Xanax + Zyrtec - Do They Both Affect Cns?

iheartcats

I recently switched from Allegra in the AM to Zyrtec in the PM for my allergies. The bottle and doctor warned it could cause drowsiness.

I also take Xanax as needed - I haven't taken one in a couple weeks but took one last night (typical POTS-style feeling of over-stimulation and couldn't relax).

I've never taken Xanax and Zyrtec together, and while separately they've been ok, today I've been way more tachy than usual. It's uncomfortably high, especially standing.

Could the combination of the two medications cause this? I think I'll avoid taking Xanax again unless absolutely necessary if so...should the Xanax (.25mg, smallest dose available) be out of my system soon? My doctor said occasional use of Xanax wouldn't cause rebound/withdrawal symptoms, especially at this low dose, so I don't think it's that.

Thanks for any help - I hate being this tachy - I'm worn out.

I recently switched from Allegra in the AM to Zyrtec in the PM for my allergies. The bottle and doctor warned it could cause drowsiness.

I also take Xanax as needed - I haven't taken one in a couple weeks but took one last night (typical POTS-style feeling of over-stimulation and couldn't relax).

I've never taken Xanax and Zyrtec together, and while separately they've been ok, today I've been way more tachy than usual. It's uncomfortably high, especially standing.

Could the combination of the two medications cause this? I think I'll avoid taking Xanax again unless absolutely necessary if so...should the Xanax (.25mg, smallest dose available) be out of my system soon? My doctor said occasional use of Xanax wouldn't cause rebound/withdrawal symptoms, especially at this low dose, so I don't think it's that.

Thanks for any help - I hate being this tachy - I'm worn out.

Hi,

Just from my experience with xanax, and it wasn't a good one. I had a lot of problems with it. I became much sicker on it than off it. When I had to withdrawl off it (it was prescribed for "anxiety" not dysautonmia) I met a lot of people who had only taken very small doses, and they did have reboun withdrawl. I had bad tachacardia continuously while on it, and it improved when I stopped it. But I am only telling you my experience. I don't know your situation, and I am certainly not a Dr. But if it happens again be sure to take note of what you took, and let your doctor know. I just wanted you to know that xanax does bother some people, and the people I know don't even have dysautonomia. I do hope you figure it out, and you feel better.

Suzy

I checked, and it's regular Zyrtec. I've accidentally taken a "D" type thing once and that was not very good.

Zyrtec was fine in and of itself for a few days, no worse symptoms than usual. Nothing got really out of the ordinary until the Xanax last night.

Well, I'll hope I improve in the next couple of days and stay away from Xanax for now. Not sure what else I can do. Just hoping it gets out of my system fast. It's been about 18 hours now. :(

Hmmm. Maybe the two together were just too much of something. Frustrating, as usual.

Hi,

Just from my experience with xanax, and it wasn't a good one. I had a lot of problems with it. I became much sicker on it than off it. When I had to withdrawl off it (it was prescribed for "anxiety" not dysautonmia) I met a lot of people who had only taken very small doses, and they did have reboun withdrawl. I had bad tachacardia continuously while on it, and it improved when I stopped it. But I am only telling you my experience. I don't know your situation, and I am certainly not a Dr. But if it happens again be sure to take note of what you took, and let your doctor know. I just wanted you to know that xanax does bother some people, and the people I know don't even have dysautonomia. I do hope you figure it out, and you feel better.

Suzy

Were you on it everyday or almost everyday? I've probably taken...maybe 7 in the last 5 weeks. I hadn't taken one for 2 weeks until last night.

Maybe this isn't the medication for me - I'd rather not be this tachy again and I guess I can get by without taking it for now since I went 2 weeks, anyway.

My doctor said I wouldn't have any withdrawal from minimal occasional use - so I hope I don't. I try to be careful.

Cat lover, maybe something else has upset your symptoms and caused the tachy (and therefore made you need the Xanax in the first place)?

I hope you're not coming down with a cold or anything? Look after yourself and keep well hydrated. Hopefully this symptom will pass as mysteriously and quickly as it came.

Flop

I feel 'ok' - just some generalized stress (and who doesn't have that) - but it just added up last night & I couldn't sleep.

Well. I'll avoid Xanax + Zyrtec at least until I get used to the Zyrtec (I always give new meds a month). Why I am so sensitive to meds is a whole other issue I think a lot of us share.

But yes - D is not a good thing for me (and a lot of POTS patients, I suppose). Although a Latte does me WONDER in the morning and I'll take that happily over not being able to take D stuff. :(

And I do hope I'm not coming down with anything. I don't feel like it...fingers crossed.

Hi,

Suzy

Were you on it everyday or almost everyday? I've probably taken...maybe 7 in the last 5 weeks. I hadn't taken one for 2 weeks until last night.

Maybe this isn't the medication for me - I'd rather not be this tachy again and I guess I can get by without taking it for now since I went 2 weeks, anyway.

My doctor said I wouldn't have any withdrawal from minimal occasional use - so I hope I don't. I try to be careful.

