A 'not-so-good 'start To 2009 For Mike.

willows

My son ,Mike has been complaining of pain in his face for a couple of days now and then last night he started saying his teeth hurt :( so here I go again I thought 'like mother , like son ' as I get the most horrendous facial pain etc, but not so ............well almost ........not so :blink:

10 Years ago now I had to have 2 wisdom teeth removed as they had become impacted and when the hospital dentist took them out ( it took 1+1/2 hours to remove the things ) instead of the gums bleeding them closing over , mine as you would expect by now with my so called 'luck' well they did the exact opposite

My gums just went silly and receded back making the holes bigger and then my jaw bone sort of fell through the hole , pain ..............pain and even more pain .

I had daily treatment for 6 weeks in an effort to stop the pain and the holes getting bigger , lost over 2 stone in weight and in the end they couldnt stop the bones from comming thorough and I had to have my gums opened up and part of my jaw bone cut away ,they then stitch the whole lot up , it was painful beyond belief and I was awake the whole time ..........not one of my better experciences.

So, Mike starts to get pain in the jaw and mum here gets her torch and what do I see .............OMG :o a huge swelling at the back of his lower tooth line and I do mean huge!!!!!!!!!!

Called our dentist today and Mike was seen immediately , X-rays taken and standing looking at the full mouth x-ray was shocking ...............his two upper wisdom teeth are there and are starting to descend correctly , but his two lower ones are sideways on :blink: the root of the tooth points towards his throat and the crown ( top) of both of his bottom wisdom's are lodged against the side of his lower front teeth ......solid .

When the dentist first saw the x-rays he said dont worry there is every chance they may move around , then he looked again......... closely..........and said 'may be NOT' errrrrrrrrr, right ...........er , sorry Mike but I dont think you stand a chance of having those teeth move , other then pushing your normal front teeth out of place '

I'm about to fill in all the medical history because Mikes off to hospital as soon as we can arrange it with a consultant dentist ( hopefully in the next week or so ) as he's got to go into hospital and have both of the lower sideways on wisdom's out under general anesthetic ( which should be great fun for us all again ...............not )

At this time Mikes in some pain as the skin over one of the teeth is so swollen its the size of a large broad bean and everytime he bites on something he's eating himself as well :( so he's not wanting to eat , which in turn is effecting his medication which in turn is effecting his pain , headaches, dizziness ..................... well what can I say ?

Hello 2009 and welcome to a brand new 'lets see what else we can inflict on the 3 people in Deepest Darkest Devon year '

Happy new year to you all Ami , Mark and Mike.xxxxxxxxxxx

P.S. Mark my 'I can do anything husband ' has a new and exciting game to play its called ' lets fall down when ones right knee gives out disappearing behind settees, trees, chairs, beds and anything thats large enough to cover you , whilst letting out a high pitched sort of half scream......half sound of a strangled cat ' and then when people find you rolling around on the ground , well you just smile sweetly and say 'what ?' everything OK dear ?' oh, yes indeed dear , this is a funny game .............NOT ?

Question : Will my boys ever learn ??????

Answers below or suggestions as what to do to keep them both from harm ??? straight jackets perhaps?????

Ami, I am so sorry! I had to have all four of my wisdom teeth out. The oral surgeon started working before i was completely under (I am hard to sedate) and then I had three dry sockets! Keep him hydrated and try oragel (topical teething anesthetic for babies) in the meantime. At least they can break the teeth to get them out without yanking. Good luck! I hope your men don't make you crazy! :blink:

Happy New Year

Hi Ami, oooowwww Mike! My upper wisdom teeth were starting to impact on an x-ray taken in my late teens so my orthodontist had my dentist remove my upper 7s to make room for the upper 8s (wisdom teeth) to come through.

At the same time I was told that my lower 8s had crowns but no roots so would never erupt - hmm, I now have twisted sideways half-erupted lower 8s! I'm reluctant to admit to my dentist that they cause me pain as I can't imagine how they could go about removing them.

I hope Mike gets his sorted asap with as little disruption as possible to his POTS. In the mean time things like hearty soups, ice cream and milkshakes (even build-up shakes) are a good way of getting calories without having to chew.

Flop

I'm so sorry....but it sounds too familiar. My son, Mack, has spent this entire Christmas break getting over wisdom teeth extraction. We had to go back to the hospital for IV fluids/pain meds as he couldn't swallow for over 24 hours following the surgery. Then, an awful virus, then dry socket, then a sinus infection, etc. I'm waiting for him to break a leg to round out the holiday. He was out of bed for a few hours today....I've got my fingers crossed.

