Is Icey Burning Sensations Part Of Pots?

all4family

Hi,

I am just wondering if this is a part of pots? I get these feelings on my skin mostly my hands, but also on my chest, neck, face, and legs. It feels like a block of ice is on my hands. It especially happens when someone touches my hand. It feels like my hands, or wherever it is, has been plunged into ice. It is like the stinging burning you would get if you left it in the ice. I used to think I was having a heart attack or something when it was all over my chest.

Suzy

I get this most often on my face. Both sides, under eyes and on my cheeks. Lately I notice it also on my feet, just painful ice. But to the touch my husband says they don't feel any colder or warmer than any other part of my body.

Not sure if it POTS related or not.

Thank you EarthMother. At least I know I am not the only one with it. It always takes me off guard when it happens. Like my son's hand was a little damp, and he touched mine, and it started then, and lasted for a couple of hours. So frusterating though.

Suzy

I get this ALL the time!!! Mostly on my head and back also when someone touches me anywhere (just like you said). It's SO strange!!

Hi Hollie, yes it is so strange isn't it? I am just so relieved to know someone elses has experienced this. When it happens all over my chest all I could think was it must be a heart attack! Thank you for sharing it's good to know I'm not alone.

Suzy

Hi,

I wonder if it is part of the neuropathy if you have peripheral neuropathy. Or radiculopathy from a compressed nerve along the spine. But, for those who have it in multiple areas/all over, I am not sure this would make any sense.

And it isn't a Raynauds type reaction?

I don't think I have had it, so I am not really sure, just speculating.... :)

Hi ajw,

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't know what Raynauds is, but I will look it up. I do have a pinched nerve in my neck, wonder if that would cause it. Thanks for the "speculating" will look some stuff up now.

Suzy

I used to get this all the time before I was dx'd with POTS - now it only happens off and on. Mine alternates between the icey hot sensation and a burning hot one, depending on the day, how I'm feeling, etc. Right now as I type this, its as if a large chunk of ice is on my neck and upper back - freezing and stinging. My POTS doc advised me this is definitely POTS-related - the temperature regulation issues are just one of the many in the wonderful world of nervous systems problems for his patients. Not much to do about it though. I've been going to a cranial osteopath for this and other POTS symptoms - some others here swear by chiropractic for this as well.

Hi houdinicat, yes that is exactly what it is like an icy burning stinging and alternates with burning hot sometimes. I am soooo relieved to hear it is a pots thing, because the one on my chest is quite disturbing. Come to think of it when the neurologist was checking me for dysautonomia he put something on my foot and said this should feel hot. I nodded as it did, then he put it on my other foot, and said hot again. I began to nod yes then said no it doesn't feel hot. He had to leave it on there about 30 or 40 seconds before I felt it. I have been to a chiropracter, but stopped going because I was getting worse problems with my pain and joints popping so I thought I better not keep going. Thank you for sharing that.

jjb, I looked up raynaunds, and the picture didn't look anything like my hand. Although my hands as well as other parts of me do turn blue. My veins beome very bright blue occasionally. And when I'm not feeling good one or both of my hands turn blue. I know neuropothy is what diabetics get so is it also a pots thing? Thank you for sharing.

Suzy