Hi,

I was eventually on it every day, but my medication was very badly managed. I began having severe reactions to it from the first time I took it. instead of recognizing the problem with the xanax they had me take more, figuring it would stop my severe heart rate and blood pressure fluctuations. Eventually a neurologist recognized that it was the medication causing it, now I had to withdrawl off of it. But almost on the first day of stopping I began improving. Even with the withdrawl symptoms. I am not trying to say that is what your problem is. Just to share my experience with you. We all know our own bodies, and you know best what you are feeling. And like someone else said it could be from something else. I hope you get feeling better soon.

Suzy

Both drugs depress the CNS. Taken together, you may have had a paradoxical effect. There is a contra-indication on Rx-list.com:

Use with Other CNS Depressants

If XANAX Tablets are to be combined with other psychotropic agents or anticonvulsant drugs, careful consideration should be given to the pharmacology of the agents to be employed, particularly with compounds which might potentiate the action of benzodiazepines. The benzodiazepines, including alprazolam, produce additive CNS depressant effects when co-administered with other psychotropic medications, anticonvulsants, antihistaminics, ethanol and other drugs which themselves produce CNS depression.

What are you like on a higher dose? If you don't know, don't try it! I have a paradoxical reaction to Benadryl, it does not sedate me. My Dad (pharmacist) had me switch to Allegra because it exerts the least CNS effects. You may have pushed it a bit too far with both together.

Both drugs depress the CNS. Taken together, you may have had a paradoxical effect. There is a contra-indication on Rx-list.com:

Use with Other CNS Depressants

If XANAX Tablets are to be combined with other psychotropic agents or anticonvulsant drugs, careful consideration should be given to the pharmacology of the agents to be employed, particularly with compounds which might potentiate the action of benzodiazepines. The benzodiazepines, including alprazolam, produce additive CNS depressant effects when co-administered with other psychotropic medications, anticonvulsants, antihistaminics, ethanol and other drugs which themselves produce CNS depression.

What are you like on a higher dose? If you don't know, don't try it! I have a paradoxical reaction to Benadryl, it does not sedate me. My Dad (pharmacist) had me switch to Allegra because it exerts the least CNS effects. You may have pushed it a bit too far with both together.

I've never tried a higher does of Xanax...so from what I understand what I took (.25mg) in addition to Zyrtec may have made my does similar to a 'double dose' or similar (ie .50mg)? Hmmm...I am starting to feel more 'normal' tachy, not the excessive levels of earlier today. I may have pushed it too far. Good to know.

I'm liking Zyrtec for my allergies more than Allegra, but it doesn't seem like it'll work with Xanax. Found out the hard way!

I can tolerate these drugs once in great while. But if I take them more than two days consecutively, they will trigger pots symptoms. Not just tachy either. It will worsen all of my dys symptoms as well is causes some pretty intense feelings of nervousness and also triggers RLS/PLMD symptoms. Antihistamines are pretty well known for trigger seizures and exasperating or even causing movement disorders ... symptoms of anxiety and restlessness and so on.

For me, benedryl is the worse, then zytec. Clariton has the least amount of side effects, but it also is not very a very effective antihistamine for me.

I use flonase or veramyst.

I have similar effects from benzodiazepines (such as xanax).

I can tolerate these drugs once in great while. But if I take them more than two days consecutively, they will trigger pots symptoms. Not just tachy either. It will worsen all of my dys symptoms as well is causes some pretty intense feelings of nervousness and also triggers RLS/PLMD symptoms. Antihistamines are pretty well known for trigger seizures and exasperating or even causing movement disorders ... symptoms of anxiety and restlessness and so on.

For me, benedryl is the worse, then zytec. Clariton has the least amount of side effects, but it also is not very a very effective antihistamine for me.

I use flonase or veramyst.

I have similar effects from benzodiazepines (such as xanax).

Hi,

I am just curious about the effects of the benzos on you? Most people I talk to have trouble coming off xanax. I was sicker on it than even the withdrawl (which was bad) made me feel. I had such serious side effects from taking xanax that my urine was very dark brown, and well just a lot of severe symptoms. My sickest time, was when I started, and while I was on those drugs. I also had 2 abnormal EEG'S that weren't seziures, but were abnormal. One when on the drugs one when off. The tests were opposite each other. They were also opposite from what effect the drug should have had. I am just curious if this has something to do with dysautonomia, or if possibly it could have maybe triggered it? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Suzy

Cat-Lady,

Why are you taking both Allegra and Zyrtec? They are each a once a day dose.

Right now I am just taking Zyrtec in the PM. I switched from Allegra in the AM because the allergist said Zyrtec would help with my hives more than Allegra (I think it is).

He also said if my hives became severe again, I could do Allegra in the AM and Zytec in the PM. Not ideal, but if my symptoms get severe it's an option.

Fortunately, they haven't been and I told him I'd rather avoid that as I'm sensitive to medications.

So I was just on a Zyrtec + .25mg Xanax and that didn't mix well for me. I'm feeling better today, just really fatigued (because I was so tachy and things yesterday). So it looks like it was the Xanax + Zyrtec combo because nothing else has varied.