These contain an array of herbs, most notably oregano and garlic, which are supposed to get rid of candida. They certainly did something to my stomach and acted very quickly. They didn't totally get rid of my stomach problems (this needed more drastic action), but I did notice that I felt a bit better. I now occasionally go back to them for a couple of weeks if either my stomach or my sinuses are playing up (there are various reports about oregano helping sinusitis and that it can be yeast infections rather than bacterial infection that is causing the problem).

So I don't think it directly affects dysautonomia, but it can offer some mild symptom relief for me from connected issues such as when my stomach stops digesting food properly and sinusitis from vasomotor rhinitis.

• 11 years later...

I have been diagnosed with dysautonomia. I have severe shifts in blood pressure, especially when subjected to heat, to the point I almost stroke out. My pulse can be 158, even while asleep. I get dizzy spells, vertigo, insomnia, breathing irregularities, migraines, and tons of other symptoms. What's strange is that it all came on me after a bout of serious mono, where I was bedridden for over 2 years. My thyroid tanked. I developed most of these symptoms. And they seem to go away at times. I feel that I've had systemic candida for most of my life, but I've never been able to get it under control. It's interesting that as my 'dysautonomia' symptoms are coming back and getting worse, I'm having candida symptoms, like severe gas, bloating, fatigue, and extreme joint swelling. I was hoping to find information linking the two. 

Has anyone successfully gotten their candida under control? The diet did nothing for me. And I was taking tons of supplements and practically drinking Kyolic Garlic oil and Oil of Oregano regularly. Horrific.