Antibiotics And Yeast Infection

Maxine

:(

Well, this time I was able to complete the full dose of ceftin antibiotics that was for the strep throat, and I think I may have a yeast infection. I have noticed even before the antibiotics that I would itch down there, but now it's crazy after completing the antibiotics. A crazy itch, and burning. I noticed a small amount of discharge starting tonight. Sorry for the graphics. I just finished the last dose of ceftin today.

This is only the second time, but it seems like the first, as I was only 17 when I had the first, and barely remember.

At first I thought it might be the baby oil gel I apply on my dry legs, as sometimes I soak in the tub for a while after. Sometimes some of the soaps I use irritate the area, and it passes in a couple days. I only use lever soap to clean this area, and other fancy body washes only on my outside body. The itching I have had wasn't as severe, and cleared on it's own, and I assume it's been some of the body wash if I soak after bathing.

Now this is different. Cleaning and itching would make me bleed so easily, and I always use a soft cloth. Sorry, this is so blunt. I can feel my heart beat down there-------------- :(

Should I call my gyno, or just pick up the over the counter stuff? I don't know if I can wait until Monday, the itch makes me want to climb the walls.

Well, this is the first time it happened from antibiotics.

:o:o:o:o:o:o

Maxine :0)

Go to your pharmacist and they will advise the best thing they can give you OTC, creams are messy but they are so soothing. In the UK you can buy a fluconazole tablet from the pharmacy but if you need a prescription I would get in touch with either your PCP or your gynaecologist.

Antibiotics kill off the bad guys (strep) but also the friendly bacteria which allows yeasts to overgrow and cause problems like thrush. After taking antibiotics it is a good idea to to eat live yoghurt or take the pro-biotic drinks to help put the good bugs back in your system. I've heard that other people actually put live yoghurt down there to soothe the itching (I've never tried this myself and guess it would be very messy!).

Take care,

Flop

Maxine,

EVERY time I have to take an antibiotic, I also take acidophilus tablets/capsules at the midpoint between doses. If you take it with the antibiotic, the good bacteria will simply die once it comes into contact with the medication and never get into your gut. It helps me with many of the nasty side effects including yeast overgrowth. I do the same with my kids when they have to take antibiotics for ear infections, strep, etc. Get new acidophilus every year or so and don't keep it over your stove or where it gets warm or it will die and be ineffective.

Feel better!

Jennifer

I also always take yogurt with Antibiotics. Make sure it's an organic yogurt with lots of live active cultures - the sweetened stuff doesn't help and can make the yeast infection worse.

Antibiotics kill my stomach long before they cause a yeast infection, so I take the yogurt to keep my intestines happy. I start eating yogurt on the second day of the antibiotics and usually I can get through most of the course.

Sara

I've also been told by my gyno on a Friday evening, that applying yogurt to the affected area can help, but I'm loathe to try it. (Eww, gross, etc)

Thanks for your replies. :)

I haven't taken anything yet, but did pick up monistat 7 day treatment. I thought I should call my gyno in the morning first.

I don't like yogurt, but have tolerated the flavored kinds. I notice those screw up my intestines, I end up consitpated, and I know it's supposed to be the opposite. I have tried the activia, but the same thing. I'm sure I would need to eat a fair amount to work for the yeast infection on top of the treatment.

I'm totally ignorant about these infections. It's been 32 years since I had one. I never had any female problems, not even when I took antibiotics previously. After my POTS hit me hard I couldn't tolerate antibiotics well at all. I remember taking them just before I crashed for bronchitis. I had to take them twice because the infection was really bad, and still didn't get a yeast infection.

Swallowing pills is very dificult for me, so those acidophilus pills would be out.

I wish the flavored yogurts worked out well for my intestines, then it would help for both my constipation issues, and the yeast infection.

Thanks again for your advice.

Maxine :0)

Maxine,

You don't have to swallow the pills! If you get the capsules, you can open them and sprinkle the powder on something like jelly or chocolate syrup to kill the flavor, don't do honey, it will kill the bacteria. This is what I did with my kids before they could swallow pills. They also make chewable tablets of acidophilus! They even have dairy free acidophilus (a bit harder to find!)

Well so far I have not called the Doc. My husband had a couple days off, so we have been doing other things. I did get the monistat 7, but only used the outside tube of cream for itching--- :) IT helped a lot. I don't seem to have any major discharge at all, could a yeast infection go away on it's own? I shower or bathe daily and use only lever soap, and have never had a problem with this soap or dial. Any other soaps can't be used----especially DOVE.

I'm keeping a close eye on things, and hope this just goes away on it's own. I will be calling gyno for my yearly soon, but if this doesn't clear, I'll break down and call sooner. As it is I need to call for a new PCP, call my orthopedic surgeon's office because they were supposed to send prescription for new set of spine MRI's in Dec., and I'm waiting for the general surgeon to call with colonoscopy date ect. I just feel reall burned out with docs------ :P

Thank you for all your help----------I really appreciate it!

Maxine :0)rose4.gif