Midodrine + Zantac Contradiction - Oh No!

iheartcats

I was hoping to start Zantac before my next doctor visit, but my Drug Interaction checker said to check with the doctor first, as these are contradicted.

I did further research and do see the warning about it. I was so excited to try it for my hives/allergies as I read a lot about Zantac + Zyrtec working better together than each does independently.

Before taking midodrine, talk to your doctor if you are taking any other medicines especially any of the following:

*an alpha adrenergic blocker such as alfuzosin (Uroxatral), doxazosin (Cardura), guanadrel (Hylorel), prazosin (Minipress), or terazosin (Hytrin);

*flecainide (Tambocor);

*cimetidine (Tagamet, Tagamet HB) or ranitidine (Zantac, Zantac 75);

*digoxin (Lanoxin);

*metformin (Glucophage);

*fludrocortisone (Florinef);

*triamterene (Dyrenium, Dyazide, Maxzide);

*drugs that stimulate alpha-adrenergic receptors such as pseudoephedrine, phenylephrine, ephedrine, or dihydroergotamine;

*quinidine (Quinaglute, Quinidex, Quin-Release); or

*procainamide (Procan SR, Procanbid, Pronestyl).

You may not be able to take midodrine, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you are taking any of the medicines listed above.

At one time i was prescribed both Ranitidine (Zantac) and Midodrine together. Neither my GP, Cardiologist or Pharmacist showed any concern about the combination (my pharmacy are especially fussy and often used to refuse to supply my beta-blocker until they had spoken to a doctor). I checked the leaflet in my midodrine box (well okay my Mum did as it is written in German) and there is no mention there of an interaction with Ranitidine.

Personally I took the combination without any problems but you would have to ask your own doctor about your situation. Often with midodrine they worry that our BP will get too high so it may be a case of monitoring your BP or reducing the dose of midodrine.

I hope you find a med combo that helps you,

Flop