Almost Passed Out During Glucose Test

lalalisa

Hello,

I had my glucose screening test this week that they give you during pregnancy to see if you need further testing for gestational diabetes.

Well, After drinking the glucose drink they give you I proceeded to sit in the exam room at my dr's office. I started feeling lightheaded/nauseous and decided to lie down on the exam table. I quickly realized that there was a good chance I might pass out so I carefully got down on the floor and started crawling out into the hallway to flag down a nurse or someone who could help (I didn't want to pass out alone in an exam room).

Thankfully a kind nurse saw me and began assisting me bringing cold rags for my forehead and eventually brought the dr. in. After lying on my side (the best position for blood flow when pregnant) I slowly began to regain my vision and my blood pressure began to readjust. They came to take my blood 15 minutes later and low and behold I failed my glucose test.

The good news is that the dr. thinks my sugar is high because of the stressful event that happened just before drawing my blood. Have any of you had experience with passing out and this altering your blood levels - in particular sugar levels?

My family dr. tried to explain why I probably passed out to me yesterday. He mentioned something about Osmotic Mediated Syncope and although I don't understand it all it sound like an interesting topic to study with POTS patients, digestion and syncope.

All this to say I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Thanks,

Lisa

i can say that of all my symptoms of dysautonomia, fainting or pre-syncope is not one of them. except for after i eat sugar. i nearly fainted while crossing a busy intersection not long ago because i went out for dessert with some of my friends.

what are the doctors doing for you now that you have failed the gtt?

i was 16 when i had my 1st child. i did not know i had d/a at that time. i took the glucose test you described and i passed out instantly. the next thing i remember is waking up in the docs private office on his nap bed. yes they have beds to nap on ;) .

had two more children after that and once i told my obst/gyno what had happened previously, i never had to take another one. i suppose none of them wanted a repeat of the face plant.

don't know if this helps, but i thought you should know.

and apparently i have had d/a all my life.

btw, i was treated as a gestational diabetic, with every child since the pass out, just in case, since they did not want a repeat of the 1st incidence.

hope all goes well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have also come up low on my osmo-calculated (i have no idea waht that means either)

Hello,

Thanks for your responses. It looks like I'm going to have to try the 1 hour glucose test again tomorrow. If the same thing happens I'll probably just be treated as a gestational diabetic (I will definitely be asking my dr. if there's any other way to check my glucose levels though)

Thanks again,

Lisa

I had similar reactions during both my pregnancies with near syncope during the glucose tolerance tests. I felt horrible every time I had to take them. Luckily I had someone with me each time. I failed the 1 hour test both times....but passed the 3 hour test both times. With my second child the Dr thought for sure that I had gestational diabetes but I passed the 3 hour test.

I wish I know if that meant anything with my POTS....sorry I don't have any answers.

Hope all goes will with the rest of your pregnancy and delivery !! Best Wishes !!

Hello,

I wanted to let you know that with good hydration, lying down for the entire test, and some Midodrine I made it through the 2nd 1 hour glucose test without passing out or having any weird episodes. The great news is that this time I also passed so all of my stressing about having Gestational Diabetes was in vain.

It does look like this was something that could easily happen to a POTS patient for future reference.

Thanks!

Lisa