Nerve Conduction Studies

summer

This was actually really painful for me. The person doing the test says it varies by person - some could fall asleep during it and others are in tears. I was closer to being in tears...

I had one of these done when I was seeing a neurologist and I was still being diagnosed. I didn't show any nerve damage...I think just a touch of carpal tunnel in my arms. The sensation is really weird but not too painful or uncomfortable.

Blessings,

Lisa

I had this done (results were normal), I would describe the sensation as like being flicked with an elastic band (sharp but quick). I also had a test done where they put a cold probe on my skin and then heated it up, I had to tell them as soon as I felt it get warm (that test was normal too).

Flop

Guest tearose

It depends on what type of study you are having. The EMG has a needle part and a zapping part. When I had both parts of the EMG, I cried during and after! It was extremely painful. They did find thoracic outlet syndrome though. The next time I had a study it was only the zapping/electric part and it did not hurt.

best wishes,

tearose

I have had this done multiple times. It's uncomfortable for me, but not painful enough for me to avoid the tests. I do have nerve damage--mine show slower conduction in several areas, particularly in my arms/hands.

Nina

Thank you all for your replies. It's interesting to hear the differences in how all of you experienced this testing. Just wondering as well, if any nerve damage was found, did it effect your treatment plan or your diagnosis? Was the nerve damage thought to be the cause of your POTS/dysautonomia?

Thanks so much for your help!

Summer

My nerve damage has nothing directly to do with my dysautonomia. Mine was from the nerves having pressure on them at the points where the nerves come out of the spinal column. I needed surgery to clean out the scar tissues that were pressing on the nerves and also to stabilize my spine. I have a collagen defect which is similar to EDS.

Nina