I pray your son has an easier time than mine or YOU did. Keep us posted!

Julie

Thank for your replies all and I do hope Mack is feeling a bit better now Julie , please send on Mike and my warmest wishes to him and lets hope he can start to feel a lot better now the teeth are out .

Its almost 2 am here and poor old Mikes sitting in bed on his lap top feeling awful , he's so tired but if he lays down and rolls onto his sides he sets of the pain even more so sitting up helps in away.

Earlier today we had 2 of his best mates around for new years lunch and poor old Mike was eating so slowly it was so sad to see him , he normally loves my cooking and I'd made a huge 4 kilo gammon ham with caramelized fresh pineapple and all the veggies I could squeeze onto a plate for everyone ( and a lovely raspberry cheesecake for dessert) but Mike just could chew ............and No he refuses to eat soups, milkshakes and all other soft and drinkable things , he's a man you see......... :) and real men dont eat soup just because they have pain ( nope, they suffer and struggle and dose themselves up with painkillers so they keep falling asleep at the dinner table ..........oh, now that real enough)

I'm calling the dentist today at around 10 am to find out whats going on and if I discover that its 'not a lot' then I am of a mind to wait until around 7 pm this evening when Mikes at his worst then just drive him up to A & E , the lump on top of the right sided wisdom is now even bigger and it keeps bleeding so before long he'll get an infection at this rate and then be even worse than he is as he cannot fight a feather let alone big bugs right now.

Come to think about it I will call our Doctor as soon as the surgery opens and take him to see her , I'm sure she will call the hospital and sort something out if I know her as she hates to think of Mike and I suffering just because people dont understand what our condition is like and how it effects our bodies.

Mikes really having a bad time of it right now as the pain keeps rising to 8 -10 and if this carries on he'll need more than the painkillers he's on , which is very worrying .

I'll let you know what happens later on today ......Ami.

Oh Dear, Ami.... At the very least Mike's got extractions in his near future. I hope the lump's nothing serious, maybe an infection to work out before they can yank 'em. We're sending very empathetic thoughts across the pond. Mack's just had a dressing (from a dry socket) removed yesterday. The enormous hole it left grossed him out so badly, he fell asleep immediately upon coming home (his way of dealing with almost anything.) He claims he can see his jaw bone. Yuck!!!! Please let us know what's next for poor Mike.

Julie

I hate to say this Julie but he probably can see his jaw bone as I could see mine before they cut back the gums and broke the bone back so they could sew the huge holes up I had in my gums............not nice at all , it took me daily treatment from the hospital for 6-7 weeks until I was able to eat properly so you tell Mack I'm thinking of him and to rest as much as he can to get his strength back from what I felt was just the most awful ordeal .

Strange isn't it that Mack had this dry socket and so did I ,I wonder if POTS ( or related illness from this ) means that we all end up with problems based around things which so called 'norms' (people without Pots) dont get , I was told that it was 1 in a million people who get this dry socket and then gums that receded exposing the jaw bones.

Anyhow, Mikes been very unwell today , he looks like death warmed up , so yellow and pale at the same time !!! He hasn't even got out of bed today he's felt so ill and this for Mike is just unheard of . Today he's got a 17 birthday bash to go to , but I feel that my son will not be going or if he does I'll be collecting him about 2-3 hours later from A * E because he's 'hit the floor' I'm hoping that he will listen to me about this and say put here .

So if you read my jaw diagnosis you will now know that whilst Mikes having his teeth extracted I'll be at the maxillofacial surgeon having metal plates put into my face to bring it back together ...........what a start to 2009 , I do hope it improves a bit ...........possibly a lotto win would be nice after all our surgeries so we could go on an extra long holiday , well we can dream cant we .

Love to mack and all Ami .xxxxxxxx

Oh Dear,

To have to face all of those surgeries- not to mention Gilbert- and the year's barely begun....I wonder too about POTS, a connective tissue disorder or something that's caused you and Mack to both have such awful dry socket. Mack, like you I'm sure, did everything right to promote healing: lots of ice, no sucking, no straws, no spitting, etc. We thought that by following the rules, he wouldn't get a copmplication. No such luck.

I'm sorry you and Mike have so much going on. I hope Mike's perked up a bit. Our teens seem to get more energy as the sun goes down- no matter how badly they feel during the day. I hope that's the case with Mike. Please be sure and let us know how you both get along with your surgeries.

Julie