Allergies And Inhalers

rymac

When I'm around pet dander I have trouble breathing. I was told to avoid stimulants and steroids. I think inhalers are a steroid. I've been thinking I shouldn't use one.

I've been around a lot of pet dander during the holidays and now a have a cough with chest congestion. I know I have an infection. The combination of cold weather and pet dander is almost a guarantee I will get sick. I feel I can never live in a home with a pet.

I use the NeilMed sinus rinse. I'm going to the Doctor Monday. Any thought on using an inhaler and allergies??

I hate taking medicines, but have learned sometimes you have to... :/ I'm a bad patient about trying new medicines!

I went through about 4 inhalers and finally found Nasacort AQ. Many others did not work for my allergies, but this did (I only take it during my worst allergy times, usually Spring and Fall).

This may not work for you, but it's the one I really found useful.

Everyone responds differently to medications, personally I feel much better on steroids. Taking a steroid nasal spray or a steroid asthma inhaler is much less likely to cause problems that tablets. The inhalers/sprays take very small doses of the steroid directly to where the inflammation is (nose/lungs) and not much of it is absorbed into the body.

If are worried about taking even this small dose of steroids then another option would be to use cromoglycate which you can get for both the nose and the lungs.

Some people find that they get tachycardia and tremors after using salbutamol type inhalers but if you have a very tight chest it is probably batter to be able to breathe better and just wait for the tachy to wear off.

Flop

I have asthma, and while I try to minimize how often I take my albuterol because it makes me feel jumpy and tremulous, it doesn't trigger severe tachycardia in me or anything. So I think it varies from person to person, and some people can safely take the inhalers. On top of that, I know I've read that it's important for dys control to keep allergies/asthma under good control, so I would put a priority on getting those allergies in check.

I have asthma and feel pretty terrible after using my inhaler (very tachy, shaky) but I don't have to use it very often because I take singulair and clarinex to keep my allergies and asthma mostly under control. Also, I try to avoid triggers when I can (cigarette smoke) but we have two dogs at home, and I'm allergic so I just wash my hands after I touch them so I don't rub dander into my eyes or anything.

Meg